Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Piranha Mach V buggy
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buggy5872
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject: Piranha Mach V buggy Reply with quote

I bought this buggy a couple weeks ago and started restoring it. Originally I thought it was a Bandit buggy made by dune buggies inc of Colorado. Turns out it was when the company first started making them and was called Designers Manufacturing Inc. in 1967-68. It was called Piranha Mach V at the time. The name changed in 1969 to Dune Buggies Inc and they changed the name to Bandit and sold them through Montgomery Ward Catalog. So far I pulled the body off, stripped the pan, needs floor pan work, rebuilt a stock 1600 and went through the tranny. I had a buggy years go and thought it would be something fun we could put in our toy hauler camper to take with us.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Piranha Mach V buggy Reply with quote

Nice find! Love the wheels (with still old bias-ply tires) and the gold flake finish. Looks like it had weathered the harsh wether in PA very well.
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Piranha Mach V buggy Reply with quote

Good for you, 72... It's nice to see there are still some treasures to be found in the weeds. Sounds like you're the rightful finder.

Jim
Manx #2614
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Piranha Mach V buggy Reply with quote

That's very cool. If you send me more photos of that logo/seal, I can make you a replacement for when you're finished the restoration.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buggy5872
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Piranha Mach V buggy Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
That's very cool. If you send me more photos of that logo/seal, I can make you a replacement for when you're finished the restoration.

That would be great....I'll try to get some more pics. I might just buff the gel coat out and run it for now. There were 2 about 4" ones on the hood and 2 about 8" ones on the side.
buggy5872
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Piranha Mach V buggy Reply with quote

Here is a pic of the engine.....just built a stock one for reliability since we will be taking it with us camping. I thought about putting the 1915 out of my bug in it but it can be fussy at times....

I have half the floor pan done and have started on the other side. For some reason they had made a battery box under the driver seat so I had to cut out and replace all of that mess.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: