Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CAD/CAM drawings for Syncro diff lock console
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
WestyWonderland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: CAD/CAM drawings for Syncro diff lock console Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend a CAD/CAM design to 3D print or machine a diff lock console?

Likewise, might an owner be willing to post measurements for the steel mounting bracket ?

For instance, there's one at KombiClub, "VW T25 T3 Vanagon Syncro Diff Panel" (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2577886)

I've been trying to source a used part for several months without luck. Next I'll try papier macher!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clift_d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:31 am    Post subject: Re: CAD/CAM drawings for Syncro diff lock console Reply with quote

There's another thingiverse example here:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3239575
jkidd152
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: CAD/CAM drawings for Syncro diff lock console Reply with quote

Hey that link looks really promising! Can anyone offer some advise on what to do with those files? Where to take them, etc. I have zero experience 3D printing. I actually think my daughters junior high science lab may have a 3D printer but I don’t know if they will let me use it Laughing
clift_d
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: CAD/CAM drawings for Syncro diff lock console Reply with quote

Download the files then go to one of the online 3d printing shops, where you can simply upload the files and get an instant quote. If you like the quote then get the item printed. If you don't like the quote then go somewhere else and get another quote. Easy peasy.
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: CAD/CAM drawings for Syncro diff lock console Reply with quote

One of our local libraries has a 3d printer that you can use for free of very low cost.
Maybe your local library has one too
Might be a good place to start looking..

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyWonderland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: CAD/CAM drawings for Syncro diff lock console Reply with quote

I ordered a copy of thing:2577886 from Craftcloud.com and I'll order the other this week.

When they get here I'll let you know how they turned out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyWonderland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: CAD/CAM drawings for Syncro diff lock console Reply with quote

First impressions 3D Printed Syncro Diff Lock Cosole

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2577886

Fabricated in ABS plastic via Craftcloud by All3DP GmbH, produced by an outfit in Texas.

Price delivered: $28.22

REVIEW
The basic design is there. Dimensions and fit to the dash are decent (photos tomorrow when the sun's out).

The ABS print quality is borderline on this design. The sidewalls are thin and slightly angled. The printer had trouble fusing layers as it built up on the previous layer so there's a texture to it resembling pages in a book. It would have to be sanded if you want a smooth finish.

There is a manufacturing defect too. A couple of dozen "pages" are slightly shifted in the X-axis, rather like pages in a book with a bowed spine. Might be worth a redo but that depends on how the second design turns out.

The ABS is what you'd expect. It seems sturdy enough but would crack if you push it too hard.

The model is exactly as the designer described it: not finished. It's a plain Jane console, a good approximation but not a reproduction.

NOTE: You'll need to privde your own indicator light graphic. The other CAD/CAM design includes a file that looks pretty good.

Design: *** three stars.
Quality of the finished product: *** three stars.

Value for the Dollar: ***

Bottom Line: Used VW consoles are impossible to find at present. This will hold your diff locker knobs but will take some work to finish it.
jkidd152
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: CAD/CAM drawings for Syncro diff lock console Reply with quote

WestyWonderland,

Awesome report! I can't wait to see your pictures. I am headed to my local library tomorrow afternoon. They have an open lab with technical staff on hand so I am going to bring the .STL file and make an attempt. Not sure what material will be available but I think it will be free so it's hard to complain. $28 from Craftcould is pretty cheap too.

I will also report my results.

Thanks
jkidd152
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: CAD/CAM drawings for Syncro diff lock console Reply with quote

Well, the library didn't work out because the printer size was not big enough for the model.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Can't say enough good things about the public library, however. These printers are free to use, and they have friendly tech support (super smart kids) who really want to help. The guy helping me wanted to attempt to print it in halves, and I think I disappointed him when I said no thanks to that.

So now I am on the Craftcloud plan. WestyWonderland, got pictures yet?
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: CAD/CAM drawings for Syncro diff lock console Reply with quote

We are on a parallel path...I just had my friend printed one this week. He just sent me some pictures. He is making another one now in black.

designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: CAD/CAM drawings for Syncro diff lock console Reply with quote

that doesn't actually look too bad, the red one. my son has a 3d printer, but doubt his print area is big enough.

if the corners could be rounded instead of beveled that would be cool - it also lacks the round depressions where each knob goes or at least it looks like it does.

I have access to a bigger 3d printer so will maybe give this a shot. This could, if somebody has it, be made on Fusion360...

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
WestyWonderland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: CAD/CAM drawings for Syncro diff lock console Reply with quote

Here's the first model, taped to the dashboard so you can see the fit. It will need some filing to mount.

designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: CAD/CAM drawings for Syncro diff lock console Reply with quote

Not bad! I haven't printed the one off thingaverse, but i recently bought my son some acetone for some of his prints. He says if it sits in the fumes (maybe in a tupperware or something) it will smooth out the lines from the printing. I think that's how it was done Think ...

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: CAD/CAM drawings for Syncro diff lock console Reply with quote

An update on my side too. I spoke to my friend today and he thinks the type of plastic he was going to use may not be resistant enough in the heat. So he will try something else.

He also noticed the imperfection and apparently something not complete in the diagram, so I am going to send him my existing console next week. He is going to improve the CAD drawing, in the hope of getting a version even closer to the original one. I trust him on that, he is very nerdy and perfectionist. I am really hopeful.

The metal bracket should be fairly easy, I have a friend in Quebec who could probably do it.

Now on the other hand, I have no idea yet how to replicate the circuit and especially the plastic visible piece with the 4 wheels and the 3 green lights (not sure how to call it).

Any suggestion?
WestyWonderland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: CAD/CAM drawings for Syncro diff lock console Reply with quote

designer wrote:
Not bad! I haven't printed the one off thingaverse, but i recently bought my son some acetone for some of his prints. He says if it sits in the fumes (maybe in a tupperware or something) it will smooth out the lines from the printing. I think that's how it was done Think ...

I have some in the garage and will see how it goes
WestyWonderland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: CAD/CAM drawings for Syncro diff lock console Reply with quote

Vanagain IIRC sells the circuit board. I have that just arrived and will confirm supplier. The diagram is re rested on the second thingverse cam file. I had that one run off too and expect it any day now. Instead of ABS this one's nylon or derivative.
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: CAD/CAM drawings for Syncro diff lock console Reply with quote

Well I just found this:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=642457&view=previous

beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: CAD/CAM drawings for Syncro diff lock console Reply with quote

Check this out.

https://smallcar.com/vanagon/vanagon-direct-replacement-parts/differential-lock-light-panel.html
SyncroChrick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: CAD/CAM drawings for Syncro diff lock console Reply with quote

Well well well look at this:

https://smallcar.com/vanagon/vanagon-direct-replacement-parts/differential-lock-light-panel.html

newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: CAD/CAM drawings for Syncro diff lock console Reply with quote

I replaced the bulb that lights up the knobs with a red LED and it looks MUCH much better. It's bright enough to easily see the knobs but easy to look at, unlike white. I think Smallcar should consider a red led instead of the white.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: