Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1957 Bus Restoration Opinions
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwy2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: 1957 Bus Restoration Opinions Reply with quote

I have a 57 bus and I am in the process of lowering it 3-4" and adding a freeway flyer transmission with a 2017 or 2020cc engine.

Local guy gave me a price for the engine but didn't have a build sheet which i thought was weird since he took his time pricing it. I would think to price it right you would want a parts list to work from... I asked him twice for it but he finally said he will work on getting me one. Said it will have some nice chrome which i said no thanks..

Spending this much money i want it done right the first time

1. Local builder - When I asked if the engine had full flow he said no. Do you think i should do full flow?
I just thought this would be typical for this size of engine.

2. Should i just buy an engine from a reputable dealer that most people seem to recommend? CB Performance and Chico

3. IRS or straight axle? Talked to a couple of people and they said IRS wont make that much of a difference.
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Bus Restoration Opinions Reply with quote

1. Run, don’t walk. If he doesn’t think it needs full flow filtering you don’t want him building your engine. Even the completely stock 1600 single port I have in my single cab has the case tapped for full flow oil filtering.

2. Reputable builder definitely.

3. IRS, I’d say it makes it easier to get the rear tires on and off. One big plus is your bus will still have all 4 wheels under it if you need to remove the transaxle.

IRS made it possible for me to run these 16x8.5” wheels with 205/50-16 tires, ain’t gonna happen with swing axles.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by b-man on Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Bus Restoration Opinions Reply with quote

Yes!^^^ Cool
vwy2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Bus Restoration Opinions Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1957 Bus Restoration Opinions Reply with quote

vwy2k wrote:
Thanks for the replies.

An engine that large would need an external cooling system, too.
And a transmission built to handle it.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
vwy2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1957 Bus Restoration Opinions Reply with quote

Transmission will have welded gears and super dif
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: