Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heater Showdown - Propex, Chinese diesel heater, Espar, Buddy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Showdown - Propex, Chinese diesel heater, Espar, Buddy Reply with quote

^^^^. Perfect! Can you give info or a link to the fuel pump mod?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Showdown - Propex, Chinese diesel heater, Espar, Buddy Reply with quote

I have been trying to figure out how to tie the 2- 2.5mm I.D. diesel pump fuel line into my 5/16” nominal (3/8” I.D.) vitron fuel line.

I have searched for a tee fitting or even a hose barb reduction mender that might get me close. 2 mil is tiny! I’ve tried to build all manner of hardware store brass fittings to cobble together some kind of Frankenstein 3/8”x3/8”x2mm tee fitting.

I’m stumped. How are others tying into their existing fuel lines? Anyone know of a means todo this?
TIA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
beach_creature
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Showdown - Propex, Chinese diesel heater, Espar, Buddy Reply with quote

What if you just used a non reducing T. Then get a straight reducer off the T.
BCgee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Showdown - Propex, Chinese diesel heater, Espar, Buddy Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:
I have been trying to figure out how to tie the 2- 2.5mm I.D. diesel pump fuel line into my 5/16” nominal (3/8” I.D.) vitron fuel line.

I have searched for a tee fitting or even a hose barb reduction mender that might get me close. 2 mil is tiny! I’ve tried to build all manner of hardware store brass fittings to cobble together some kind of Frankenstein 3/8”x3/8”x2mm tee fitting.

I’m stumped. How are others tying into their existing fuel lines? Anyone know of a means todo this?
TIA.

Brass barb fittings worked for my fuel line splice going to an Espar B4 pump.
-1x 1/2 x 5/16 x 1/2 Tee
-1x 5/16 x 5/32 reducer
- 5/16 & 5/32 fuel hose, good clamps

The B4 came with a thicker black plastic fuel line that slid into the 5/32 hose and into the fuel hose connecting to the heater fuel pump. Then, the even smaller white plastic fuel line from the pump to heater uses two rubber hoses sections that came with the Espar unit.

I love my B4 and only managing one primary fuel source.

Hope this helps.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Showdown - Propex, Chinese diesel heater, Espar, Buddy Reply with quote

Awesome statement about the white noise! I don't think we are 'scared' of gas heaters here. I came very close to buying the petrol airtop 2000. Very awesome it just taps into the fuel tank.
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Showdown - Propex, Chinese diesel heater, Espar, Buddy Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Espar-Eberspacher-heater-...3032149565
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Showdown - Propex, Chinese diesel heater, Espar, Buddy Reply with quote

Thanks. Guess there are some options out there I hadn’t found.

I need to mic the plastic fuel hose to rubber hose transition.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Showdown - Propex, Chinese diesel heater, Espar, Buddy Reply with quote

Phishman- can you provide the links for the 90 degree angles for the fuel filter. I have been wanting to pull the trigger on a heater and would love a gas powered one rather than diesel of propane
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Showdown - Propex, Chinese diesel heater, Espar, Buddy Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:
Thanks. Guess there are some options out there I hadn’t found.

I need to mic the plastic fuel hose to rubber hose transition.

Yeah not a fan of that witchcraft myself. I plan to use only one size tubing for the setup.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Heater Showdown - Propex, Chinese diesel heater, Espar, Buddy Reply with quote

I guess I don't know what size fuel inlet there is for the heater pump, but you only need to use that small diameter, hard plastic fuel line between the pump and heater. You should be able to feed the pump with rubber hose.

But however you get fuel TO the pump, you NEED to use the plastic line between the pump and heater. That is how it pulses fuel into the heater; rubber would absorb the pulses too easily and it wouldn't meter properly.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Heater Showdown - Propex, Chinese diesel heater, Espar, Buddy Reply with quote

One note or question about all these heater options - when folks say they heat the bus great for camping, please let us know if this is with the pop-top up or down - or for that matter if you even have a pop-top.

Phishman 068 - I am thinking of going the same way as you - a webasto that runs on the regular gasoline. Which type of controller are you using?

Afterburner question - is there a thread that discusses using these? and would they work with a gasoline Webasto? I would think it would, but i don't fully understand how they work yet.

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Heater Showdown - Propex, Chinese diesel heater, Espar, Buddy Reply with quote

I've got a pop-top and camp with it up whenever possible.

I made a layer of reflectix insulation that just press-fits on the inside that I put up in cold weather. That seems to help cut the draftiness from the canvas. I'm sure it is still cooler up there (my wife and I sleep downstairs) but the heater still helps take the chill off, for sure. Others who have slept up there haven't complained.

Sometimes I'll set a small battery powered fan blowing upwards to help get some warm air to circulate into the upper berth.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Showdown - Propex, Chinese diesel heater, Espar, Buddy Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
I guess I don't know what size fuel inlet there is for the heater pump, but you only need to use that small diameter, hard plastic fuel line between the pump and heater. You should be able to feed the pump with rubber hose.

But however you get fuel TO the pump, you NEED to use the plastic line between the pump and heater. That is how it pulses fuel into the heater; rubber would absorb the pulses too easily and it wouldn't meter properly.

Great point! Thanks.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Showdown - Propex, Chinese diesel heater, Espar, Buddy Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:

Great point! Thanks.

And to add to that a little, you just use small bits of the rubber hose to join the plastic hose to the pump and heater. You should shove them all together so there is little to no space between the plastic and heater/fuel pump nipples, then clamp down on the rubber to join it all together.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Showdown - Propex, Chinese diesel heater, Espar, Buddy Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
rmcd wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:

Great point! Thanks.

And to add to that a little, you just use small bits of the rubber hose to join the plastic hose to the pump and heater. You should shove them all together so there is little to no space between the plastic and heater/fuel pump nipples, then clamp down on the rubber to join it all together.

Gonna bump this again cause I thought the plastic hose setup was a nightmare waiting to happen so I have been thinking about how to all this without it. Thanks again.

Great note.
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Heater Showdown - Propex, Chinese diesel heater, Espar, Buddy Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
epbiggs wrote:
I sure wish there was a way to tell how much propane is left in my tank, but that's just the way it is, I guess.

The main issue I have is with the thermostat. When I'm winter camping I can stay toasty sleeping in my -20 down bag, but would like to keep the van above 32 degrees to keep the water tank and other stuff from freezing overnight. At the lowest setting, it keeps the van at around 50ish degrees, which is warmer than I need for sleeping and if I'm out for a couple of weeks, I worry about running out of propane. Does anyone know of any hacks to adjust the standard thermostat to maintain a lower temperature, or do i need to spend the $80 to get the Propex digital thermostat (Van Cafe/RMW has them, so I can pick it up locally), which I assume would solve the issue, but may require a new wiring harness. Does anyone have any experience with the Propex digital thermostat version?

Boil a pot of water and throw it against the tank, it will show a frost line at the propane level.

There is a thread re: 'hacking' the older thermostat to a lower range. I'm sure you can find that with a little searching, or someone reading here can find it.

The new style thermostat (2-knob) has a freeze setting of 40, but the heating range if 60-80 beyond that. The digital thermostat / timer recently introduced has a 32-86 degree set range, and also gives you the option of setting a timer to turn it on 1-16 hours later. Both of the newer versions require the newer harness which uses 6 wires vs 5 as well as different plugs on both ends. I (the importer) sell all.

Thanks for the info! I'll give the hot water trick on the tank. To confirm, the new digital thermostat is doable with the new 6 pin wiring harness? And the 6 pin harness plug is compatible with the "older" HS2800? How much is the harness? The new 2 knob version with the "freeze setting" sounds great, but it seems to me if I were to upgrade, I might as well go with the digital version for more precise control and the timer feature. I'll also search for the hack you mentioned. Thanks again!
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Heater Showdown - Propex, Chinese diesel heater, Espar, Buddy Reply with quote

epbiggs wrote:

Thanks for the info! I'll give the hot water trick on the tank. To confirm, the new digital thermostat is doable with the new 6 pin wiring harness? And the 6 pin harness plug is compatible with the "older" HS2800? How much is the harness? The new 2 knob version with the "freeze setting" sounds great, but it seems to me if I were to upgrade, I might as well go with the digital version for more precise control and the timer feature. I'll also search for the hack you mentioned. Thanks again!

Yes, and you can find pricing and such through the web link in my signature.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanlife Geek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Heater Showdown - Propex, Chinese diesel heater, Espar, Buddy Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
epbiggs wrote:

Yes, and you can find pricing and such through the web link in my signature.

Is it the Thermostat Cable for $30? That was the only cable product I could find on your site in one of the drop downs, but it didn't say how many pins. Also, I think I found the hack you mentioned and just started reading about changing a resistor. Unfortunately, all the pictures are blurred out by photobucket but I think I can still figure it out. Thanks
Previous:
1983 Westy
1981 Westy
1972 Bug (Last year you could buy a new one for under $2,000)
1965/66 Bug (2 bugs from a junk yard combined to make 1 functional bug)
1959 Bug (Pre Gas Gauge Era)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: Heater Showdown - Propex, Chinese diesel heater, Espar, Buddy Reply with quote

that really depends on many personal factors.
personal comfort levels
actual air/wind exposure/impacts
BTU capability of your heat source.

I've camped in cold, in snow with my propex 2800 2.5kw ~9k BTU) heater in temps in the low teens, in an 8in snowfall @ 8,oooft in Yellowstone and with blankets been quite comfy, the Ms comfy as well.

my camper is a ASI Riviera and I sleep in the top bunk. girl and the dog get the lower bed.

kguarnotta wrote:
One note or question about all these heater options - when folks say they heat the bus great for camping, please let us know if this is with the pop-top up or down - or for that matter if you even have a pop-top.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Heater Showdown - Propex, Chinese diesel heater, Espar, Buddy Reply with quote

Westy with pop top up, no insulation.

Propex HS2000, 32 degrees in Moab over night. No problem keeping warm. Only needed a blanket even in top bunk.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: