Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Old school 40hp dual carb set up 1960s
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Old school 40hp dual carb set up 1960s Reply with quote

hi any help on finding out who made this dual carb set up for a 40hp motor .its not home made its to well maid lot of work went into making it I hope some vintage person knows what it is and who made it thanks oh photos are not that good I will try to get better ones posted spencerfvee /
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

sorry about the super charger photo its not for sale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: old school 40hp dual carb set up 1960s Reply with quote

Those manifilds are tall ...I think there home made I doubt they would clear a deck lid in a beetle ..i believe if there was a kit of these could be made for a Baja beetle/off road with no deck lid .. because manifold kits for 36hp/40hp sold in the 50s/60s where made short to fit the vehicles ...
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: old school 40hp dual carb set up 1960s Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
Those manifilds are tall ...I think there home made I doubt they would clear a deck lid in a beetle ..i believe if there was a kit of these could be made for a Baja beetle/off road with no deck lid .. because manifold kits for 36hp/40hp sold in the 50s/60s where made short to fit the vehicles ...
hi we put them on a 40 hp motor and they are not taller than the fan housing. you are for getting how tall the vanguard manifolds were in the 1960s they used short air cleaners . also vintage empi intakes were tall I had a set of tall empi intakes fo rP40 solex carbs and they fit just fine. I too at first I though they would be to tall but when we put them on a 40 hp motor they worked fine thanks for the input I will get better photos and more info also okrasa manifolds are tall see photos the intake manifolds are not home made the manifold tubes are bigger than stock the manifold ends are bigger and they are cast that way .over the years I have seen lots of home made manifolds there allway made crude and look home made spencerfvee

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: old school 40hp dual carb set up 1960s Reply with quote

hi here is more photos of the carb set up as you can see they fit under the top of the fan housing if I had the heads on it would be more below the fan housing .I think the carbs are hard to find got to find more about them spencerfvee

[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: old school 40hp dual carb set up 1960s Reply with quote

So true ...its just they look tall as heck lol ...i like how these manifolds are straight ...most manifolds from a shop or home made who make or have made in the past usually have an s bend to them to clear the fan shroud ..these manifolds /carbs must be really close to the shroud when bolted I think that's why there so tall to clear the carb from the shroud....
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: old school 40hp dual carb set up 1960s Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
So true ...its just they look tall as heck lol ...i like how these manifolds are straight ...most manifolds from a shop or home made who make or have made in the past usually have an s bend to them to clear the fan shroud ..these manifolds /carbs must be really close to the shroud when bolted I think that's why there so tall to clear the carb from the shroud....
hi yea I know boy if this was 36hp every one would be all over it lol lol I had a guy look at it today hes going to ask a friend whos into 40hp builds .this belongs to a good friend and she wants to sell it .but see wants to know what it is .she don't want any one unhappy about it . thanks for your input spencerfvee
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Old school 40hp dual carb set up 1960s Reply with quote

I'll be a buyer put me on the selling list 🤔
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Old school 40hp dual carb set up 1960s Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I'll be a buyer put me on the selling list 🤔
ok i will tell her have a good week end spencerfvee
swanlakers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Old school 40hp dual carb set up 1960s Reply with quote

My vote is that it is home made. The carburetors and linkage look like early Okrasa. The switch to 32 PICB was around 1963. The set you have is earlier - 32 PBIC. I think they were taken from off of a 36hp engine.

The big clue for me is that kink in the linkage. It looks just right to shorten it up without cutting it. It would need shortening to compensate for the carbs being closer, because you don’t have an angle intake because it’s no longer on Okrasa heads. A factory job would not need a kink.

Also, that fuel line looks alot like plumbing line, not like metric cunifer (cupronickel) fuel line. Cupronickel was brazed, copper plumbing line is soldered. Looks like silver color solder to me, another clue for home built.

The manifolds do look nicely done. They look inspired by the Dietz kits, which had a solid tube between the intake manifolds, and not a rubber sleeve like the Okrasa kits.

Also, by 1963 there was an Okrasa head for the 40horse engine.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/7942074.jpg
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Old school 40hp dual carb set up 1960s Reply with quote

swanlakers wrote:
My vote is that it is home made. The carburetors and linkage look like early Okrasa. The switch to 32 PICB was around 1963. The set you have is earlier - 32 PBIC. I think they were taken from off of a 36hp engine.

The big clue for me is that kink in the linkage. It looks just right to shorten it up without cutting it. It would need shortening to compensate for the carbs being closer, because you don’t have an angle intake because it’s no longer on Okrasa heads. A factory job would not need a kink.

Also, that fuel line looks alot like plumbing line, not like metric cunifer (cupronickel) fuel line. Cupronickel was brazed, copper plumbing line is soldered. Looks like silver color solder to me, another clue for home built.

The manifolds do look nicely done. They look inspired by the Dietz kits, which had a solid tube between the intake manifolds, and not a rubber sleeve like the Okrasa kits.

Also, by 1963 there was an Okrasa head for the 40horse engine.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/pix/7942074.jpg
thank you you have been very helpful .it was driving me crazy lol. trying to find out what dual carb set up was .only on samba can one find out what parts are . all I can say is who ever put this together it did one nice job thanks again spencerfvee
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Old school 40hp dual carb set up 1960s swanlakers ??? Reply with quote

swanlakers would a person want the carbs and linkage for a okrasa motor .? my friend wants to sell them but she does not want to miss lead only one . would you sell them as part okrasa home made carbs or sell the carbs and linkage and junk the manifolds thanks spencerfvee
propguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Old school 40hp dual carb set up 1960s Reply with quote

Throwing my hat in the ring for the complete set up or at least the manifolds, if your friend does want to sell them. It would be fun to add them to my old speed set up.
Thanks
Nicholas Wm. LaMonica Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Old school 40hp dual carb set up 1960s Reply with quote

propguy wrote:
Throwing my hat in the ring for the complete set up or at least the manifolds, if your friend does want to sell them. It would be fun to add them to my old speed set up.
Thanks

We have these for sale $350 picked up $400 shipped

330 535 5243 cell
330 666 4230

Nick Lamonica Akron Ohio 1333 Collier Rd. zip 44320
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Old school 40hp dual carb set up 1960s Reply with quote

propguy wrote:
Thanks
hi the above post is the person who owns the dual carb set up you are interested in . please call him its pats husband thanks spencerfvee
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Old school 40hp dual carb set up 1960s Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
propguy wrote:
Thanks
hi the above post is the person who owns the dual carb set up you are interested in . please call him its pats husband thanks spencerfvee
……………………………………………………….the carbs have been sold they are no longer for sale spencerfvee
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Old school 40hp dual carb set up 1960s Reply with quote

So what you going to put them on Spencer? Laughing

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Old school 40hp dual carb set up 1960s Reply with quote

earthquake wrote:
So what you going to put them on Spencer? Laughing...………………………………………..I have gone over to the dark side of the force .and I am building a 1600cc ralley motor. .the carbs are on a stare ship . on there way to a new life forum. some were on earth lol lol I did not buy them . just had to have fun with you may the force be with you .the new stare wars is coming cant wait spencerfvee

eQ
oldslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Old school 40hp dual carb set up 1960s Reply with quote

Update: I’m the owner of these parts now. After a little bit of bending and straightening I mounted them on a 36hp engine.

petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: Old school 40hp dual carb set up 1960s Reply with quote

That's very cool. I am about half way through making a set of custom manifolds to fit dual 28PCIs to my singleport 36hp, I had considered making a nearly straight manifold like that but went with a curved manifold to keep the carbs lower. Do you plan on installing it in a car?
oldslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Old school 40hp dual carb set up 1960s Reply with quote

The manifold was clearly hot rodder made. Not a kit. The carburetor flanges are cut off exhausts and the flanges at the head are from 36hp or early 40hp, with some welding, some brazing.

The connecting pipe was a little bent up

Here it is compared to a 36hp manifold

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: