Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sunday Extraction - 1960 SWR Single Cab
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mwallace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject: Sunday Extraction - 1960 SWR Single Cab Reply with quote

This past Sunday a couple friends and I pulled a 1960 SWR Single Cab out of the bush, where it's been sitting for the last 50 years. It had originally been owned by VW Canada and used as a parts delivery truck, shuffling parts to the dealerships. My friends grandparents purchased the truck and were given the blue box, which looks to be an old ammunition box. They were told the boxes were used to house the parts in in the back of the red truck. From what we were told then they then used the truck for a couple of years until the motor blew up, after that they hauled it back to the corner of their property and left it.

It's too bad the truck wasn't saved years ago, but it's now sitting at my friends shop waiting for us to go through it and see what's inside.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Sunday Extraction - 1960 SWR Single Cab Reply with quote

Save Them All!
One of the best experiences and funnest parts of owning VW’s is extracting these forgotten guys from the earth.
Good luck on the journey getting the truck back on the road.
Sam

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Sunday Extraction - 1960 SWR Single Cab Reply with quote

That truck looks angry! And it must've been a coooollld extraction to boot. I really like that VW emblem design on the blue box, though. Very cool.

How far gone is the framework underneath?

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
mwallace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Sunday Extraction - 1960 SWR Single Cab Reply with quote

I thought she looks pretty happy! It wasn’t too bad, weather wise. It’s colder now and we’ve since had close to 7” of snow fall. So it’s one less winter in the bush. The frame is rotten.
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunday Extraction - 1960 SWR Single Cab Reply with quote

Great find- too bad it wasn't saved sooner but if you read some of the thread's on what is being brought back to life in the UK- the rust on yours may not be terminal
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunday Extraction - 1960 SWR Single Cab Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
Great find- too bad it wasn't saved sooner but if you read some of the thread's on what is being brought back to life in the UK- the rust on yours may not be terminal

...and you might find solidarity and guidance. Fear not, and keep us posted.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunday Extraction - 1960 SWR Single Cab Reply with quote

Boys, she's fallen on some hard times!

Good luck with that, a SWR bullet SC is a respectable find, and some crazy bastard will certainly resurrect it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Sunday Extraction - 1960 SWR Single Cab Reply with quote

for inspiration https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=710324
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Sunday Extraction - 1960 SWR Single Cab Reply with quote

The Brits are bringing back the dead over there!
There are enough resources to bring basically any bus back. It’s a dangerous convenience.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mwallace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunday Extraction - 1960 SWR Single Cab Reply with quote

Thanks everyone! She’s been tucked away for the winter, but come spring, we’ll start on the frame and floor work. She’ll definitely run again, but there’s no rush. I’ve still got to get my 68 bay running. I’ll keep everyone posted as things progress though. The day after we pulled her out of the bush we got 6”+ of snow, so I’m glad we did what we did. Next week they’re calling for a couple warning days, so I’ll get inside and pull out the extra bits and pieces. There’s a beetle rear seat, and looks like a couple of these goodies as well. While driving back we stopped to pull over and re tighten the straps and the church key was on the deck of the trailer, it must have been inside and fallen through the hole in the floor. Who knows what else could be in there.
hopkin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunday Extraction - 1960 SWR Single Cab Reply with quote

mwallace wrote:
Thanks everyone! She’s been tucked away for the winter, but come spring, ....

Nice find, I'm in Ottawa as well, I'd love to have a look your find next spring. Drop me a PM.
1972 914 (past)
1991 Honda Civic (Original Owner)
1996 'Open Air' Mexican Beetle (current)
2015 Golf (current)
2017 Dune Edition (daughter's car)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: