Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Major Ivan Hirst autographs...
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Major Ivan Hirst autographs... Reply with quote

I recently saw a thread about an autograph by Heinz Nordhoff in a book. It reminded me that during the 1999 "DKF Return To The Fatherland Tour" our group of intrepid drivers were able to enjoy an evening with dinner and a long talk with Major Ivan Hirst a few months before he passed away at 84. What an evening!

Anyway, during the evening at a quaint pub in central England, he talked personally with all the tour participants, he even came outside to check out all of the Tour cars (1943 thru 1956 US owned vintage VW models) and chat in general about anything. We got loads of photos with him, a few of us shot video of his presentation and a few of us got the Major to autograph our items.

I was fortunate to be carrying both my original owners manual for my 1955 Deluxe Sunroof as well as an original hardbound 1952-57 VW Workshop dealership Service manual on board my Beetle. Major Hirst took great interest in the Workshop Manual, and he told us that one of his many duties at Wolfsburg in the late 40's was to organize the initial writing and publishing of the original Workshop Service Manuals and the translation and printing in many languages of these manuals for dealerships all over the world. He graciously autographed both items for my collection.

He seemed to be a very humble man, not seeking the limelight of the VW enthusiasts for what he had done in a few years while helping to re-organize and oversee the operations of the Wolfsburg factory. I imagine that his autographs are fairly rare, and I started this thread to ask for opinions of the insurance value of both items. I am NOT selling these personal treasures of that evening. But I thought I ought to make sure that I and my wife know their approximate value for insurance purposes. The items themselves have nice value, but having them autographed by such a key figure in VW history during that historic trip/Tour, makes them pretty special. Can any of you serious collectors give me a guess as to what I should tell my insurance agent to cover them for? Thanks for your ideas.

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Major Ivan Hirst autographs... Reply with quote

Bill this is the stuff I'm talking about..
Thomas Very Happy

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Major Ivan Hirst autographs... Reply with quote

Tom, this is for you. I just re-discovered some prints from the night we spent with Major Ivan Hirst.

That's Ohio VW enthusiast Don Narus on the left, Major Ivan Hirst in the middle and myself.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

In the Pub after his incredible and lengthy presentation, L to R: Don Narus, myself, Bob Case (RIP) with back to camera, unknown British couple in background, and Major Ivan Hirst at right.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Bill

p.s. never heard back from anyone with an estimate value of the items that the Major autographed for us for insurance purposes. Anyone?
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Major Ivan Hirst autographs... Reply with quote

Bump!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Major Ivan Hirst autographs... Reply with quote

Oops my bad Bill, thanks for bumping....you were so fortunate to have had that opportunity,
That trip was legendary, still thinks it needs to documented/journal as far as dates names times incidents, stories, photographs, videos. LOL Coffee table version....
Thanks again Bill.
Tomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: