Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AC Industries Rear Disc Issues
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arkansauced
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: AC Industries Rear Disc Issues Reply with quote

With 3 young kids itís hard to find extended periods of time to work on the Thing. And because my apparent ineptitude it takes me twice as long and multiple blunders to get a job done!

We moved out to TX from CA (third time Iíve moved the Thing cross country by trailer in the last 6 years). Had the car up on blocks prior to the move to put AC Industries discs on all 4 corners. Threw those on in time for the move and ran into an issue where the E-brake cables provided in the kit were a couple inches too long. Strapped the car down and didnít worry about it until we got to Tx. Finally found some time to troubleshoot again. Called AC industries and they sent me cables that were supposed to be shorter. Installed those and Iíve still got a similar problem. (Also had a hell of a time getting the front portion of the cables through the channel in the chassis, had to use a flat head screwdriver and a hammer to jam them through, ineptitude eg)

Pic below shows how much longer the cable is than needed. This is with the bolts on the lever bracket (wrong terminology) tightened all the way down and the lever in the down (not engaged) position.

Car is on stands in front and angled backwards a bit and my rear torsion bars are a bit saggy and Iím wondering if thatís part of the issue, but it still seems too long.

One option would be to crimp the cable further up, but Iím concerned a bit about safety.

Looking for thoughts from anyone thatís done this install or input on how yíall would resolve. According to AC industries/So Cal Auto Parts they havenít run into this issue before.

Another aside, A1 Performance Thing Sidewinder Header/Muffler combo interferes with the passenger side rear caliper when the suspension is compressed, working with A1 to either notch the muffler or put a smaller (and unfortunately louder) one on there.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Hyatt181
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: AC Industries Rear Disc Issues Reply with quote

Iíve installed different sets on 3 things.

EMPI, CB Performance, and a set from Aircooled.net.

Both EMPI and CB has cables that were to long so I used cable u-nuts to lock them in place.

On the set from Aircooled.net the rotors were marked as latest rage and the cables fit perfectly. So Iím not sure yet how to order more but will be looking into it.
Arkansauced
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: AC Industries Rear Disc Issues Reply with quote

Appreciate the feedback. U-nuts are a good idea, makes it easy to adjust later. I also found a cable shortening kit from So Cal, similar to a throttle shortening kit but with the threaded section. Wish they wouldíve suggested this to me initially!!

Will update you all on how the front and rear kits work out once I put some miles on them.

Happy Weekend!

Link below for future reference:

https://socalautoparts.com/product/cable-shortening-kit-for-e-brake-cable-all-hardware-incl/
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: