Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Faith in mankind has been restored
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: My Faith in mankind has been restored Reply with quote

I own a Auto glass replacement business. Tough Biz with lots of competition, Sealing the deal on the phone and listening to customers needs is job one.
Since I am self employed I always answer my phone. A guy texts me on a Sunday for the replacement of the rear glass in his Prius. Wants me to beat Safelite's price which is a no brainer.
I make an appointment and meet him at my remote location. Nice enough guy but right of the pat tells me he can't pay for the job until Friday and this is Monday. Tells me he is a dog walker and they fund on Thursday, he then goes on to show me the his incoming payments as well as his rating.
Says he can not work without his car being secure and assures me he will pay on Friday. At this I think in 12 years I've only been had once and that was by a local cop.
I did the job and handed him the invoice and he drove away. HE had my banking info and said he would do a direct deposit into my account Friday morning or earlier.
While out Friday morning I get a text with a picture of the bank deposit slip into my account.
I am not above a little charity once in a while and figured if this guy could concoct that elaborate of a story and is that hard up, then so be it. Thanksgiving is around the corner and we all need to be thankful for something.
So go out there and take a chance on mankind, you might just be surprised.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: My Faith in mankind has been restored Reply with quote

Good job Stacy!

Someone kept their word and you were kind enough to do the job and give him a little time to pay.

I want to hear the deadbeat cop story.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: My Faith in mankind has been restored Reply with quote

On the other side, I ordered some firewood from a local guy I've never used, he took over an existing firewood lot.

I wasn't going to be around when it was to be delivered so I left a baggie full of cash in a location near my garage.
I told him where it was for when he delivered the wood.
The Cash is gone and a small mountain of really nice split Ash and Oak replaced it.

He could just as easily taken my money, not left the wood and claimed the money wasn't there when he came to deliver.

Kudos to the small business man!

Today I was picking at the pile and stacking it to further dry before it is needed. (I've become a big fan of the circular pile covered by a tarp)
I get a few feet into the dump pile and see something thin and black..... "Crap!" Thinks I ...."I hate snakes!" I prodded at it with a stick......
Turns out to be a really nice small pry bar.
He probably used it to unclog a log jam on the conveyor as he was loading the truck.
I called him and he was over joyed to have it located. He had made a dozen deliveries that day since the jam was cleared and figured it was in someones pile somewhere .... but who's?

There are lots of good people out there still.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: My Faith in mankind has been restored Reply with quote

I sent a vintage baseball glove to a restorer in Missouri, he shipped it back to me before I ever mailed the check, very "old school".

And in 1988 I took my 1984 Jeep Cherokee to an Emissions Shop who made carburetor adjustments to make vehicles pass, for $25. He said go pass the test, then come back and I'll re-adjust for drivability. Well, I watched him, he pulled off a vacuum line to lean it out, then turned a screw to make the idle workable. But I went back after I passed and paid him the $25, even though I could've set back myself.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My Faith in mankind has been restored Reply with quote

I used to be a quality control inspector for a major airline. I was aboard a plane having work done and noticed a pile of trash where seats were removed. Maybe I’m a scavenger and a hoarder, I’ll cop to that. I noticed a hardcover book in the pile and fished it out.

It was a child’s middle school yearbook so I started reading the messages written inside written by other kids and was able to figure out the little girls name. I googled the school name and got the principal on the line. Explained the situation and sent the book to him. A week or two later I received a letter from the little girls grandma telling me how happy they all were getting that book back. Little things mean a lot it doesn’t have to be something major to bring joy to somebody.

Just last Saturday wife and I went to Petsmart To grab a few items and they were having cat adoptions from a local rescue nonprofit. We adopted an animal from this same outfit about 16 months ago. Wife struck up a conversation with the crazy cat ladies and they remembered the particular cat so my wife got on their Facebook group and contacted the lady that raised that little cat. The story was this litter of cats was abandoned while only days old so she had to hand raise and bottle feed them, this is time consuming messy and a pain.

Some of you know hand raised animals be they domesticated or wild bond to humans more deeply considering the human to be their mother. The woman was moved to tears because she finally knew that cat had received a decent home. Tomorrow the crazy cat ladies are coming over to see the little runt that now weighs 14 pounds and eats like a horse. Again small things can make someone happy. While they are commiserating maybe I’ll drink a beer.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: My Faith in mankind has been restored Reply with quote

These are the things that get people to keep the faith in humanity.

Years ago I lived in a mostly African American area in Brooklyn, and my then girlfriend, now wife was mugged in the subway, and the thief made off with her bag. No real surprise, as the students at the local college were all seen as easy marks.

A few days later we got a package in the mail, containing her bag, and all the contents including ID, wallet, makeup, etc. The only thing missing was cash. There was a note attached from the woman who found the bag in her yard, apologizing about the element in the neighborhood who stole things, wanting to make it clear that not all African Americans were like that.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My Faith in mankind has been restored Reply with quote

Very Happy

Link

good on you for rolling the dice. sadly my faith in humanity is poor. today was a classic example.

customers kid has a hondog and asks me to look at it. long story short, has 2 bad coil packs

replace coils, plugs, road test. mint. hand him the bill, pays. hour later "it's doing the same thing"

it's 10 to 5 on Friday when he calls back. I need a stiff drink as it is. comes back on the hook at 7:30. runs mint...wtf...

looking at data, my ECT is doing weird shit. open radiator cap. no coolant. squeeze hoses...feel no coolant.

find a stick thru the radiator. call him up...mind you, it's 8 fuckin-o-clock on a Friday. told him 99% sure it's cooked, will know more Monday (because fuck you if you think i'm going to make this my problem now and work on a Saturday...which I haven't done in almost 20 yrs)

his reply: the stick wasn't there when I left.

yup, you're right

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My Faith in mankind has been restored Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Very Happy

Link

good on you for rolling the dice. sadly my faith in humanity is poor. today was a classic example.

customers kid has a hondog and asks me to look at it. long story short, has 2 bad coil packs

replace coils, plugs, road test. mint. hand him the bill, pays. hour later "it's doing the same thing"

it's 10 to 5 on Friday when he calls back. I need a stiff drink as it is. comes back on the hook at 7:30. runs mint...wtf...

looking at data, my ECT is doing weird shit. open radiator cap. no coolant. squeeze hoses...feel no coolant.

find a stick thru the radiator. call him up...mind you, it's 8 fuckin-o-clock on a Friday. told him 99% sure it's cooked, will know more Monday (because fuck you if you think i'm going to make this my problem now and work on a Saturday...which I haven't done in almost 20 yrs)

his reply: the stick wasn't there when I left.

yup, you're right

Bwahaha!

Dude! Tell the little bastard that because there it a stick in the radiator, that his collusion policy will cover it. He’ll call the insurance company & you’ll get paid to do the diag, tear down, AND storage when the ins co decides to total it . Laughing

I just went through this twice in a week, I got paid more for the car to get junked.

The first one was a ‘04 1.8t convertible Beetle that had a torn inner CV boot that sling grease on the turbo that caused an engine fire. The only thing burned was an intake hose & the harness to the coil packs. I fully expected them to junk it but the dipshit adjuster pays me to remove the engine “to look at the damage on the back side of the engine”. ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!?

The second one was a ‘08 Mini Cooper S that hit a raccoon & broke the secondary water pump. No coolant level sensor & the coolant temp sensor doesn’t work if there’s no coolant so she cooked it. The insurance adjuster told me to tear it down & I found that the pistons had melted down & transferred to the cylinder walls. Car only had 40,000 miles on it, no chance in hell of finding a used engine with less miles so they scrapped it too.

My faith in humanity is well established, my wife, on her way back from a funeral on Wednesday, got rear ended by an illegal that gave the cop falsified insurance policy #.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My Faith in mankind has been restored Reply with quote

^^^^ And then there are those that dwell only on what is negative. ^^^^^
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My Faith in mankind has been restored Reply with quote

You are Easy, It's super cool this guy paid, and I honestly wish we were all like that, but the more time passes and I deal with people, the more I am dissapointed with mankind. Call me a pesimist, heck even call me a grinch, but people are aholes. Don't believe me? wait for the responses to my post!

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My Faith in mankind has been restored Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

Was thinking same.

At my current job, I get to deliver energy logs and pellets (wood burning heat source) to lots of folks. Some have paid out of pocket, but many use some sort of energy assistance to keep their homes warm.

I like the feeling I get when I drop a winter's worth of heat into their garage, knowing that at least for some time of each day, that house is warm and dry. I do everything I can to get those one ton pallets into place.

On the flip side, my daughter has been working very hard at her dance classes, and for whatever reason has become very concerned that her parents cannot afford to pay for them. Granted, it does get expensive, but we collectively made the decision to keep her dancing five nights a week. A busy teen is a teen that keeps her shit straight.

Anyway, she was recently invited to join the next level of ballet classes, and be fitted for point shoes. This is a very big deal. and pricey. Someone involved in the studio has watched my daughter over the last couple of years, and saw fit to bestow a scholarship for her, and pay for the classes and the shoes. We were all stunned, and grateful for the recognition of this kid's hard work and dedication.

Thanks, whoever you are.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: My Faith in mankind has been restored Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:

no, it's just reality. when you have a family to feed, bills, insurance, taxes etc you have to be careful.

i'll donate time, never materials. last year around this time had a woman with a beat down Toyota. long story short...burnt valves amongst other issues. spent a couple hours on the Toylet in diag. noticed some young children's toys on the dumpster of a floor in the back seat.

woman agreed to xxx.xx in diag fees. I had to punch her in the gut with the bad news her 300k Toylet was crusher bait. I always hate those conversations.

she came to retrieve what was left of her car. it was clear she had hit hard times. she asked if I took cash, as she had no checking account or CC. so here was this woman, standing in front of me with her ragamuffin daughter ready to leave in a car not fit for scrap.

my wife slides the invoice and keys over to me. I took the paperwork ripped it in 1/2 and told the woman "Merry Christmas....make sure Santa is good to her this year" she broke down...my wife cried....

so...am I negative? you bet. do I have a heart? on a case to case basis, yes...because the public at large is out to fuck you any way they can 98% of the time. I don't gamble. with odds like that, who would?

i'm glad it worked out for the o/p....I am. whenever I hear "can you beat so and so's price" I mentally cash out...I don't cater to the bottom feeder client base. experience has taught me they are the absolute worst customers on the planet.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: My Faith in mankind has been restored Reply with quote

no, it's just reality. when you have a family to feed, bills, insurance, taxes etc you have to be careful.

Yet, in a thread about good things happening, you chose to take a dump. Why not simply post the good thing you did for that gal, and leave it at that?

We all have to deal with shitty things every day. At my new job, I have to clean the fucking bathrooms once a week. Nobody told me that before I was hired, and it is a thorn in my relationship at this place, but I do it. For now.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: My Faith in mankind has been restored Reply with quote

Some close friends of ours lost thier 11 year old son to a freak at home accident. They have a large number of friends and family so the only facility big enough in town to accommodate the expected 1200 people for the service was the hockey arena. There was hockey games scheduled right up to 10:00 PM the night before so the arrangement was made to get the rink covered with plywood ready for the chairs etc. after the last game - work through the night if need be.

The game scheduled was the old timer's league (40 years old and up) in a game with a neighboring community. When the players found out what was up they forfeited the game, chipped in and helped and the place was ready by midnight!
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My Faith in mankind has been restored Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:

Yet, in a thread about good things happening, you chose to take a dump. Why not simply post the good thing you did for that gal, and leave it at that?

We all have to deal with shitty things every day. At my new job, I have to clean the fucking bathrooms once a week. Nobody told me that before I was hired, and it is a thorn in my relationship at this place, but I do it. For now.

I agree with you. My apologies as I did the same. Poop on this post. But I still feel the same about peeps.

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My Faith in mankind has been restored Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My Faith in mankind has been restored Reply with quote

I think faith in mankind cannot be restored by someone doing something they said they would do. That should be called keeping your word, integrity, and responsibility.

Faith in mankind or humanity is probably better shown in instances where people give to others out of generosity, or share what they have with other, or provide some assistance to someone who needs help etc, asking for nothing in return.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: My Faith in mankind has been restored Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
I think faith in mankind cannot be restored by someone doing something they said they would do. That should be called keeping your word, integrity, and responsibility.

Faith in mankind or humanity is probably better shown in instances where people give to others out of generosity, or share what they have with other, or provide some assistance to someone who needs help etc, asking for nothing in return.

True enough but in this modern age when corruption and greed are so rampant that even the leaders of our countries (I'm talking a world wide phenomena here) are not expected to keep thier word or follow the laws and we as voters keep re-electing them, a bit of common decency stands out like a sore thumb!

The fact that a few people have managed to cultivate and retain some integrity is no small miracle. Let's flush it out and celebrate it in whatever form it may yet be found.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: My Faith in mankind has been restored Reply with quote

You know what an asshole I am Very Happy but here’s one more. I’m over at Fed Ex/Kinkos using a copy machine and when I lift the cover see a driver’s license.
Not just any license but a CDL with specialized endorsements. So I’m looking at it and just google the name. Real distinctive name too, something like Igor Jackemoff he’s on Facebook and LinkedIn but I also see his address which is a apartment building about 3 blocks away. I went on over and talked to property management, yep they know Igor and he’s a swell fellow. She calls him and he doesn’t even know it’s gone, needless to say he’s real happy. Then he wants to pay me I said hell no just pay it forward. Help a brother out when the time is right. Took about 20 minutes of my time to help Igor. Lots of time hassle and money to replace lost CDL.
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: My Faith in mankind has been restored Reply with quote

Sometimes, when I go through a drive though and I get up to the window to pay, I'll ask what's the cost of the person behind me. If it's reasonable, I'll go ahead and pay it.

I've been on the receiving end of that before and it's a nice surprise when you get to the window.
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: