Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tinkering with 57DD… Logo Paint Stripping (66 sold)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Tinkering with 57DD… Logo Paint Stripping (66 sold) Reply with quote

My first bus arrived October 9, 2019. I was hooked at first site.
After 10+ bugs, it was dad’s time to get a bus. But they were all out of my price range, so I had to wait. After looking daily for months, a decent bus had a “Price Drop” just above my budget so I went for it.
2 weeks of coordinating out of state payment and towing.

Quick recap of what I learned the first few weeks:
Motor turns but does not fire-up.
Front floor and ‘normal rust areas’ have rust.
Electrical is a mess.
All glass is installed and in pretty good shape.
Body is ‘ok’.
Only has front seat frames.

I’ll be updating the thread frequently with my tinkering.
Advice, suggestions, and thoughts always welcome!

Isn’t she marvelous.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by volkswagen60 on Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

She is marvellous and she is yours- congrats.

Not sure what your end state is- presentable driver, show quality etc. Do you know how long it was supposedly running /driving? My quick action plan would be

1. get it licensed in your name
2. Since body doesn't look too bad (on first blush)- I would work on getting it stopping- wheel cylinders, brake, shoes , hard/soft lines, drums etc. Might need new tires too?
3. Once stopping has been taken care of work on getting it running, deal with electrical and the engine. Might want to pull the engine and give it a once over just for your own peace of mind and probably not the last time engine is coming out. Might as well get familiar with pulling the engine. While you are in there might want to clean out the gas tank *and* make sure the fuel sender works as it is a PITA to get at once engine is back in. Would also check king pins for wear etc definitely lube front end kind pins, link pins etc as well as steering box.
4. Time and money permitting make the body metal prettier, it is fine as it is and you can do a kinda driving resto on it.

I am sure smarter people have more to ad- read the forums and check the stickies- lots info in here!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

Thanks for the checklist. Presentable safe driver for me. I think you’re right with taking my time and doing things right from the start.

The timing was off, cables were crossed, and carb needed adjusting.

Link

A few days later...

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

It sounds pretty decent and I don't see massive blow by or a big blue cloud emanating from it. How are the floorboards and all the jacking points?
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

AS350driver wrote:
It sounds pretty decent and I don't see massive blow by or a big blue cloud emanating from it. How are the floorboards and all the jacking points?

Front floor will need replacing at some point. Previous owner made make-shift patches using license plates and brackets. The driver jack point is toast, the passenger side is a little less toasty.

AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

Having all four jacking points solid and usable is a desirable thing. Using the factory jack and jacking points has several advantages. The factory jack is much lighter, and takes up less room than lugging around a big floor jack. You can also safely jack up any wheel on the bus without having to put any part of your body under the bus, which with using aftermarket floor jacks or scissor jacks might not be the case. You’ll also probably have to lay in the dirt, or at a minimum get on all fours to get an aftermarket jack up under the bus and see to place it properly. I go off road in my buses, and have never gotten stuck, but if I did, I can imagine a few scenarios where it would be near impossible to get a floor jack/bottle jack/scissor jack under the bus to jack it up out of sand, or whatever you’ve sunk down into. The factory jacking system can still work when the bus jacking points are down pretty low to the ground.

A floor jack can lift up an entire end of the bus, true, or can be used to lower the engine if you have to pull it. You could also just use a plastic milk crate and boards to hold the motor up though. The milk crate can double as tool storage etc. I‘d prefer to use the space a big floor jack takes up to bring jack stands or some other useful item.
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

Time to wrap my front seat frames. Hogringed the burlap, glued the foam, and now looking to order gray upholstery soon....

volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

Apparently the 66 bus uses the same engine lid lock as the 65-66 bug, and no other bus? I just received this one from ajcustoms.com
Here is a link to his parts listed on TS:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=bugasm

The accelerator pedal/cable linkage was zip-tied together so I first installed the WW kit but I did not like the pedal feel. So I installed the Butty's Bits linkage and it feels like butter.
Butty's Bits purchased from Retro Bus Parts
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php?username=ib-bus

WW Kit

Butty's Bits Kit

crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

Those new gas pedal linkage kits have got to be the best thing to do to a bus. I love mine.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ozark23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

crofty wrote:
Those new gas pedal linkage kits have got to be the best thing to do to a bus. I love mine.

What exactly does this kit do? Thx
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

ozark23 wrote:
crofty wrote:

What exactly does this kit do? Thx

It replaces the original linkage with a machined arm and a spring that is a far superior design than the original design that was sloppy.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

Got motor running, jumped in to go for my first drive aaaaaand the clutch isn’t working. Cable pulls on lever but nothing happening inside clutch. If I start the bus in 1st gear, it wants to jump forward.
Clutch kit arrived, cross shaft arrives Saturday.
Motor getting pulled out on Sunday to check this out.

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

volkswagen60 wrote:
Got motor running, jumped in to go for my first drive aaaaaand the clutch isn’t working. Cable pulls on lever but nothing happening inside clutch. If I start the bus in 1st gear, it wants to jump forward.
Clutch kit arrived, cross shaft arrives Saturday.
Motor getting pulled out on Sunday to check this out.

looks like you are putting in a rigid disk. many people end up not liking them because the sprung ones have a smoother engagement

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

volkswagen60 wrote:

How much play at the clutch pedal?

If that is good, would check the metal clutch tube to make sure it did not break a weld.

Spring type clutch disc is a bit easier on the engine.
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
volkswagen60 wrote:

How much play at the clutch pedal?

If that is good, would check the metal clutch tube to make sure it did not break a weld.

Spring type clutch disc is a bit easier on the engine.

Thanks for the suggestion.
No clutch ‘play’ I guess. The pedal pressure is constant from top to bottom, no change while it travels.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

volkswagen60 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion.
No clutch ‘play’ I guess. The pedal pressure is constant from top to bottom, no change while it travels.

No problem. Then check the clutch tube. Have someone push on the pedal now and then, while you crawl under and look for movement.
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

While waiting to pull motor and check clutch, I wanted to install the rear seats I bought a few weeks ago. The bus has wood blocks that convert the original mounts on floor to bay window mounts. It turns out that my back-rest is from a bay window, but my lower seat is from a mid 60's(?) bus so I need to remove the blocks. But I thought these block conversions were cool.

volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

This weekend’s motor pull and clutch investigation.
Here’s the breakdown of Saturday:
- Pulled motor and found that a previous owner installed wrong clutch bearing so it was never going to work.
- Starter bushing was cracked and ate away at the housing so I need a new self supporting starter (SR17x)...coming soon.
- Starter had a make-shift D bolt installed.

Sunday I took down the ugly exhaust and flipped off hubcaps just to look and clean wheels. I found both rear axle nut cotter pins were missing and the nuts were loose!!

Could I have died?

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

volkswagen60 wrote:
I found both rear axle nut cotter pins were missing and the nuts were loose!!

Could I have died?

Damn... maybe but you probably would have stripped a drum and been stuck going nowhere before it came off.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

- Installed self supporting starter and got the correct clutch bearing installed.
Fires right up and clutch feels good.

Got impatient and took it for the first spin around the block to the nearby park.
- Definitely something banging around somewhere. Not sure if motor or something else.
- About a foot of play in steering wheel.
- Brakes did not stop me when pulling down driveway in reverse!!
- Brakes did ‘ok’ when driving forward.

Next steps: need this baby ready for spring time!
Pull motor have it gone through. Possible rebuild.
Replace gas tank. (Fuel filter filth)
All new brakes.
Steering

Link
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: