Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Christine Lives! Carb/fuel problem resolved - now starter?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject: Christine Lives! Carb/fuel problem resolved - now starter? Reply with quote

Boy I tell you want. After messing around with this Super resolving my fuel pressure problem, and then my Empi 34Pict3 lean/jetting problem, I went for a nice drive last night. All is good!

But as Christine has a mind of her own, I wanted to hear the chirping of the motor before I left for work this morning, even considered driving Christine to work. So I get in the car, turn the key, and NOTHING. WTF? I have lights, I have electrical power, I hear the fuel cutoff solenoid click, but nothing from the starter. Christine is messing with me.

I know it has to be something simple - juice to starter solenoid to starter.

So, after work I will be under Christine (rubbing her belly) testing the solenoid.

When will this end?
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Christine Lives! Carb/fuel problem resolved - now starter? Reply with quote

txasylum wrote:
When will this end?

It won't! It's called a hobby! Wink
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Christine Lives! Carb/fuel problem resolved - now starter? Reply with quote

I'm thinking it might be an easy fix. I put the back seat back in last night (I think it was after the drive). Maybe I knocked a wire off something, but anxious to get home and crawl under Christine to see if power is getting to solenoid.

beetlenut wrote:
txasylum wrote:
When will this end?

It won't! It's called a hobby! Wink
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Christine Lives! Carb/fuel problem resolved - now starter? Reply with quote

txasylum wrote:
I'm thinking it might be an easy fix. I put the back seat back in last night (I think it was after the drive). Maybe I knocked a wire off something, but anxious to get home and crawl under Christine to see if power is getting to solenoid.

Yep, you need to test, not guess. Under the seat is a good logical start before you climb underneath to test at small wire at the starter when helper turns the key to start; safer if in neutral with brake on !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
d2305
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Christine Lives! Carb/fuel problem resolved - now starter? Reply with quote

We have no immobilizers or chips in our keys. Shouldn't be hard to figure out. I found out a fully charged batter is 12.9 volts. Good place to start.
reichfur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Christine Lives! Carb/fuel problem resolved - now starter? Reply with quote

Had the same problem a week ago . Looked at all the connections before remembering to knock on the starter with a mallet . Problem solved .
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Christine Lives! Carb/fuel problem resolved - now starter? Reply with quote

Easiest fix ever. Wire came off solenoid.

Cusser wrote:
txasylum wrote:

Yep, you need to test, not guess. Under the seat is a good logical start before you climb underneath to test at small wire at the starter when helper turns the key to start; safer if in neutral with brake on !!!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Christine Lives! Carb/fuel problem resolved - now starter? Reply with quote

txasylum wrote:
Easiest fix ever. Wire came off solenoid.

Cusser wrote:
txasylum wrote:

I've had that happen too, while doing a clutch adjustment. Be sure that the female connector onto the solenoid male terminal is tight, squeeze the ends a tad tighter.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: