Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Little bit by little bit!!

You should get the hose clamps on the fresh air tubes going from fan shroud to the heat exchangers. If one of those tubes pops off the engine and especially that head gets way hotter.

Have you considered upgrading to a type 4 cooler in the DH shroud?
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Little bit by little bit!!

You should get the hose clamps on the fresh air tubes going from fan shroud to the heat exchangers. If one of those tubes pops off the engine and especially that head gets way hotter.

Have you considered upgrading to a type 4 cooler in the DH shroud?

I'll add the clamps. I hadn't considered doing a type 4 oil cooler. I figured, since i've ran non doghouse for 3 years and been okay (in TX) that I should be good with just moving to Doghouse.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Longboardluv wrote:

I'll add the clamps. I hadn't considered doing a type 4 oil cooler. I figured, since i've ran non doghouse for 3 years and been okay (in TX) that I should be good with just moving to Doghouse.

Might try an oil temp and pressure gauges. Was an eye opener for us when we finally did that. Did a lot of upgrades to bring engine temp down. Now got over 150,000 miles since last rebuilt on the 1641 cc SP engine we have been running nice and cool.

Hopefully your crankshaft pulley and cooling fan are the DH type that are biggest made for the 40 HP and later engines. DH fan changed three times getting wider.

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Longboardluv wrote:

Might try an oil temp and pressure gauges. Was an eye opener for us when we finally did that. Now got over 150,000 miles since last rebuilt on the 1641 cc SP engine we have been running nice and cool.

Hopefully your crankshaft pulley and cooling fan are the DH type that are biggest made for the 40 HP and later engines. DH fan changed three times getting wider.

do you have a link to any of the gauges you would recommend?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Longboardluv wrote:

do you have a link to any of the gauges you would recommend?

Have always picked up good used gauges for very little at the swap meets, or the classifieds here. Most of those for $5-10 each, so if one out of four is bad, it still does not add up to the cost of one new gauge. Have had great luck with the German made VDO gauges from the 1970s thru the 1980s, and prefer those that have the metal not the plastic bodies. Then when needed get new senders for them.

Will advise against any mechanical gauges, especially the cheaper ones out there.

What ever temp gauge you get, do get a meat or candy thermometer to cross check every few years at least that the gauge you have in/on the dash is at least close to correct. Probe needs to be at least 6" long and dial about 1" to clear in the tight space with the engine case so close to the dipstick tube. Of course check meat/candy thermometer with a pot of boiling water to make sure it is correct, and do remember you need to adjust for you altitude if you are much above sea level.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Hi Matt,

I've really enjoyed your refresh of this Transporter, making it your own. It seems like you are fearless about making it personalized and functional. Great documentation of your procedures and fixes! And you certainly not afraid to use her! I hope to meet both you and Helga someday! I get to Austin occasionally for work (flight attendant for AA) so "hell, it could happen". Take care of that Bus!

Bill Bowman
"BulliBill"
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
Hi Matt,

I hope to meet both you and Helga someday! I get to Austin occasionally for work (flight attendant for AA) so "hell, it could happen". Take care of that Bus!

Bill Bowman
"BulliBill"

Hey Bill thanks! Glad you like the thread. We meet the 1st Wed & Thursday of the month and 3rd Saturday of the month. Here's a link to our new youtube channel called VW Life. You can see all kinds of antics and stuff there..
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6shQNsfSrwm-BBx57hgEVQ/featured?view_as=subscriber
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

my transaxel was popping out of 4th. was able to get a rebuilt one installed along with a mid mount from Wolfgang Int.
this is the only pic i have of the day long install Smile
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

pulled the motor to swap over to a doghouse oil cooler

the studs on the adapter were too big so i drilled the holes out with a 8mm bit

all back together, pretty fun doing this over a weekend but..

figured my rear mail seal was leaking and found my gland nut was messed up. something was squeaking in big bend i think this was it.

confirmed, it's leaking.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Those cast tabs that hold the oil cooler are pretty weak as is. DH ones are cast beefier. Better to install 6 to 8mm studs instead.

Lots better to use household door foam tape to seal up the DH exhaust steel and tube tins. That duct tape just makes a mess when you have to take that apart.

Flywheel is going to always leak, the workshop manual shows that. So the question is how much. If one wants to reduce how much it leaks drilling a second drain hole for that area back into the case is a must.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=523735&highlight=oil+drain+hole

Last edited by Eric&Barb on Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Those cast tabs that hold the oil cooler are pretty weak as is. DH ones are cast beefier. Better to install 6-8mm studs.

Lots better to use household door foam tape to seal up the DH exhaust steel and tube tins. That duct tape just makes a mess when you have to take that apart.

Flywheel is going to always leak, the workshop manual shows that. So the question is how much. If one wants to reduce how much it leaks drilling a second drain hole for that area back into the case is a must.

okay okay good info thanks for sharing! hopefully the tabs hold up. that's why i drilled them 8mm exactly to match the studs.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Longboardluv wrote:

okay okay good info thanks for sharing! hopefully the tabs hold up. that's why i drilled them 8mm exactly to match the studs.

Good! Just want to mention that more for the next fellow.
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Longboardluv wrote:

Good! Just want to mention that more for the next fellow.

okay yeah cool. Smile
khalimadeath
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Cool to see your plugging along. I am just getting back into my 64. I like your common sense solutions, that I didnt think of. Like the heat ducting tape on the doghouse, the plasti dip on the strap hooks, genius.

1970 Bus Westfalia
1964 Kombi
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Nice work Matt J.
Looks like you will be ready for another Big Bend Bus Bash in Dec. Very Happy

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

silkvw wrote:
Nice work Matt J.
Looks like you will be ready for another Big Bend Bus Bash in Dec. Very Happy

yes sir, want to be ready.
still need to adjust front brakes, change oil, adjust valves and rainX
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

we installed a disc brake kit on Helga!

Link
WildIdea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Awesome, sometimes, all I ask is for a brother to walk me through something once! Thanks for posting.
1960 211 Panel American Camper Conversion
Brendel20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

Agreed. Thanks for posting. Great video
Longboardluv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: "Helga" Matt's 65 bus restoration thread - Austin TX! Reply with quote

i got a Koch steering wheel!

Link
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 25 of 26

Jump to: