Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:17 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

I have a BN4 eberspacher I installed a few years ago that could never keep up with the drafty bus. So I re used that hole. It sits a little loose there but works good.The warm air comes up and hits me in the back of my head and warms the front of the bus. It's right at the same level as the heater on the floor.I'm on a tablet computer now and don't have access to photos or would include. The fuel tank is in the back closet and the fuel pump in the front one with the fuel line running outside and up to the heater.When I cut the holes for the intake & exhaust I made two separate holes just big enough to get the pipes through and didn't use any insulation if anyone is interested. Some photos...The top photo is when the BN4 eberspacher is installed. I can still use it. Just unplug the diesel and plug in the elec. connection at the same spot. i still have to change a few things like the bolts on the tank and I have a smaller tank.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Daverham wrote:
Y'all almost had me convinced to put it inside. I suppose I'm not really worried about the heater unit itself burning up at this point. But the noise of the fan is of great concern when sleeping. I have the perfect place to put it.... but there would be essentially no ducting on either side and I'm not into "jet engine" at all. I’m highly annoyed by such things - the sound of my fridge running (in my house) sometimes bugs me from the next room. So I need this to be as silent as possible, within reason.

I'm still a bit tempted to go with the factory(?)-designated Eberspacher engine compartment location, but that would essentially be right under my pillow. So again with the noise. Although that would be on the other side of the rear floor + insulation so maybe it's not quite so bad as unmitigated fan noise. This is my #2 at this point.

And I was also highly tempted to pop it right into the main duct line in place of the entire factory heat system, but my factory heater/defrosters actually work, so I would just hate to scrap that because I wasn’t willing to try a little harder.

So I have one last "other" idea before I commit: I cut the zip-ties that hold up the central heat duct and it was easy to push it over to the side a bit - and then re-attach it with a bit of a bend in it. Side note: my bus currently has a 3.5 inch accordion duct running up the middle between the cross-braces. I don’t know if that’s factory or if it should be a solid pipe. For all I know, I installed that duct myself 10 years ago. I have no idea. Regardless, with that out of the way there are a lot more options under the floor and I think I have a good place staked out a bit forward of center. By re-designing my mounting bracket, I can pull almost 3 inches off the ground clearance issue. It will involve a little more welding and drilling at my work bench, but I think it will be worth it.

I’ll likely be adding another $20 worth of steel to the cost tally tomorrow, for my new mounting bracket. Probably a hole saw too and eventually some ducting and clamps.

Oh, and to answer one question from a page or so back: I have just added an auxiliary battery. Partly for this and partly for house lights and accessory plugs (mostly phone chargers).

Mine is inside the bus under the water tank in the cabinet. Once it gets the interior up to temp, the speed slows down and you won't hear anything from the heater its self, even less if it's in the engine bay. The only noise you will hear will be the tick of the fuel pump (and this can be reduced and should be outside the bus anyway). You do want to recirculate the heated air or the unit will be working much harder to heat the air. Keep that in mind if you mount it outside. Also the electronics are not water resistant at all
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Some install picks

DIY mounting plate

Heat outlet running under the fridge

Propane tank converted into diesel tank

thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

[quote="captincanuck"]Some install picks

Good looking install. Regarding your LED controller. I purchased an identical controller separately for my 2kw. My question , does the backlight stay on after you shut your heater down like the older model controller. If not I was thinking of switching this out for the 5kw I have in my bus.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
captincanuck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

thomas. wrote:

Good looking install. Regarding your LED controller. I purchased an identical controller separately for my 2kw. My question , does the backlight stay on after you shut your heater down like the older model controller. If not I was thinking of switching this out for the 5kw I have in my bus.

Yes the back light on this control does shut off once the heater has completed it shut down cycle. Apparently the newer ones with round buttons and timer functions as well as the even newer ones with altitude correction do not shut off
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

You guys have been busy while I have been out in the garage!

I finally got all the fiddly little parts and just got the thing fired up for the first time. It works! Hot, dry, odorless air in the bus for the first time ever, with the engine running or not! With thermostat and timer control for camping, etc. This is the dream.

I have SO MUCH to report back about this process, parts, installation etc. And I have a lot of work I need to do (like real, paying work), so I'm going to keep this short for now. More info and photos later.

For now, some big-picture thoughts on the location:

• I installed the unit under the floor, outside. It’s tucked up between the main frame rails as high as it can go. It hangs down maybe 1 inch below the rails. That’s fine. In 10 years, I’ve never hit my frame on anything - and that was with a 2.5 inch lower job. My bus (lifted back up to stock height and with bigger tires is now a solid 3 inches higher than before). So I’m content that it will never strike the ground or even come close. So it’s just about dead center on the floor any way you measure it, maybe slightly forward of that.

• I had to stretch my factory heat duct a bit and curve it to the side to make room for this, it was no problem. I clamped it to a pipe which was in my bench vise, pulled it a bit and re-installed it. Easy to do and I didn’t have to disconnect or take-over my factory defrosters which still work great while driving.

• I was adamant about ducting the warm cabin air output into one of the factory floor vents (the one between the seat, behind the walkthrough). There’s a nice 2.5-inch-or-so hole in the forward lateral frame brace, so I wanted to use that to put my duct right through there and into the factory vent. Not a fan of having my ducting dip below the frame at all.

• Finally, the combustion intake and exhaust ports on these things are situated at a 90-degree relationship to the glow plug (which is supposed to be located at the top of the heater) so all these things together presented a real puzzle with regard to where on/in the bus to locate the bugger and left me with no real alternatives that didn’t have their own problems. Oh and I didn’t want it in the engine cabin due to noise while sleeping. That’s right under the bed! So that’s why it is where it is.

• I should add that - after finally hearing it run for the first time - it might not have been that bad in the engine compartment. It's not very loud. The air coming out of the vent is the loudest part (WHOOSH!), so that's inside the bus no matter what you do, and that's a comforting white-noise kind of sound to me. You can barely hear the unit/heater/fan itself. Maybe that's because I put it outside! But I bet that the factory location inside the engine bay would be OK as well, even for an OCD person like myself who can't stand noises when I'm sleeping.

I’m happy with the location. You can’t see it AT ALL - not any part of it - from outside the vehicle, unless you get down on your hands and knees and stick your head under there. And it checks all the boxes above. Done.

More about the little challenges and solutions later.

And I’m just going to repeat this pretty much all day long… if you are installing one of these things, I HIGHLY recommend joining the facebook group and reading up. There is a LOT going on in these little units. No matter where you put it, it’s going to be a custom job and there’s a lot of opportunity to do something that won’t work well with regard to temperature, angles, backpressure, overheating, fault-codes, etc etc etc. Save yourself the trouble and read up a bit first. The kit looks pretty staright forward: wires, pipes, ducts, etc. But there’s more going on than you might at first realize.

Also, I realize that the exhaust and the fresh-air intake are too close together here in this photo. I've already added a longer exhaust pipe to move that a couple feet further back - it just wasn't done yet for the photo.

That reminds me, one final thought about this before I get back to work: The hardest part of this was twofold: 1, figuring out where to put it and 2. Having to order or go pickup lots and lots of little parts from the hardware store, eBay and Amazon. The kit was complete, but to do it the way I did it you need more ducting, clamps, reducers, fittings, bolts, couplings, pieces of steel, etc. Lots of little stuff, running back and forth, ordering, waiting, etc. That's what made this take 3+ weeks. Only working on it 15 minutes at a time and then waiting 4 days for a chance to go get a bigger clamp...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Daverham wrote:

• I should add that - after finally hearing it run for the first time - it might not have been that bad in the engine compartment. It's not very loud. The air coming out of the vent is the loudest part (WHOOSH!), so that's inside the bus no matter what you do, and that's a comforting white-noise kind of sound to me. You can barely hear the unit/heater/fan itself. Maybe that's because I put it outside! But I bet that the factory location inside the engine bay would be OK as well, even for an OCD person like myself who can't stand noises when I'm sleeping.

Well, you can lead a horse to water........ Rolling Eyes Laughing

Some people just need to figure it out on their own. Glad you found a happy space. Wink

Keep warm Twisted Evil

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

sorry to say that chinese heaters almost have to be quieter than the BN4 rocket launcher VW mounted in the engine compartments.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
sorry to say that chinese heaters almost have to be quieter than the BN4 rocket launcher VW mounted in the engine compartments.

God, I would hope so.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Yesterday I took the bus out for a few errands, test the heater etc. Great. All good. It got damn HOT in there. I had to open the front fresh-air vent.

It wasn't raining, but the roads were wet from an earlier rain. When I got back home, I peeked under there and saw some water spray on the heater unit, ducts, all around.

The instructions that come with the heater kit specify that it shouldn't be splashed with water, so I made a splash pan. I had intended to do this anyway, but the test drive made it more urgent.

I had a big sheet of steel laying around, so made it out of that. It was pretty darn easy, cut it, bend it, weld on some screw tabs. Great. I'll paint/undercoat it some other time.

OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

For the LCD controllers that stay on full time... Will simply unplugging the controller keep it from slowly draining the battery? I have a second battery, but I have not installed the aux battery relay yet. I'm plugging the second battery into a trickle charger at night.
'65 Honda Dream
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Seems like that would do the trick. I also think it's a pretty minimal draw to power that tiny little console so you could probably just leave it on for a very long time without problems.

And there are also other controllers that you can get and interchange them, there's a knob-style one that would look good in an old bus.

I guess they have a sly little LED on the side that will blink error codes, etc. Pretty cool. I like the look a lot better than the big, light-up LCD console.

Check it out. Dirt cheap too:

I'm probably going to get one of those and I'm also going install a main/power shut-off toggle switch and just turn the whole thing off when I'm not using it.
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

I just came here to say that i've been using the heater for a few days now and I LOVE IT.

I love the wireless key-fob switch that lets you pre-heat your bus from inside the house (or from the bed in the back or from the camp fire....). I didn't really expect to use that but I'm already finding that it's very nice.

I also got a fancy-pants CO detector and have been monitoring that. No carbon monoxide from the parking heater! But when I turned on my factory defrosters it beeped and registered 22PPM. So I guess I have to fix an exhaust leak back there someplace. But that's another issue. The parking heater is not bringing any CO into the bus, sitting still or while driving. So that's good to know.

More installation details to follow, but for now, work is really busy...
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

I really like your set up on this. It looks like the way to go for me. Thanks for documenting it all here and at some point I will refer back and copy it.
(Still might haul a generator for occasional use this year though, feeling lazy I guess Very Happy ).
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

I feel like there must be some kind of module I could buy that I could send a text to from anywhere, that could then be used to turn the heater on. At least assuming the heater, somewhere in it's harness, has a simple "turn on" wire like my Espar does. I've even figured that I could probably attach such a device to the correct wire on my old BN4 or BA6 heaters and make them run, too.

But with all my googling abilities, the best I'm coming up with is pages on connecting smart phones to new car's interfaces and such.

Anyone know what on earth I'm talking about?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
I feel like there must be some kind of module I could buy that I could send a text to from anywhere, that could then be used to turn the heater on. At least assuming the heater, somewhere in it's harness, has a simple "turn on" wire like my Espar does. I've even figured that I could probably attach such a device to the correct wire on my old BN4 or BA6 heaters and make them run, too.

But with all my googling abilities, the best I'm coming up with is pages on connecting smart phones to new car's interfaces and such.

Rolling Eyes Laughing You are cracking me up. You put that on a BN4 or a BA6 and Ill disown you. Evil or Very Mad Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:

Rolling Eyes Laughing You are cracking me up. You put that on a BN4 or a BA6 and Ill disown you. Evil or Very Mad Cool

I figure it would be super easy with the Espar D2 installed in the '78, since there is that simple on wire that can be tapped into. But it does seem possible to do with the older models, with a little wiring harness magic.

I thought about this yesterday as I walked out of my office building to turn the BA6 on in the '73 and walked back in to let it warm up.

I also thought it would be nice to install a leisure battery in the '73 just to let the heater run off it, so I wouldn't have to worry about running the starting battery down at all.

But wouldn't it be nice to be able to text "start" or somesuch command to the unit, to have it start up the heater?

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:

But wouldn't it be nice to be able to text "start" or somesuch command to the unit, to have it start up the heater?

Yeah, its called a timer clock. Im living the dream! Wink Laughing

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:

Yeah, its called a timer clock. Im living the dream! Wink Laughing

Yup, I thought of that, too. But then you have to know for sure what time you're going to be leaving. With my job, that can change from day to day. Also, I rotate vehicles enough that who know which one I might randomly decide to drive from one morning to the next?

The timer clocks are, for sure, really cool though! I'd love to have one (or one for each Bus).

Do those things also only run the heater for about 15 minutes like the egg timer switch, or do they keep on going until you go out and start the Bus?

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Oh, yeah. Since I have my BA6 installed in the '73, I don't think the clock timer would match!

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 12

Jump to: