Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AutoLinea Alu Case with 2 or 6 shuffle pins?
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
StefansBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: AutoLinea Alu Case with 2 or 6 shuffle pins? Reply with quote

So I was wondering: AutoLinea offer their alu type 1 case with a choice of either two or six shuffle pins.

What are everyone's opinions and more importantly experiences with two versus six pins?

CB performance offer their version of the Auto Linea alu case with six pins, while a well known dealer and builder here in Germany (Ahnendorp) says on their website they won't sell the six pin version of the case as it has shown to warp/flex under load....

Enlighten me, please

Thanks

Stefan
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: AutoLinea Alu Case with 2 or 6 shuffle pins? Reply with quote

What you building.

Shuffle pins are not needed on a street engine under 200 HP.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: AutoLinea Alu Case with 2 or 6 shuffle pins? Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
What you building.

Shuffle pins are not needed on a street engine under 200 HP.

X2

https://www.facebook.com/mofoco?ref=ts&fref=ts

www.mofoco.com

Cylinder Head Reference Sheet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
StefansBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: AutoLinea Alu Case with 2 or 6 shuffle pins? Reply with quote

Thanks guys. But the question is general in nature and not related to a specific build. Any experience with 2 versus 6 pins?
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: AutoLinea Alu Case with 2 or 6 shuffle pins? Reply with quote

Most people aren't capable of doing shuffle pins....

Its difficult to do it correctly.

Doing 6 is even far more difficult than 2.

I put them in every performance build I have done in the last 30 years or so.... Every one of those engine that I have rebuilt have much less distortion in the main bearing bores.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I don't use the P.M. service on here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
StefansBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoLinea Alu Case with 2 or 6 shuffle pins? Reply with quote

Thanks Joe. Good to hear.

Now wit regards to the AutoLinea Alu cases: They come from the factory with either two or six pins. Still not sure what the pros and cons are between the two versions.

Again, Ahenndorp in Germany say they won't use the six-pin version but CB sell only the six-pin cases.

And others, such as you Joe, have obviously had good luck with six pins in type one cases, I guess mag and alu both.
Type 5 Joe
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: AutoLinea Alu Case with 2 or 6 shuffle pins? Reply with quote

It really doesn't matter what case you use, they have the same benefit.

I do mostly Mag cases and Wasserboxer conversion cases... Type 5 / Oxyboxer.

I have done some Aluminum AutoLinea cases, and others.... I don't believe any case comes from the factory shuffle pinned.

I would imagine CB Performance does theirs, and other vendors do it too, or send it out.

There is no sense having shuffle pins if they aren't done with extreme accuracy, and have tight registration on all of the pins / bores.

Whatever you choose, I would pay with a Visa credit card, or some other form of payment that guarantees you get your money back if you don't like the case.

I don't use the P.M. service on here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: AutoLinea Alu Case with 2 or 6 shuffle pins? Reply with quote

I think both of my cases are 2 pin, I wood rather have 6 pin. if they are blaming the extra pins on case flex they may have another issue and looking to blame something., the pins should not cause it to flex.but should help keep the cases aligined and eliminate any case fretting from high hp.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: AutoLinea Alu Case with 2 or 6 shuffle pins? Reply with quote

If two pins are good, I think 6 would be better... I never gave it much thought, but both my cases have/had 6 pins... To me just two pins are job 1/3 done...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoLinea Alu Case with 2 or 6 shuffle pins? Reply with quote

StefansBus wrote:
So I was wondering: AutoLinea offer their alu type 1 case with a choice of either two or six shuffle pins.

What are everyone's opinions and more importantly experiences with two versus six pins?

CB performance offer their version of the Auto Linea alu case with six pins, while a well known dealer and builder here in Germany (Ahnendorp) says on their website they won't sell the six pin version of the case as it has shown to warp/flex under load....

Enlighten me, please

Thanks

Stefan

My EMPI Auto Linea aluminum case came with 6 shuffle pins.

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
StefansBus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: AutoLinea Alu Case with 2 or 6 shuffle pins? Reply with quote

Thanks guys. So the consensus seems to be: Most street engines may not need shuffle pins but they don't hurt and while having two of them is better than none, six are better than two. Do I have that correct?

On a related note: Would you guys say for a turbocharged street engine with about 250 to 300 hp from about 2 to 2.3 liters displacement, shuffle pins are a must or at least strongly recommended?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: