Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Official lazy person's stupid question thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Found the problem..

Doing the electrical diagnostic given in the manual is quick and easy and would have shown this kind of fault.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Found the problem.. For now, I put the old O2 sensor back in while I sort out what to do with this brand new one..

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

BTW, the Vanistan/RMW tri-y exhaust is AWESOME now.

-bobby

Guess the photo tells all, but to blind eyes what was the issue?

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

New O2 harness lead got pinched in a place I couldn't see, and melted the wire jackets. Sucks, since I had to loosen one of the bandclamps to free it. VC recommends that the bandclamps are a 1 time/placement item, as they take 75-80 ft pounds to properly bind the pipes together. Also sucks because the area bound by the clamp is supposed to have exhaust mud/paste, and now that needs to be cleaned up. Last, it sucks because I need to find a new (more realistically used) lead wire for the three wire sensor AND sort out weather or not the two white wires need to be on specific sides of the plug, AND solder them AND sort out weather there is a shield wire on the '86-'91 O2 sensors..

Sucks to be stupid..

-bobby
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Ain't nothing stupid about not knowing everything.

It's a burden Man, let me tell you. Wink Laughing Embarassed

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Just glad it was ONLY a ~$100 screw-up. The one from the old exhaust is fine for now. I will either find a harness lead to solder the new sensor on, or just send VC another order. I don't mind having done something, even if it was not quite right.. It is now, and that is what is best.

Plus, of course, the 'end game' of the new exhaust is really what this was about. I didn't bust a knuckle or pop a vein, so that is all just bonus Smile

Got to say, the blast of this exhaust feeling GOOD at 5500RPM is nothing compared to the sound Wink Thrill on Thrill!

I am guessing my next stupid lazy post will be "I blew my engine at 6200RPM" chasing a Sandy Blond Twisted Evil

-bobby
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

The signal wire looks like it could just be repaired with liquid electrical tape (or other) and the heater wires could just be spliced onto another plug.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
New O2 harness lead got pinched in a place I couldn't see, and melted the wire jackets. Sucks, since I had to loosen one of the bandclamps to free it. VC recommends that the bandclamps are a 1 time/placement item, as they take 75-80 ft pounds to properly bind the pipes together. Also sucks because the area bound by the clamp is supposed to have exhaust mud/paste, and now that needs to be cleaned up. Last, it sucks because I need to find a new (more realistically used) lead wire for the three wire sensor AND sort out weather or not the two white wires need to be on specific sides of the plug, AND solder them AND sort out weather there is a shield wire on the '86-'91 O2 sensors..

Sucks to be stupid..

-bobby

Just splice the wires, no polarity on the white heater wires. Retighten the band clamp. You might consider them one-time after a long time in use with many thermal cycles, but in this case you should be good to just retighten it.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
bobbyblack wrote:

Sucks to be stupid..

-bobby

Just splice the wires, no polarity on the white heater wires. Retighten the band clamp. You might consider them one-time after a long time in use with many thermal cycles, but in this case you should be good to just retighten it.

And the signal wire *should* be shielded. Shield grounded on one end only.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

There's no shielding on the signal wire from the sender itself because none is needed, that's why they don't come with any. The shielding is only needed on the signal wire inside the wiring harness, because it runs bundled closely and parallel to the injector power wires, which are an alternating current source. Only alternating currents, specifically the build-up and collapse of electromagnetic fields they cause, will induce current in nearby conductors (that's why there's no such thing as a DC transformer, and that's why we have an ac power grid). Cross-inductance is highest if the conductors run parallel, and is stronger the longer the parallel run is. So the injectors pulsing on and off will induce small alternating current in the O2 signal wire. Hence the shielding, which it already has.

If you ran the O2 signal wire outside of the bundle with a couple inches between, and avoided close parallel routing, no shielding would probably be needed.

Bobby doesn't need to do anything here except to do a clean splice job on the wire remnants, hook it up as normal, and retighten the exh. band clamp.

And don't worry, Bobby, the EFI won't let you over-rev the engine, use the full range of rpms and don't look back.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:

And don't worry, Bobby, the EFI won't let you over-rev the engine, use the full range of rpms and don't look back.

I may have just never tried to get the top end closer to redline.. Perhaps I've been babying this piggy far too long. Now the mid to top end is actually FUN! I find shifting by the sound of the new exhaust is a way better how-to than my previous method Smile It has a nice Voice on the top end of the RPMs Twisted Evil

Thanks Chris!!

-bobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I have not yet owned a Vanagon with electric locks. There is a part I want to find that I don't know the name of. On my EuroVan, there was a strike plate with 4 brass slots on the frame, and on the door there was a set of 4 pogo-stick like contactors that would slot in. I guess its possible that I remember the sides wrong, but you get the idea..

I assume that the Vanagon with power locks have something like that? I would like to see a picture, if anyone has one, and the name of the parts would be good to know as well.

Thanks

-bobby
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

you mean this ?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/85-91-VW-Vanagon-Westfali...3339033404
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
you mean this ?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/85-91-VW-Vanagon-Westfali...3339033404

Yes, looking for both sides. Not for use with the locks tho Wink [hope to present 'stupid human tricks' soon]

Thanks

-bobby
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
[hope to present 'stupid human tricks' soon]

Finally, I can contribute.

— Colin Chapman
ALstew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Which fuse goes to the ignition? My girlfriend lives in a decent neighborhood, but I have to park on the street. Hopefully this nevers happens, but if someone were to ever break-in I don't want them to be able to start the van. So I was thinking I could pull a couple fuses when I park and keep them in my pocket.

Thanks!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

ALstew wrote:
Which fuse goes to the ignition? My girlfriend lives in a decent neighborhood, but I have to park on the street. Hopefully this nevers happens, but if someone were to ever break-in I don't want them to be able to start the van. So I was thinking I could pull a couple fuses when I park and keep them in my pocket.

Thanks!

The ignition isn't fused.

There are several threads on ways to make you rig hard for someone else to figure out how to start.
VWeGoBeachNow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Hey ya'll!

I had my power steering bushing and outer tie rods replaced recently and took it in for an alignment today. I gave my local shop the Bentley specs and when it was done the read out said for 1988 Transporter half load.

The Bentley says from 1986 on, have a lower chassis height. For these vehicles use the "half-load" measurement as "empty" settings.

I do have the stock ride height and nothing really inside so is the half load - empty settings correct?

Much Thanks!
4spd
kiltedhiker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Hey Bobby. Is this the power lock connection your were looking for?

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

I'm certainly not Bobby, but that's certainly what he's talking about... Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Official lazy person's stupid question thread Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
ALstew wrote:

Thanks!

The ignition isn't fused.

There are several threads on ways to make you rig hard for someone else to figure out how to start.

A common solution for this is to add a kill switch that prevents any number of things required to start the van. Killing the fuel pump is popular.

Also common is installing a cell phone or gps tracking device. These vans do get stolen but 99% of the time they seem to be found w/in a few miles of their home.

Also, use the VanAlert app.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 75, 76, 77 ... 191, 192, 193  Next
Jump to:
Page 76 of 193

Jump to: