Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel pump flange has broken off in engine
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orangitang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Fuel pump flange has broken off in engine Reply with quote

71 Super
The Fuel pump flange has broken off in engine.
Any suggestions on how to get that broken bit out of there? I would like to upload a photo but not sure how to do that. I’m sure you can picture the situation. I get the impression it’s fairly common.
Thank y’all.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump flange has broken off in engine Reply with quote

Found this video on YouTube. Very good tutorial. Lots of good info on this channel for us ACVW lovers.

Link

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Orangitang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump flange has broken off in engine Reply with quote

Thank you ashman40.
That is precisely what I imagined the solution would be. I think I just needed a bit of a confidence builder. Thank you so much for that! It was also nice to be reminded that the piece is soft and not necessarily detrimental to the engine.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump flange has broken off in engine Reply with quote

This has happened to many of us....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Orangitang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump flange has broken off in engine Reply with quote

So how bad is it if a piece of the fuel pump flange about a half inch long has dropped into the motor?
Can still see it but I can’t manage to get it out.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump flange has broken off in engine Reply with quote

As long as it doesn't go into the cam gears it will be ok. If it does.......
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump flange has broken off in engine Reply with quote

Orangitang wrote:
So how bad is it if a piece of the fuel pump flange about a half inch long has dropped into the motor?
Can still see it but I can’t manage to get it out.

This will generally not cause any issues; if it gets caught in something will generally grind up and get caught on the oil screen.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump flange has broken off in engine Reply with quote

Put some wheel bearing grease on the end of a piece of wire or something and touch it to the broken piece and it should stick so you can pull it out.
Orangitang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump flange has broken off in engine Reply with quote

Thank y'all.

It is currently out of site. I have turned the motor over by hand and I feel no unusual binding. Just compression.
I may go through the oil pump to see if I can locate it. But first i have to figure out how the tin under the pulley is removed. SMH.

I am trying to take some comfort in the idea that the bake-light piece will just crumble against the steel gears and settle in the oil sump.

Trying.

Still worried.....
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump flange has broken off in engine Reply with quote

Orangitang wrote:
Thank y'all.

It is currently out of site. I have turned the motor over by hand and I feel no unusual binding. Just compression.
I may go through the oil pump to see if I can locate it. But first i have to figure out how the tin under the pulley is removed. SMH.

I am trying to take some comfort in the idea that the bake-light piece will just crumble against the steel gears and settle in the oil sump.

Trying.

Still worried.....

Make sure you put the flange back together when you think you have it all out. You may think it is only in two pieces.....but for your own sanity, put the pieces end to end and check. Even look for the little flecks.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump flange has broken off in engine Reply with quote

This happened to me a few times. I pushed it into the engine and let the engine grind it. Then I changed the oil.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump flange has broken off in engine Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
This happened to me a few times. I pushed it into the engine and let the engine grind it. Then I changed the oil.

You're lucky, mine busted the cam the one time it happened to me

brad
Orangitang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump flange has broken off in engine Reply with quote

Every time i read that i have nothing to worry about someone tells me that it destroyed their Cam.
Honestly, It is hard for me to imagine how a piece of plastic could cause any damage to steel gears.
Other than logging some porthole somewhere.

I have been turning the engine over by hand and I don't feel any unusual binding. I'm trying to get up the nerve to cramk it a few times without spark just to assist in grinding it up before full on running the engine.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump flange has broken off in engine Reply with quote

If it fell into the engine just remove the sump plate (after oil drain) and feel around with your finger along the bottom and you will probably find it. I wouldn't grind it as the cam and distributor drive gears are the only things in there that can grind it.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump flange has broken off in engine Reply with quote

It's not the gears that are the problem. It's the relatively fragile camshaft that was never meant to take a load like something going between the teeth of the gears, it doesnt flex at all. By all means leave it in there. I'm just relating my misfortune. I was lucky in that it happened while I was idling into the driveway so nothing else got hurt, the engine just quit

brad
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump flange has broken off in engine Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
It's not the gears that are the problem. It's the relatively fragile camshaft that was never meant to take a load like something going between the teeth of the gears, it doesnt flex at all. By all means leave it in there. I'm just relating my misfortune. I was lucky in that it happened while I was idling into the driveway so nothing else got hurt, the engine just quit

brad

That makes sense to me. Yes, the plastic is not strong, but it doesn't just liquefy when crushed, like some other plastics might. I see how that could exert a force. And cam blanks are brittle.
Orangitang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump flange has broken off in engine Reply with quote

Thank y'all. ARRRRRRRRR
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump flange has broken off in engine Reply with quote

Is there a solvent which could dissolve it so you could suck it out the pump opening? Don't know much about plastic ....

Here's an idea: take out the pump, take out the spark plugs, and then spin the engine by hand to grind it slowly, with someone with a vacuum on the other side, maybe grind back and forth, so the chips never get squeezed between gears.
bnam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel pump flange has broken off in engine Reply with quote

Could you just drill it out bigger and bigger until what remains is a thin shell that will easily break up? Th
1966 Fiat 1500 Cabrio (with 1600 Twin cam)
1952 Citroen TA 11BL
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: