Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
WestyPop
Samba Member


Joined: February 08, 2005
Posts: 1726
Location: SoCal
WestyPop is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
While I generally like driving my '78 with TDI motor, it is kind of noisy.

So I've been thinking of ways to quiet it down!



FYI: '82-? Vanagon diesels (at least the Westfalia models) had a better oem mat/carpet inside the cab laying over the engine area than did the gassers. They were much more effective at killing the diesel's clacking song while heading down the road, and can be trimmed to fit a baywindow.
_________________
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.
______________________________________
J.R.
68 Westy
(+ others)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member


Joined: April 24, 2004
Posts: 4459
Location: Manhattan, Kansas, USA
vwwestyman is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

WestyPop wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:
While I generally like driving my '78 with TDI motor, it is kind of noisy.

So I've been thinking of ways to quiet it down!



FYI: '82-? Vanagon diesels (at least the Westfalia models) had a better oem mat/carpet inside the cab laying over the engine area than did the gassers. They were much more effective at killing the diesel's clacking song while heading down the road, and can be trimmed to fit a baywindow.


I have seen some good-looking-if-expensive floor mat material out there that is supposed to kill sound too, which I was thinking about if this project doesn't do all I want it to do.

Any idea what the Vanagon mats were made of?
_________________
Dave Cook
Stuartzickefoose wrote:
I'm gonna punch vwwestyman then shake his hand when I meet him.

notchboy wrote:
Ill just punch you in the face. Wink

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
www.thefosterdads.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oc92
Samba Member


Joined: November 30, 2005
Posts: 453
Location: NC
oc92 is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

... what about the wooden rear seat on Westy? Would it make sense to put some sound deadening on the inside of the wood panels as well? Or do the Dynamat type products only work for sound resonating on metal panels?
_________________
" ... he walked the pavement of the city- a beggar and a king. Has it been otherwise with any man?" WOLFE

72 bus
70 bug
96 mx5
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
asiab3
Air-Schooled


Joined: April 04, 2012
Posts: 10544
Location: wherever you are, USA
asiab3 is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

oc92 wrote:
... what about the wooden rear seat on Westy? Would it make sense to put some sound deadening on the inside of the wood panels as well? Or do the Dynamat type products only work for sound resonating on metal panels?


Your latter thoughts are correct- Westy wood doesnít transmit vibrations like metal.

A few blankets over the engine go a long way too Wink
Robbie
_________________
www.airschooled.com/ - Now booking online 1-on-1 Volkswagen tech help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member


Joined: November 23, 2007
Posts: 3323
Location: Wyoming,USA
TomWesty is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
oc92 wrote:
... what about the wooden rear seat on Westy? Would it make sense to put some sound deadening on the inside of the wood panels as well? Or do the Dynamat type products only work for sound resonating on metal panels?


Your latter thoughts are correct- Westy wood doesnít transmit vibrations like metal.

A few blankets over the engine go a long way too Wink
Robbie
Thatís just irresponsible. Cool
_________________
If you haven't bled on them, you haven't worked on them.
Visit: www.tomcoryell.com and check out my music!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
oc92
Samba Member


Joined: November 30, 2005
Posts: 453
Location: NC
oc92 is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

no its cool... I already did the engine with spray foam Smile
_________________
" ... he walked the pavement of the city- a beggar and a king. Has it been otherwise with any man?" WOLFE

72 bus
70 bug
96 mx5
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member


Joined: April 24, 2004
Posts: 4459
Location: Manhattan, Kansas, USA
vwwestyman is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

It will be a while before I can drive and see the difference, but I ordered a roll of this to try insulating the Westy with.

My main goal is to quiet down the diesel engine noise, but I think I'll try insulating with it in other places as I have panels off for whatever reason.

While I have the engine out, I plan to basically cut it in such a way as to fill all the open spaces in the fuel tank area, hoping to absorb as much noise as possible.

I chose it as it's not supposed to soak up water. I was looking at hydrophobic melamine foam, but pointed at this because it'll be more durable than the foam.
https://www.yahoosoundproofing.com/americamat.html
_________________
Dave Cook
Stuartzickefoose wrote:
I'm gonna punch vwwestyman then shake his hand when I meet him.

notchboy wrote:
Ill just punch you in the face. Wink

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
www.thefosterdads.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member


Joined: April 24, 2004
Posts: 4459
Location: Manhattan, Kansas, USA
vwwestyman is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
It will be a while before I can drive and see the difference, but I ordered a roll of this to try insulating the Westy with.

My main goal is to quiet down the diesel engine noise, but I think I'll try insulating with it in other places as I have panels off for whatever reason.

While I have the engine out, I plan to basically cut it in such a way as to fill all the open spaces in the fuel tank area, hoping to absorb as much noise as possible.

I chose it as it's not supposed to soak up water. I was looking at hydrophobic melamine foam, but pointed at this because it'll be more durable than the foam.
https://www.yahoosoundproofing.com/americamat.html


The giant roll of insulation I ordered arrived last week but I haven't had ability to do anything about it due to either time or being too damn cold out!

I ordered a bit of this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0725ZHDPS/ref=p...&psc=1

I plan to install it next to the metal where ever I install that insulation mat, to prevent the mat from trapping water next to the metal. It should still be able to drain on out.
_________________
Dave Cook
Stuartzickefoose wrote:
I'm gonna punch vwwestyman then shake his hand when I meet him.

notchboy wrote:
Ill just punch you in the face. Wink

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
www.thefosterdads.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dirigible
Samba Member


Joined: September 28, 2009
Posts: 207
Location: Sudbury, ON Canada
dirigible is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

I've removed all the panels and OEM sound damping/insulation from the cavities, and I'm trying to determine what to refill them with. Here's what I've learned from this thread:
1. Don't use batting, because it absorbs moisture. (Agreed.)
2. Don't use FatMat-type solutions because it makes a mess. (Agreed.)

Are there any options I'm missing? I was happy with the noise-level of the OEM batting... I just want to achieve the same in the least destructive way possible.
_________________
'71 Campmobile.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joey
Samba Member


Joined: August 12, 2005
Posts: 5158
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Joey is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

My '60 bus had Dynamat Extreme applied to the area under the rear bench/bed. I was looking for something under my rear bench/bed seat one day and noticed a few bulges in the Dynamat. I pushed on it and it felt spongy. I made a slice in the Dynamat and out came some liquid! It wasn't water as it was -7C that day. It it ended up being the de-greaser I used a few month earlier to clean the engine compartment. I've since removed the Dynamt. What a pain that was! There was some surface rust starting in the areas where the de-greaser was trapped under the Dynamat. The cargo floor and most of the interior walls was covered in some sort of black glue/tar goop. To remove that I had to use a heat gun, propane torch, plastic scraper and minerial spirits. Many, many hours was spent removing that goop....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.


I was surprised the floor wasn't more rusty as most of the drain holes were covered over with the goop. Being from California must of helped.

Be careful what you choose for insulation and sound deadener...
_________________
Joey

Ď60 Kombi - '74 Bus - '79 Panel - '56 Beetle - '65 Beetle

vintagevdubbers.ca
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Love77
Samba Member


Joined: September 25, 2019
Posts: 13
Location: Philadelphia
Love77 is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

I've seen on some other postings that people have put Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener Mat (like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0751CBXBT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) under their front seats to dampen sound noise from the wheel wells.

The question I have is since this is also where my AUX battery set up is, do people just install the components over the mat?
_________________
Hoth: 1990 Vanagon Westy 2.5 Subie
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member


Joined: April 24, 2004
Posts: 4459
Location: Manhattan, Kansas, USA
vwwestyman is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Insulation / sound deadening thread FAQ Reply with quote

Looks like you're working with a Vanagon. Our Buses don't have the batteries up front under the seats, they're in the back with the engine.

I don't know why you couldn't use that stuff under the battery, though I know the compartments are pretty tight, so you'd want to be careful to not lift it up too much and cause fitment issues.
_________________
Dave Cook
Stuartzickefoose wrote:
I'm gonna punch vwwestyman then shake his hand when I meet him.

notchboy wrote:
Ill just punch you in the face. Wink

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
www.thefosterdads.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2020, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB