Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Piranha Mach V buggy
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buggy5872
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:22 am    Post subject: Piranha Mach V buggy Reply with quote

I bought this buggy a couple weeks ago and started restoring it. Originally I thought it was a Bandit buggy made by dune buggies inc of Colorado. Turns out it was when the company first started making them and was called Designers Manufacturing Inc. in 1967-68. It was called Piranha Mach V at the time. The name changed in 1969 to Dune Buggies Inc and they changed the name to Bandit and sold them through Montgomery Ward Catalog. So far I pulled the body off, stripped the pan, needs floor pan work, rebuilt a stock 1600 and went through the tranny. I had a buggy years go and thought it would be something fun we could put in our toy hauler camper to take with us.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Piranha Mach V buggy Reply with quote

Nice find! Love the wheels (with still old bias-ply tires) and the gold flake finish. Looks like it had weathered the harsh wether in PA very well.
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Piranha Mach V buggy Reply with quote

Good for you, 72... It's nice to see there are still some treasures to be found in the weeds. Sounds like you're the rightful finder.

Jim
Manx #2614
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Piranha Mach V buggy Reply with quote

That's very cool. If you send me more photos of that logo/seal, I can make you a replacement for when you're finished the restoration.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buggy5872
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Piranha Mach V buggy Reply with quote

Letterman7 wrote:
That's very cool. If you send me more photos of that logo/seal, I can make you a replacement for when you're finished the restoration.

That would be great....I'll try to get some more pics. I might just buff the gel coat out and run it for now. There were 2 about 4" ones on the hood and 2 about 8" ones on the side.
buggy5872
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Piranha Mach V buggy Reply with quote

Here is a pic of the engine.....just built a stock one for reliability since we will be taking it with us camping. I thought about putting the 1915 out of my bug in it but it can be fussy at times....

I have half the floor pan done and have started on the other side. For some reason they had made a battery box under the driver seat so I had to cut out and replace all of that mess.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Piranha Mach V buggy Reply with quote

buggy5872 wrote:
I had a buggy years go and thought it would be something fun we could put in our toy hauler camper to take with us.

Did you know they can be driven? Kind of fun to drive too! Wink

Joking aside, nice find! I hope you can save the finish, it looks awesome!
buggy5872
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Piranha Mach V buggy Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
buggy5872 wrote:
I had a buggy years go and thought it would be something fun we could put in our toy hauler camper to take with us.

Did you know they can be driven? Kind of fun to drive too! Wink

Joking aside, nice find! I hope you can save the finish, it looks awesome!

I thought we would just park it beside the tow pig so we could get more attention....lol Driving it might be fun though...

buggy5872
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Piranha Mach V buggy Reply with quote

I was able to get the pans completed and fix a couple spots in the tunnel. A little more work on the top to repair where they cut out around the access to the shift rod coupling and I should be ready to start re assembling. The tunnel had about an inch of dirt/leaves in it. I cleaned it out and will be making it sealed like it is supposed to be after I spray some under coating in it.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Piranha Mach V buggy Reply with quote

The Buggy is going to have to be pretty special to attract any attention parked beside your tow rig. That truck is awesome!
buggy5872
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Piranha Mach V buggy Reply with quote

Thanks...I got a couple hours in that one...
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Piranha Mach V buggy Reply with quote

buggy5872 wrote:
I bought this buggy a couple weeks ago and started restoring it. Originally I thought it was a Bandit buggy made by dune buggies inc of Colorado. Turns out it was when the company first started making them and was called Designers Manufacturing Inc. in 1967-68. It was called Piranha Mach V at the time. The name changed in 1969 to Dune Buggies Inc and they changed the name to Bandit and sold them through Montgomery Ward Catalog.

I'm very impressed with your research and knowledge. Did you find the history on line or find someone with personal knowledge of the Piranha Mach 5 and Bandit buggies?

I believe they eventually changed their name to Unique Mobility Inc.

Last edited by BL3Manx on Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
buggy5872
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Piranha Mach V buggy Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:
buggy5872 wrote:
I bought this buggy a couple weeks ago and started restoring it. Originally I thought it was a Bandit buggy made by dune buggies inc of Colorado. Turns out it was when the company first started making them and was called Designers Manufacturing Inc. in 1967-68. It was called Piranha Mach V at the time. The name changed in 1969 to Dune Buggies Inc and they changed the name to Bandit and sold them through Montgomery Ward Catalog.

I'm very impressed with your research and knowledge. Did you find the history on line or find someone with personal knowledge of the Piranha Mach 5 and Bandit buggies?

I believe they actually changed their name to Unique Mobility

I did all my research on line. Dune buggy archives helped me identify it as a bandit, so I thought. Once I went and picked it up I found the badge on it and led to more research. I found a thread on dune buggy archives about someone who talked to a former employee of dune buggies inc. Then found some article about UQM turning 50 years old....from 2017 that listed the various names they had been. Now they have been bought out by another company recently. I also found some cool advertising from when it was sold through Montgomery Ward. I tend to research the heck out of things when I purchase something....
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Piranha Mach V buggy Reply with quote

In case you didn't already have these

dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:09 am    Post subject: Re: Piranha Mach V buggy Reply with quote

I too really like your tow rig. Love those big Alcoas. Does it have modern chassis and powertrain?

The Fargo is kinda cool. It looks sorta funky, but appears to fit on a full length Bug Pan. I myself have a Glitterbug Sportsman, which, like the Fargo, is a pickup truck style body. I remember the Bandit's at Montgomery Wards. I always felt the nose was too tall looking. The wedge shape is fine, just awful tall. If it had proportions like the fiberglass nose for my Hi Jumper Ascot tube frame buggy, I would like the nose quite a bit.

Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buggy5872
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: Piranha Mach V buggy Reply with quote

BL3Manx..... Thanks for the info.... I did not have all of those. Whats the car that is in the one picture?

dustymojave.... if you got some time....here is the build thread for the truck

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=557184
buggy5872
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Piranha Mach V buggy Reply with quote

Here is what I found as far as literature. The last pic of the wards catalog does not look like a bandit though....

BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Piranha Mach V buggy Reply with quote

buggy5872 wrote:
BL3Manx..... Thanks for the info.... I did not have all of those. Whats the car that is in the one picture?

Its a Bandit, you can see the Bandit emblem on the nose

BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Piranha Mach V buggy Reply with quote

buggy5872 wrote:
Here is what I found as far as literature. The last pic of the wards catalog does not look like a bandit though....

That's a Safari, the first model. They were followed by the Safari Trail. Montgomery Wards probably sold then in the late 60s before the Bandit.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Piranha Mach V buggy Reply with quote

BL3Manx wrote:

I want to see more of the purple machine...

Damn you for showing photos of kits I didn't know existed Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: