Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Campsite Air Conditioning Setup
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
a2wolfsburggli
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Campsite Air Conditioning Setup Reply with quote

I'll be setting mine up on Friday for the first time. Stand up unit between the front seats, water line out the foot well liner hole and vented out the drivers side window with a tube to oval adapter and some foam.

I'll try and get some pics of it.

Past: '09 CC 3.6L 4motion "R36 wannabe" | '02 Audi TT "ALMS Edition" | '84 Jetta GLI with Autotech Supercharger | '89 Helios Jetta GLI 16v's (x2) | '95.5 URS6 | and the list goes on.

Never underestimate the entertainment value of OCD overruling Common Sense
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Campsite Air Conditioning Setup Reply with quote

Silverghost500 wrote:
LG Model LW5016 5,000 BTU.

Thanks! With the dimensions you provided, I'm thinking that LG unit might do nicely installed above the window in one of the rear doors in our big Dodge. Preliminary measurements indicate that it will fit. Oboy!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Campsite Air Conditioning Setup Reply with quote

spotted this on craigslist

ad fwiw
https://roanoke.craigslist.org/cto/d/iron-gate-1984-westfalia-vanagon/6993352055.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Campsite Air Conditioning Setup Reply with quote

I wonder how the hot air is expelled? Must be something cut in under the seat.

Interesting idea, but seems extreme.

I also noticed that Van has had a "high roof" added to the pop top! Weird and interesting.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Campsite Air Conditioning Setup Reply with quote

spotted on fleabay
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-Volkswagen-Bus-Vanag...Swbb5dv3cB

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Campsite Air Conditioning Setup Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
spotted this on craigslist

ad fwiw
https://roanoke.craigslist.org/cto/d/iron-gate-1984-westfalia-vanagon/6993352055.html

I saw this mod as well and sent the seller an email inquiring about the AC setup, but never got a response.

I thought the hightop addition to the pop top was neat...but not a fan of the overall execution of that mod.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Campsite Air Conditioning Setup Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:

Is the cooling system going to work on that kind of angle? All I know about refrigeration is that your fridge and dehumidifier must be level.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Campsite Air Conditioning Setup Reply with quote

Someone was bound to mount an RV AC unit on a VW camper. Looks like they went to zero trouble to fit it nicely. The weight is deflecting the heck out of the fiberglass roof. Interesting headliner. Must be hiding something.
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Campsite Air Conditioning Setup Reply with quote

Have you seen this solution from Fanchers? I tend to head to a higher elevation to avoid the heat, but I realize not everyone has that option. If I ever find myself needing relief from the heat, I think this would be a pre-made solution I would consider for $135.

Link

Here's a link to the product page: https://fanchers.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Fair-conditioner-cool-cone-74-91-bus-vanagon&page=2
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Campsite Air Conditioning Setup Reply with quote

That is significantly nicer looking and certainly more waterproof should it rain than what I did, but I have read someplace that the problem with those is that the duct between the AC and interior opening is long enough that with some units, the air starts to kind of recirculate in the duct itself, which kicks the AC off too early.

I simply clamp a blanket along the opening in the pop top, and drape it around the edge of the AC. Has worked well for me several times.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Campsite Air Conditioning Setup Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
That is significantly nicer looking and certainly more waterproof should it rain than what I did, but I have read someplace that the problem with those is that the duct between the AC and interior opening is long enough that with some units, the air starts to kind of recirculate in the duct itself, which kicks the AC off too early.

I simply clamp a blanket along the opening in the pop top, and drape it around the edge of the AC. Has worked well for me several times.

Looks like you came up with a similar solution but probably for about $130 less than the Fancher product! Just add a tarp if it rains.
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Campsite Air Conditioning Setup Reply with quote

Grumpy old man here.
Many go "camping" hoping for peace, quiet, relaxation. The constant noise of A/C and in many cases generators to power them is IMHO simply disrespectful of others that endure the noise and discomfort without receiving any benefit. If you simply must have the luxury please pay the extra cost and camp with the motorhomes far away from true campers. That way you endure others A/C and generator noises together.
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Campsite Air Conditioning Setup Reply with quote

dgbeatty wrote:
Grumpy old man here.
Many go "camping" hoping for peace, quiet, relaxation. The constant noise of A/C and in many cases generators to power them is IMHO simply disrespectful of others that endure the noise and discomfort without receiving any benefit. If you simply must have the luxury please pay the extra cost and camp with the motorhomes far away from true campers. That way you endure others A/C and generator noises together.

I understand your grumpiness, and agree to a certain extent. I rarely camp in earshot of other campers and prefer the solitude of a remote Forest Service site. I don't have an A/C unit, but I do have a "quiet" generator to augment my solar on cloudy days, especially in winter with shorter days. If I were camping with others close by, I'd definitely watch my noise levels. But if I lived in a hot and humid area where an A/C unit was really needed, I can certainly see adding one. Usually, my issues are staying warm. What irritates me the most are people firing their guns for hours on end... turns me into a grumpy old man! The sound travels for miles and scared my late dog.

Nobody could hear me here, regardless of A/C or generators. No other campsites for hundreds of yards. Bullet casings and broken bottles everywhere, though.
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
Bassyaks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Campsite Air Conditioning Setup Reply with quote

This setup works well , you lose interior space and you have warm air running thru the exhaust tube inside the van, but it's quick , just un plug the power and go, it'll also run off the inverters for a while.

[/img]
dgbeatty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Campsite Air Conditioning Setup Reply with quote

I thank anyone that responds to my comments. Just a few decades ago virtually no one had air conditioned homes, schools or cars. A/C is rarely a true necessity, a luxury yes. Our world has become unnecessarily loud much to the detrimate of our collective health.
Sorry for being old and grumpy with severe tinnitus.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Campsite Air Conditioning Setup Reply with quote

I don't have any kind of generator, so the only time I would use the AC is at a plug in site at the state park.

We don't have the great logging-road style camping sites anywhere near here, so generally a/the state park it is. I usually tend to avoid going to the areas with the plug in sites in preference for more secluded area, but have on occasion, with the AC, because it is still fun to go sleep in the bus and be able get up and go for a hike, even if it is only a few miles from home at the state park.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: