Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heater cable tube's blocked
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ozzmosis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:04 pm    Post subject: Heater cable tube's blocked Reply with quote

Need some wisdom I have been trying to put in my heater cables the right side is clear the driver side cable stops 2 ft before it can exit I have tried BP BLASTER then pushing hanger, went in the back got the thin wire to pop up in the front cab but when trying the cable though the cab it stops again same place. I heard you can uses a speedometer cable and drill but is it just the cable only.does anyone ever had this problem

Ozzmosis
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater cable tube's blocked Reply with quote

Are the swedged on ends of the cable longer than stock? Could be the curve of the tube is too tight, for a longer end.

Can you push the cable going up the rear end past that point?
Shoyrtt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater cable tube's blocked Reply with quote

ozzmosis wrote:
Need some wisdom I have been trying to put in my heater cables the right side is clear the driver side cable stops 2 ft before it can exit I have tried BP BLASTER then pushing hanger, went in the back got the thin wire to pop up in the front cab but when trying the cable though the cab it stops again same place. I heard you can uses a speedometer cable and drill but is it just the cable only.does anyone ever had this problem

Ozzmosis

b-man just posted a nice write up on his Velvet Green Single Cab thread (see page 2 on 10-25-19). Soak the tube with gas for a week and use compressed air and an old cable/drill to clean it out.
Here is a link: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=20
Old Paint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater cable tube's blocked Reply with quote

I just put a new accelerator cable in my Single Cab that had been sitting for 20 years. I had to grind out that section of the tube. Bottom line, the swedge was too long to fit where there was a slight bend. Try grinding the swedge. Worse case you have to buy a new cable. OR grind out the tube and realize the swedge was too long after the fact.

1961 Ragtop
1961 Single Cab (Old Paint)
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater cable tube's blocked Reply with quote

That is why we asked about the swedge length. Had an Parking brake cable with same problem and found that by bending the swedge end a tad it slide right thru.
Dustin B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater cable tube's blocked Reply with quote

Mine was clogged as well. I am an electrician and I has a metal fish tape handy. I started by cutting the end off and putting it in as far as it would go from the clogged side then cutting it off 4" to 6" longer then installing the cut off piece into a cordless drill and slowly working it in and out until the drill bottomed out against the bus then repeating the process until the clog was removed from the tube. It took me and hour or two from start to finish.

This is the style of fishtape I used. You can get them at Lowe's, Home Depot or any electrical supply house in various lengths. I'm suggest a hundred footer to insure you have enough to make as many cuts you need.

https://www.amazon.com/240-Foot-Measuring-Klein-To...6273828218

62 og paint L469 type 1
61 og paint L31 DD panel type 2
64 heilite viscount tent trailer
71 sears clamshell trailer

I <3 Brazilian busses

Original paint and patina extravaganza http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=187156
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater cable tube's blocked Reply with quote

Copying this from another post I made...

This is my Double Cab.
One of my tubes was plugged with rock hard dirt and grease, I cleared it out with an old clutch cable in my drill:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It was plugged about 1 foot from the back end
I went at it from both ends but going from the rear didn't seem to do anything, although I did spray some rust breaker in there from the rear.
Going from the front did it after a LONG time of going at it

If you do this run the drill in reverse so the cable does not unwind.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Heater cable tube's blocked Reply with quote

Quote:
If you do this run the drill in reverse so the cable does not unwind.

THAT is VERY important!!!! Don't ask me how I know.... Shocked
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ozzmosis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater cable tube's blocked Reply with quote

After some of these awesome wisdom ideas on what might be the issues I tried a few of the suggestion. I notice just where it was being stopped there was a welding spot broken of the frame causing the tube to have a little bend that is what stopped the cable tip from passing. straighten out the tube. I was Doing the happy dance. I made sure the knob was all the way turned and tightened but it's short on both sides should the cable come from a different model OEM # 211.711.629B
1964 TYPE 2 full bench seat
Ozzmosis
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater cable tube's blocked Reply with quote

The part # you listed looks like the right one on the WW site:
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=211711629B

Are you sure it didn't get twisted up installing it?
I've done that before.
When I pulled the knob back out it was twisted right at the inlet.

Another idea:
Do you have stock heater boxes?
It's possible the heater box connections are further away if they are later heater boxes with different attachment levers
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:24 am    Post subject: Re: Heater cable tube's blocked Reply with quote

ozzmosis wrote:
I made sure the knob was all the way turned and tightened but it's short on both sides should the cable come from a different model OEM # 211.711.629B
1964 TYPE 2 full bench seat
Ozzmosis

Had to make extensions for mine. I did have them crossed also but still wasn't long enough.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=645

The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ozzmosis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater cable tube's blocked Reply with quote

Thanks you Mr. B
You were right I did have a twist (I corrected). inserted cable back made sure it stayed straight after tightening the knob both sides still short by 1/2 inch I’ll have to purchase some ( CABLE EXTENDER )

Thanks to all Dubs

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: