Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Blocked licence plate?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
Notice: I have located you, and at this moment I am watching you from about 200 meters from your front porch. BTW, your fly is open.

Ha, ha, ha!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

bigdog1962 wrote:
"It may be possible to look up a vanity plate, but Canada isn't like the US where personal documents are available. You will probably need to get ahold of the appropriate Alberta government branch of vehicle registration, and will probably require the RCMP to get involved as well. Different provinces have slightly different plans but plates often belong to the owner and get transferred between vehicles as long as they are the same class. Therefore the plate is a private identifier. The government isn't in the habit of posting personal information.

That is what I thought your country was like too and is why I find it so hard to understand the panic around plate numbers. It appears like we might be just a bit more civilized? Wink

Just to illustrate how civil we are here, the keys stay in our vehicles 24/7. That way we are never hunting for who used the car last to find the keys. We lost the keys to the house about 4 years ago and haven't really felt the need to get replacements yet. Our neighbors will blow the whistle if there is any untoward activity while we are on holidays.

When we first moved here a neighbor just north of us came over to inform us that the candy was on the kitchen table, take the kids over and help yourselves, we are going to the Halloween party in town and won't be there. When I asked him if they ever locked the house he told me "Not in the last 40 years."

Now I'm betting you guys really want to find me!! Wink
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
bigdog1962 wrote:
"It may be possible to look up a vanity plate, but Canada isn't like the US where personal documents are available. You will probably need to get ahold of the appropriate Alberta government branch of vehicle registration, and will probably require the RCMP to get involved as well. Different provinces have slightly different plans but plates often belong to the owner and get transferred between vehicles as long as they are the same class. Therefore the plate is a private identifier. The government isn't in the habit of posting personal information.

That is what I thought your country was like too and is why I find it so hard to understand the panic around plate numbers. It appears like we might be just a bit more civilized? Wink

Just to illustrate how civil we are here, the keys stay in our vehicles 24/7. That way we are never hunting for who used the car last to find the keys. We lost the keys to the house about 4 years ago and haven't really felt the need to get replacements yet. Our neighbors will blow the whistle if there is any untoward activity while we are on holidays.

When we first moved here a neighbor just north of us came over to inform us that the candy was on the kitchen table, take the kids over and help yourselves, we are going to the Halloween party in town and won't be there. When I asked him if they ever locked the house he told me "Not in the last 40 years."

Now I'm betting you guys really want to find me!! Wink

Do you live in the igloo next to the maple syrup factory? I'm in the igloo next to the toque warehouse.
We should get together for a Molson's!

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:
Do you live in the igloo next to the maple syrup factory? I'm in the igloo next to the toque warehouse.
We should get together for a Molson's!

You are getting very close! We do make our own maple syrup although it is not a very common practice here.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A jug of sap is what is in the back of the Lupo. Note the modern stove in the igloo... Wink

Can't offer you Molson's (dry igloo) but stop by for tea/coffee and fresh scones smothered in butter and maple syrup anytime!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

Oh and in Alberta the licence plate does stay with the owner not the car so that should make it even easier to find me. Not? A couple of my plates have been with me for over 25 years.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

bigdog1962 wrote:
I took the challenge Very Happy - from the all knowing, always correct internet

The twin detectives could find him. And be home by dinnertime.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Here is my challenge to all you licence plate hiders. You have two of my plate numbers, post a Google street view picture of my house.

Go on - put your money where your mouth is and make me a believer! You don't have my name, just the country and province I live in. Make it happen.

Three days and so far and no:

Name

Address

Photo

Phone number

Town

Nobody skulking around the property (no bloody bits of clothing or body parts) - looks like I'm going to have to buy more dog food after all! Sad
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
oprn wrote:
Here is my challenge to all you licence plate hiders. You have two of my plate numbers, post a Google street view picture of my house.

Go on - put your money where your mouth is and make me a believer! You don't have my name, just the country and province I live in. Make it happen.

Name

Address

Photo

Phone number

Town

Nobody skulking around the property (no bloody bits of clothing or body parts) - looks like I'm going to have to buy more dog food after all! Sad

Could it just be that nobody gives a damn? Laughing
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
oprn wrote:
oprn wrote:

Name

Address

Photo

Phone number

Town

Ding ding! You definitely don’t strike me as being fun at parties. And living in a town of less than 1000 people, there probably isn’t much to do there anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:
iowegian wrote:
oprn wrote:
oprn wrote:

Name

Address

Photo

Phone number

Town

Ding ding! You definitely don’t strike me as being fun at parties. And living in a town of less than 1000 people, there probably isn’t much to do there anyway.

There seemed to be no shortage of guys giving enough of a damn to tell me how wrong I was but when is comes time to come up with the proof only one guy did and he found out it's not at all as easy as advertised.

My thanks to him for his efforts. So much of what we believe these days is based on fear and rumor, not fact.
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
VWsArent4Hippies wrote:
iowegian wrote:
oprn wrote:
oprn wrote:

Name

Address

Photo

Phone number

Town

There seemed to be no shortage of guys giving enough of a damn to tell me how wrong I was but when is comes time to come up with the proof only one guy did and he found out it's not at all as easy as advertised.

My thanks to him for his efforts. So much of what we believe these days is based on fear and rumor, not fact.

So how much info did this person find out? If your plate is run on CPIC, it would show the name of the registered owner, mailing address, date of birth, phone number, sex, height, weight, eye colour, hair colour. This information should only be available to law enforcement agencies and provincial registries. All CPIC queries would be traceable as to who queried them. With a little Googling, I would guess that you live near Cor########?

Last edited by Big Bull Shooter on Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:

There seemed to be no shortage of guys giving enough of a damn to tell me how wrong I was...

lol, I didn't see anyone say that Rolling Eyes
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

Anyone in this thread who admits to obfuscating his tag in pictures posted online and is also Facebook is a fool. You're giving away large quantities of personal data, not to mention exposing yourself to an untold number of security flaws to a less than ethical entity.
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

Big Bull Shooter wrote:
If your plate is run on CPIC, it would show the name of the registered owner, mailing address, date of birth, phone number, sex, height, weight, eye colour, hair colour. This information should only be available to law enforcement agencies and provincial registries. All CPIC queries would be traceable as to who queried them.

Will this still apply after Alberta secedes? Laughing

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

photogdave wrote:
Big Bull Shooter wrote:
If your plate is run on CPIC, it would show the name of the registered owner, mailing address, date of birth, phone number, sex, height, weight, eye colour, hair colour. This information should only be available to law enforcement agencies and provincial registries. All CPIC queries would be traceable as to who queried them.

Will this still apply after Alberta secedes? Laughing

LOL. I don’t know, I’ll move to the island if Alberta separates!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

Big Bull Shooter wrote:
So how much info did this person find out
?

This below. In Alberta you cannot access this info through a plate number honestly.

Big Bull Shooter wrote:

Big Bull Shooter wrote:
With a little Googling, I would guess that you live near Coronation?

Now - level with us and tell us how you got that. I am pretty sure it was not from my plate number. Is it in one of my posts here? I tried Googling OPRN and nothing useful comes up.
VWsArent4Hippies
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Big Bull Shooter wrote:
?

This below. In Alberta you cannot access this info through a plate number honestly.

Big Bull Shooter wrote:

Big Bull Shooter wrote:

Now - level with us and tell us how you got that. I am pretty sure it was not from my plate number. Is it in one of my posts here? I tried Googling OPRN and nothing useful comes up.

You use the same username on Pelican Parts, and have your town listed in your profile Rolling Eyes
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Big Bull Shooter wrote:
?

Big Bull Shooter wrote:

Big Bull Shooter wrote:

I found your town by googling your username, and you had provided it in your profile from another forum, as stated by the above poster. I guess I got sidetracked. To my knowledge, there is no legal way for Joe Public to access registered owner information from your license plate in Alberta, and most likely all provinces and territories.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

I was just doing a bit of reminiscing, back in the '50s, 60s and up to the mid '70s you could tell what town a car came from by the first 3 letters on the licence plate. There were groups of letters that appeared commonly in the town you lived and after a while it was possible to pick out a car from your home town in another town by the plate prefix. It was also possible to spot a new comer to your town by an unfamiliar prefix. Us kids used to make a game of it.

That was back when we were given a new plate with a new number and new color scheme at registration time every year. They stopped that practice... I want to say... about '77. Sticks in my mine because I bought my Rabbit new in '76 and the blue and yellow plates clashed with the red car. I was so happy that the new permanent plate color was red and white.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

Easy fix, register the car and keep your cars at a different address,

TaDah!!!!!!!

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: