Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

36 hp not idling
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
r0adrun3r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: 36 hp not idling Reply with quote

Rebuild my engine and have started it up for the first time last week but im having trouble getting the engine to idle below 1000 rpm. Every time i decrease the revs down it just cuts out.

I have rebuilt the fuel pump and carb so it could be either if im honest but just wondering if it could be something stupid like my idle jet has picked up dirt from my fuel can?

Carb is a selex 28 pci.
Any diagrams and examples would be much appreciated.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 hp not idling Reply with quote

Could you please post pictures of your engine setup and give a few more details as to what was done to the engine.
r0adrun3r
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 hp not idling Reply with quote

Cheers for the fast reply. Not sure if to close this thread as i solved the issue this morning.
Im pretty certain that the carb picked up dirt from fuel can when i was testing the fuel pump because after i cleaned it out with carb cleaner i started to see results and was able to idle the car at around 550 rpm.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Mind the dirty unit but there is a pic of my setup.

6 volt system
Distributor bosch vju 4br8 (Believe this is standard)
solex 28 pci
1192cc Barrel & piston kit 77mm
Standard crank,camshaft and rods
Standard heads but reconditioned and fitted with standard valvetrain
Running j tubes at the moment but switching to heater boxes once they get delivered.
Standard flywheel.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 36 hp not idling Reply with quote

Yes, the VJU 4 BR 8 was standard equipment 1954-1960.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: