Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia: What do you know about them?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AC Mack wrote:
Popcorn This is getting good !

The book I spent $125 on then posted the pics of (where most VW lit collectors wouldnt) wasnt good enough? Rolling Eyes

Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
El_Güero
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
notchboy wrote:
I also liked to see the rows of bikes showing employees would ride in, suggesting that a bunch if not all lived close by. Stark contrast to our McDonald's-commuting fat ass society now. I want to go back in time and work at Westfalia, ride my bike and have treats of fresh strudel Laughing

I think that many German companies have a rule, whereby employees, must live within a half-hour's commuting distance, of their place of employment. One of my local colleges, in South East essex, England, has a similar policy.

Dude, WTF happened to you???. You took like a 3 year dirt nap or something, flew undercover from 09´ till 12´ and came back???? Holly shit man!! some kind of VW guru you must be to come back to this place and still have the nerve to post about some bullshit german company rules, WHOA! Laughing ....

"Si quiero estar encabronado
hazte a un lado...cabrón!"
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

What an ugly campsite - I would hope its next to some kind of event?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This looks like a camp site next to a race track judging from the hay bales.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making the caravan accessible to the average man. Prior to WW2 a camper trailer was both expensive and heavy. If you could afford one, you better have a high powered car to pull it. Post WW2 light weight caravans made by Westfalia helped establish what we know as the norm today.

Then there is the whole "campmobile" thing that helped fuel people sense of adventure! Camp on the weekend, do my plumbing job during the week. Now the door to door sales man pimping his rack schlack could sleep in his bus, travel to the next town and so on!

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im passing this hard to find history book onto the next history buff - Most of the history I didnt share here. Several of you asked if I would sell it to you - here is your chance ; )

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1663626

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
el_safari
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Notchboy wrote
"What do you see at the end of this row?"
A Ford Transit ?? Cool
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia: What do you know about them? Reply with quote

Just asw this after all the years it was here. Anybody know where there is a westfalia sales flap trailer for sale
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia: What do you know about them? Reply with quote

splitpile wrote:
Just asw this after all the years it was here. Anybody know where there is a westfalia sales flap trailer for sale

When and if they pop up - I see them here.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/259975957415954/?ref=bookmarks

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El_Güero wrote:
NASkeet wrote:
notchboy wrote:
I also liked to see the rows of bikes showing employees would ride in, suggesting that a bunch if not all lived close by. Stark contrast to our McDonald's-commuting fat ass society now. I want to go back in time and work at Westfalia, ride my bike and have treats of fresh strudel Laughing

I think that many German companies have a rule, whereby employees, must live within a half-hour's commuting distance, of their place of employment. One of my local colleges, in South East essex, England, has a similar policy.

Dude, WTF happened to you???. You took like a 3 year dirt nap or something, flew undercover from 09´ till 12´ and came back???? Holly shit man!! some kind of VW guru you must be to come back to this place and still have the nerve to post about some bullshit german company rules, WHOA! Laughing ....

I didn't just disappear! For reasons that I have yet to fathom, the Essex Libraries' computer system completely blocked all access to The Samba forums for several years, although I could gain access to the archives and classified advertisements.

The reference to German company rules and indeed other company rules, was to highlight that they frown upon employees being late or excessively fatigued as a consequence of long-distance and/or long-duration commuting to and from home and their workplace.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

el_safari wrote:
Notchboy wrote
"What do you see at the end of this row?"
A Ford Transit ?? Cool

I used to drive a Ford Transit 1600 during the period July 1984 to January 1988, when I was employed in the R & D Laboratories, of Celcon Blocks Ltd (manufactured autoclaved aerated concrete building blocks).

The panel van was the property of the AACPA - Autoclaved Aerated Concrete Manufacturers Association, which was used exclusively as a mobile sound transmission test laboratory, at various housing developments, in different parts of the country.

I once had the interesting experience of driving this panel van on virgin snow at 60 mph (the vehicle's maximum speed limit | motorway maximum speed limit for cars & campervans was 70 mph), in the outermost offside lane (i.e. 3rd lane) of the M4 motorway, when ALL the other traffic was travelling at circa 40 mph, at minimal following distance, in the innermost nearside lane (i.e. 1st lane) on hard-packed snow. Very Happy

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia: What do you know about them? Reply with quote

Here is a cool pic Eric posted on Facebook.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia: What do you know about them? Reply with quote

Found some assembly line shots of the 125K's rolling off.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia: What do you know about them? Reply with quote

Another cool old Westfalia trailer brochure

Prospekt: Westfalia-Textil-Anhänger.
Westfalia-Werke Franz Knöbel & Söhne KG (Hrsg.):

Published by Wiedenbrück i. Westf., Westfalia-Werke Franz Knöbel & Söhne KG.

One for sale here: https://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=...p-_-author

Just a regular guy
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia: What do you know about them? Reply with quote

One of the cooler things for those of us that grew up in the states, is a completely different kind of Westfalia that we are used to.

For Bay owners, we have seen some of the slight odd ball camper options from Westfalia from time to time. Mostly Dormobile tops with Westfalia interiors and exterior colors. Maybe a Euro trailer hitch or Euro market tent. We even get to see true late model Helsinki floor plan versions that we popular in Europe but never offered here.

So its nice to see a Mosaic - special order Westfalia camper pop up. I found the pics below of a well kept 1976 Westfalia camper with odd ball combos not readily seen.

Pop top, sage green, orange interior, helsinki floor plan with a T4 for motivation.

Not your typical Berliner.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia: What do you know about them? Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
One of the cooler things for those of us that grew up in the states, is a completely different kind of Westfalia that we are used to.

For Bay owners, we have seen some of the slight odd ball camper options from Westfalia from time to time. Mostly Dormobile tops with Westfalia interiors and exterior colors. Maybe a Euro trailer hitch or Euro market tent. We even get to see true late model Helsinki floor plan versions that we popular in Europe but never offered here.

So its nice to see a Mosaic - special order Westfalia camper pop up. I found the pics below of a well kept 1976 Westfalia camper with odd ball combos not readily seen.

Pop top, sage green, orange interior, helsinki floor plan with a T4 for motivation.

Not your typical Berliner.

Very cool.... I like the layout, but wonder if I would tire of the non-walk through at some point... Think
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia: What do you know about them? Reply with quote

jlrftype7 - its still a walk through. THe portion in the way is the flip down cooker seen on the Helsiki floor plans. Maybe the pics below will better illustrate.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia: What do you know about them? Reply with quote

FUNK!!!!
That's so freaking awesome. I love that layout.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia: What do you know about them? Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
jlrftype7 - its still a walk through. THe portion in the way is the flip down cooker seen on the Helsiki floor plans. Maybe the pics below will better illustrate.

Ah, didn’t see that as a possibility in the first pictures... Cool
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia: What do you know about them? Reply with quote

Very cool. The orange on green is rather brilliant.

Just a regular guy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: