Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fitting problems with seal under turn signal housing?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Fitting problems with seal under turn signal housing? Reply with quote

Trying to finish of the work on the front of my 1957.
Any one else experiencing problems fitting the seal between body and the turn signal indicator housings?
I tried to save the original Hella seals as they seem to be fine but I cant get them to fit as they seem a bit too small. Is there any neat trick to get them in place without scratching the paint??

Could the seal have undergone shrinkage over the years??
--------------------------
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting problems with seal under turn signal housing? Reply with quote

nize wrote:
Any one else experiencing problems fitting the seal between body and the turn signal indicator housings?
I tried to save the original Hella seals as they seem to be fine but I cant get them to fit as they seem a bit too small. Is there any neat trick to get them in place without scratching the paint??

That's odd, I had the reverse problem on my 56 they seemed to large. I think mine were from WCM. Where are yours from?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
nize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting problems with seal under turn signal housing? Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
nize wrote:

That's odd, I had the reverse problem on my 56 they seemed to large. I think mine were from WCM. Where are yours from?

It’s the Hella marked original VW-seal. They were both in good condition so I tried to use them but they are to small to fit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting problems with seal under turn signal housing? Reply with quote

nize wrote:
Braukuche wrote:
nize wrote:

It’s the Hella marked original VW-seal. They were both in good condition so I tried to use them but they are to small to fit.
f

Oh, missed that bit.
Yeah, they shrink. Have you tried soaking them in hot water to make them more pliable and then install?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting problems with seal under turn signal housing? Reply with quote

Just a thought: you are using the original seals from your '57, but are you using the original turn signal housings? The housings changed sometime in 1964, so if you have later turn signals that might be a problem? Confused
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting problems with seal under turn signal housing? Reply with quote

56-59
59-64
64-69

Three distinct lights, don't have chassis number breaks handy........ but I assume it is model year related?

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
aerosilver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting problems with seal under turn signal housing? Reply with quote

56-57 indicators are different from 58-63

56-57 same as oval/split bus,
58-63 as pictured

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
nize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting problems with seal under turn signal housing? Reply with quote

aerosilver wrote:
56-57 indicators are different from 58-63

56-57 same as oval/split bus,
58-63 as pictured

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I realise now that my 57 probably has a front fender repair some time in its life because I have got the 58-63 type turn signal with just a hole in the fender, just as the one in the pic above.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Fitting problems with seal under turn signal housing? Reply with quote

I've read that the earliest low light lights differed not much so much in design as in finish.
The earliest ones had painted bodies, the later lights (late 1950's) were chrome??

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
nize
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Fitting problems with seal under turn signal housing? Reply with quote

Got some reproduction seals in the mail today. It proved my suspicion that the original seals had shrunken over the years. The repro seals had a perfect fit!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: