Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official whine about Buses and parts for sale
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2512, 2513, 2514 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Emeraldlion wrote:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2328835

Another flipper whine. I was talking to the guy that sold this in Nebraska. I had touched base with him and bus was in storage. Told him I was interested in bus and apparently someone called him and bought it. 10k. I am disregarding the fact that the seller sold it out from under me, que sera. Really though he has done nothing to it and now it is a 24k bus? This sector of vws is getting ridiculous. Fortunstely there are still some honest deals out there. The flipping thing I guess is what I am whining about

I dont know man. You may have snoozed. Im not that all into split windows, but dang, walk through, rag top standard with an eberspacher? Some seriously cool M Codes. Looks like OG paint too. For 10k? Shocked Shit Id of probably jumped on it.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

I am not saying I did not miss out. I was in the middle of talking to the guy about how I was going to get it on a trailer after 2 days of talking to him and he texted back, "I sold it." Oh well. I just have a problem with someone doing absolutely nothing turning around and trying to get 24 for it. Call me an idealist.....I also believe some things just aren't meant to be. Going to pick up our new '60 kombi project this weekend, so I am glad I got passed up.
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Emeraldlion wrote:

Another flipper whine. I was talking to the guy that sold this in Nebraska. I had touched base with him and bus was in storage. Told him I was interested in bus and apparently someone called him and bought it. 10k. I am disregarding the fact that the seller sold it out from under me, que sera. Really though he has done nothing to it and now it is a 24k bus? This sector of vws is getting ridiculous. Fortunstely there are still some honest deals out there. The flipping thing I guess is what I am whining about

Now the bus goes longer before ever being fixed up, and costs a LOT more to whatever enthusiast that actually ends up fixing it to keep by the time they pay the flipper his “fee”. At least it didn’t have many parts left to strip.

That’s one good thing about the complete reproduction bus shells that are out now... don’t feel like giving a flipper $24k, and his $14k overnight profit on a rusty bus he paid $10k for ?

Get a 23w for $17k instead!

https://classicsteelbody.com/

I can’t help but wonder how much this is responsible for the softening of split bus prices that is underway.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Emeraldlion wrote:

I want to know how he knows this fact:
Quote:
43 known to be in the United states.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chris henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Emeraldlion wrote:

I saw this bus posted on FB market place. I called and talked to the seller for over 30 minutes ( super nice guy) and decided to pass on the bus because in the state that it was in it would have been a hassle to transport. I passed it on to greg. He jumped on it because he earns a living doing buses and saw a profit to be made. If you think driving half way across the country and transporting a vehicle with zero running gear is "nothing" then you must have never done it. It sounds like you slept on this one. If you had your foot in the door before it hit the open market you should have pushed harder. the guy I spoke to sounded like a motivated seller. Dont be afraid to flash cash and put down a deposit because until you do you have no claim to it. As far as the profit margin I know if I had driven for 3 days and spent close to a grand on fuel and dealt with loading a shell of a bus in freezing cold temps i would want to get everything I could out of the bus too. esp if it meant the difference between paying my shop rent or not
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

I suppose a $14k markup will definitely pay the shop rent. I imagine there’s fees and such with holding a car dealer license there in California, too.
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Emeraldlion wrote:

Quote:

Everett, I suppose there is another 65 sunroof with absolutely no suspension and eberspacher heater that matches the few pictures that were sent to me only a month ago by the seller from facebook. It is also possible that it has changed hands at least once during that time. It seems unlikely, but anything is possible.
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Emeraldlion wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Emeraldlion wrote:

Quote:

Everett, I suppose there is another 65 sunroof with absolutely no suspension and eberspacher heater that matches the few pictures that were sent to me only a month ago by the seller from facebook. It is also possible that it has changed hands at least once during that time. It seems unlikely, but anything is possible.

I cant fault the guy for seeing a chance to make a profit and going through the hassle and risk of investing and transporting etc... I have had busses sold out from under me and yes it sucks, but I wouldn't consider it sold out from under me if I had the chance to buy it and was sleeping at the wheel. For that bus I would have pulled money from the bank like it September 1929. That's more rare than a 23 or 21 or 15 window bus. Sold out from under you is when you tell a guy you are on your way on a four hour trip with a truck and trailer and cash in hand (pre internet / PayPal etc... so no deposit) and it was sold during the trip up.

We complain about people "flipping" cars on here but we have no problem hitting up Amazon or Walmart for flipping cheap foreign junk!

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Let me clarify. Although it was a touch irritating I am not whining about missing the buy. I am posting this up here because I think people are bending honest hobbyist over a barrel. I have my personal issues with amazon and walmart too. The guy that sold the bus initially priced it at what I felt was a good price, I was talking to him about logistics of getting the bus and missed out. The person that has it posted now is taking advantage and trying to make a massive profit on absolutely nothing other than a roadtrip. If he does, I guess more power to him. I do however take issue with the flipper mentality of making massive profits. Turn it for a little profit and allow someone to still maybe get a half decent deal? I think it all boils down to greed for me. Presumptuous? Probably. Irritating? Maybe not for some, for me, yes.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Emeraldlion wrote:
Let me clarify. Although it was a touch irritating I am not whining about missing the buy. I am posting this up here because I think people are bending honest hobbyist over a barrel. I have my personal issues with amazon and walmart too. The guy that sold the bus initially priced it at what I felt was a good price, I was talking to him about logistics of getting the bus and missed out. The person that has it posted now is taking advantage and trying to make a massive profit on absolutely nothing other than a roadtrip. If he does, I guess more power to him. I do however take issue with the flipper mentality of making massive profits. Turn it for a little profit and allow someone to still maybe get a half decent deal? I think it all boils down to greed for me. Presumptuous? Probably. Irritating? Maybe not for some, for me, yes.
We live in a market economy, greed is relative. There is a simple way to undercut all of these greedy flippers though, just offer sellers full market value. That way, the flipper can't make any money on it, and you don't have to feel bad about being greedy an taking advantage of an uneducated seller. In that way, you are trading the potential loss of a good deal for a good bus. Plus you can sleep easier at night knowing that you have 10K or whatever less in your bank account.

We drive cool cars that many people want. They used to be cheap, but that was a different time. Any cheap bus means someone is getting screwed whether they know it or not.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Emeraldlion wrote:

I personally don't really do the flipper thing, but I don't get wrapped around the axel when others do. I do buy out large hoards of stuff when I find it and I pay as little as possible for it, but if you see me at swap meets I will be selling stuff cheaper than anyone else. I do it for fun, I enjoy the hunt and love swap meets, my absolute favorite part of car shows, but I always make dick for money, I just like doing it and enjoy the banter of people trying to score a deal. But don't get me wrong I always take some rare stuff and that's where I try to make profit, I need to eat too. I have had people buy my stuff and I see it at their spot for much more than I sold it to them for, I am OK with it because I like to watch them pack it up and take it home at the end of the day. It always sucks to loose out on a deal you have been working on, I always leave a deposit on stuff once a price has been agreed upon. I was actually thinking when I saw the ad for this bus that if I was closer I would offer 20K for this bus if it had the M code plate and proper paperwork. I really want a non deluxe sunroof bus to the point I am going to fake it with my 11 window.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Maybe I have to concede to Lind. Maybe it is just a segment of vws that is no longer in a semi affordable realm. I have to admit that maybe I have unrealistic expectations of people anymore.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Emeraldlion wrote:
EverettB wrote:
Emeraldlion wrote:

Quote:

Maybe what I posted was confusing, I'm curious to know how the current seller know there are only 43 Sunroof Standards in the USA.

Now that I think about it, I remember a guy did a registry of Sunroof Standards so that's probably where he got that number.

This thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=341605
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gregalisa420
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

I just didn’t flip it!!!
I had to drive 3000 round trip ,30 degrees weather pay 2 guys to help me drive
to get it,
I got 4 flats on the trailer in the middle of night, took all night to fix ,which sucks ,nothing open
Had to sleep in Walmart parking lot ,wait to they open 7am fucking cold
Also had to make the bus roll !!!took about 5 hrs to do that ,it’s a lot of work it’s not peas n carrots!!!
in the cold with the wind blowing about 20 degrees it felt like,.
I JUST DIDNT FLIP THE BUS !!I have to weld the cargo floor in it and battery in tray ,hook up all the electric,and make it a roller ,I have to put suspention on it
Front beam installed and big nut transmission make it run-able Amd it DID NOT COME WITH ANY RUNNING GEAR!!also put a steering column also install tie rods draglink,and steering and so on!!if you owned buses you know what it takes to make it a driver it’s a lot of work ,it’s not just flipping it!!!amd I didn’t sell it for $24k I was asking that!!i just sold a bus I lost money on it
It was a double cab that I fully restored,had about $58k in it
And only got $38k
so
You win some you loose some

Last edited by gregalisa420 on Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:54 am; edited 1 time in total
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

gregalisa420 wrote:
I just didn’t flip it!!!

whoa! flippin my chill.. It's gone!
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

gregalisa420 wrote:
I just didn’t flip it!!!
I had to drive 3000 round trip ,30 degrees weather pay 2 guys to help me drive
to get it,
I got 4 flats on the trailer in the middle of night, took all night to fix ,which sucks ,nothing open
Had to sleep in Walmart parking lot ,wait to they open 7am fucking cold
Also had to make the bus roll !!!took about 5 hrs to do that ,it’s a lot of work it’s not peas n carrots!!!
in the cold with the wind blowing about 20 degrees it felt like,.
I JUST DIDNT FLIP THE BUS !!I have to weld the cargo floor in it and battery in tray ,hook up all the electric,and make it a roller ,I have to put suspention on it
Front beam installed and big nut transmission make it run-able Amd it DID NOT COME WITH ANY RUNNING GEAR!!also put a steering column also install tie rods draglink,and steering and so on!!if you owned buses you know what it takes to make it a driver it’s a lot of work ,it’s not just flipping it!!!amd I didn’t sell it for $24k I was asking that!!i just sold a bus I lost money on it
It was a double cab that I fully restored,had about $58k in it
And only got $38k
so
You win some you loose some

that sucks on the double cab. I guess you used an auction site?

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

Then I stand corrected and apologize for undeserved whine. The pictures I saw in the ad appeared to still have no running gear and in same state it had been billed to me. I am sorry to hear about the troubles on the trip to pick it up. I am about to make a similar trip to get mine and honestly always have written those as sunk cost. I have mentioned this before about the prices we post on samba that we unfortunately do not get to see a realistic idea of what people are getting for buses.
chris henry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

funny how all the Texas guys like to point fingers at the Californians and call us liberals and socialists, say we want everything for free and everyone out here is looking for a handout but when when give them a dose of good ol fashioned capitalistic greed we are the bad guys. Laughing Laughing Laughing Boo hoo! Boo hoo! Shame on you Shame on you Shhh Anxious Applause
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

I have often said that flippers can be good, bad, or otherwise, it is all a matter of style. There is a bunch of work that goes into buying and selling cars that people may not realize. I take non-VW friends on field trips to recover buses sometimes and they always get get a kick out of it. With no suspension, I can usually have the bus rolling onto the trailer in an hour unassisted. Sometimes it takes a lot longer.

The high value of buses just plain sucks on a lot of fronts. There are good aspects to it also. I would rather have tons of cheap buses all over the place like 25 years ago, but those days are gone. It is nice to have the massive availability of buses, parts and information at our fingertips. When I am driving a bus, I can forget about it all, until I get to a gas station and get educated by some random person who notices my bus.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Official whine about Buses and parts for sale Reply with quote

chris henry wrote:
funny how all the Texas guys like to point fingers at the Californians and call us liberals and socialists, say we want everything for free and everyone out here is looking for a handout but when when give them a dose of good ol fashioned capitalistic greed we are the bad guys. Laughing Laughing Laughing Boo hoo! Boo hoo! Shame on you Shame on you Shhh Anxious Applause

"all the Texas guys" fuck me, there are like what, a handful of us that post here Rolling Eyes

that's kind of a dumb comment but whatever, I get it from both sides since I left Sacramento 10 years ago.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2512, 2513, 2514 ... 2708, 2709, 2710  Next
Jump to:
Page 2513 of 2710

Jump to: