Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake Master cylinder replacement....
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
m3456y
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Brake Master cylinder replacement.... Reply with quote

Can this be done without removing the fuel tank?
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Master cylinder replacement.... Reply with quote

Yes.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Master cylinder replacement.... Reply with quote

Yes. I'd recommend jack stands and remove the front driver side wheel.

Brake master cylinder hints
Hints (first get a repair manual):
1. Use a baster or similar to pull brake fluid out of the reservoir before starting.
2. Use an 11mm flare wrench for initial loosening and final tightening of the nuts on the brake lines.
3. Pull brake lines back GENTLY, don't bend.
4. Leave mounting bolts in place in the pan when loosening (socket and extension), so the spacers don't fall in and get lost forever. If you do need to make them. They are 1.088 inches long, OD is 0.474 inches, ID is 0.315 inches.
5. Bench bleed the new MC before installing; yeah, some fluid will drip out, enough will stay in.
6. Thread in the line nuts before mounting the MC, so there's a little wiggle room to thread them in several turns, by hand.
7. Have a helper hold/maneuver the MC into position so you can get the two mounting bolts installed.
8. Use a flare wrench final tightening of the nuts on the brake lines.
9. Adjust brakes manually with a screwdriver, all four wheels.
10. Bleed all four wheel cylinders.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Master cylinder replacement.... Reply with quote

I can be done with one person but two or an assistant is way better. Be aware of the sleeves that are in the fire wall. Another words don't remove the bolts all of the way as you will loose the sleeves. Wish I had an exploded view.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Master cylinder replacement.... Reply with quote

here's one. part 17 is the sleeve/spacer - correct orientaion of bolt 18 is at bottom of page. Wink
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake Master cylinder replacement.... Reply with quote

m3456y wrote:

I have changed master cylinders with the fuel tank installed and with the fuel tank removed. To remove the tank is simple - 4 bolts. It’s better if the tank is empty or at least low on fuel.

I removed the tank for the last master cylinder replacement I did as I was converting from a single circuit to dual circuit m/c and replacing all the steel lines. Having the tank removed made things much easier in that case. Also I spotted a very marginal steering coupler. Having the tank removed makes that job easier. When just changing the m/c and no other work, I just remove left front wheel and use axle stands.
m3456y
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Master cylinder replacement.... Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:

1. Use a baster or similar to pull brake fluid out of the reservoir before starting.
2. Use an 11mm flare wrench for initial loosening and final tightening of the nuts on the brake lines.
4. Leave mounting bolts in place in the pan when loosening (socket and extension), so the spacers don't fall in and get lost forever. If you do need to make them. They are 1.088 inches long, OD is 0.474 inches, ID is 0.315 inches.
5. Bench bleed the new MC before installing; yeah, some fluid will drip out, enough will stay in.
6. Thread in the line nuts before mounting the MC, so there's a little wiggle
room to thread them in several turns, by hand.
7. Have a helper hold/maneuver the MC into position so you can get the two mounting bolts installed.

Thanks, Just what I needed!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Master cylinder replacement.... Reply with quote

m3456y wrote:
Cusser wrote:

6. Thread in the line nuts before mounting the MC, so there's a little wiggle
room to thread them in several turns, by hand.

Thanks, Just what I needed!

11. Pump the pedal several times and readjust. That will recenter the shoes and give you the best adjustment and action for good stopping. If in doubt recenter the shoes a few times and readjust, I do!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Rayfield
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Master cylinder replacement.... Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips, doing this shortly on my project car!

I don't know for a fact that the MC is bad, but it's been sitting for 20 years, so doing it for safety's sake.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Master cylinder replacement.... Reply with quote

Rayfield wrote:
I don't know for a fact that the MC is bad, but it's been sitting for 20 years, so doing it for safety's sake.

I did similar, after my 1970 sat for 23 years. I bought new MC, flexible lines, new brake shoes, new wheel cylinders, new blue hoses for MC reservoir to MC, new brake hardware hits, just re-used the drums.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Master cylinder replacement.... Reply with quote

Very important: if the new master cylinder is without the rubber grommet where the hose from reservoir enters, insert the grommet BEFORE to put the master cylinder in place.

Is very difficult to insert the grommet in place when master cylinder is in position and the fuel tank is still there.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2020 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Brake Master cylinder replacement.... Reply with quote

wayne1230cars wrote:
m3456y wrote:

I have changed master cylinders with the fuel tank installed and with the fuel tank removed. To remove the tank is simple - 4 bolts. It’s better if the tank is empty or at least low on fuel.

I removed the tank for the last master cylinder replacement I did as I was converting from a single circuit to dual circuit m/c and replacing all the steel lines. Having the tank removed made things much easier in that case. Also I spotted a very marginal steering coupler. Having the tank removed makes that job easier. When just changing the m/c and no other work, I just remove left front wheel and use axle stands.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Four bolts and a hose or two, could it be any easier?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: