Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Which awning should I get? (something relatively inexpensive)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mg93108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Which awning should I get? (something relatively inexpensive) Reply with quote

Hi Sambamians

I'm looking for a more budget-minded awning option BUT I'd like one that doesn't need to be assembled to open. I would like one that is enclosed in a metal type case, as opposed to a bag
What are your suggestions?
Yes, the Fiammi's are very nice but VERY expensive and even the ARB's on GoWesty are still over $600 with shipping.
What do you think?
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Which awning should I get? (something relatively inexpensive) Reply with quote

I know it's not what you're asking but I am very unlikely to ever buy an awning that's not made by Jonce Fancher. 6.3 years of near-daily use and often in massive wind makes it an easy decision. About $300.

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Which awning should I get? (something relatively inexpensive) Reply with quote

Ummm. The criteria you listed excludes inexpensive. Be willing to assemble
an awning and the world is your oyster.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Which awning should I get? (something relatively inexpensive) Reply with quote

What’s your location? Shipping awnings is expensive. Mule Expedition Outfitters in Seattle and Portland sell some great options at their retail stores ready to pick-up.

There are also hundreds of posts with answers available in search. The Vanis13 has been the most intriguing to me but I love my ARB and am sticking with it (inexpensive, simple, easy to deploy, easy to repair after wind damage).

vanis13 wrote:
This is my $150 awning which I have liked which deploys in 39 seconds. 3 years and going strong.

Link

Search Results
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=555872

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/search.php?q=Vanagon%20awning

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Which awning should I get? (something relatively inexpensive) Reply with quote

ARB is a zippered cae is approx $335 @ GoWesty, the hard shell will cost and additional $170.

I think the 8' x 8' (2500 x 2500) ARB in a bag is the best bang for the buck - and this is coming from someone who shield out for the Fiamma.
Note they even sell replacement bags at less than $40.

Other options are DIY, BusDepot's awning and I guess there's others.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Which awning should I get? (something relatively inexpensive) Reply with quote

i second or 3rd or 4th the ARB awning, two down sides, it's an all or nothing deal, you can't open it part way, the second, it's not easy for some to deploy and put away on your own, while i can, i am much happier when i have help.
other than that it's awesome, also i have tarps cut to size, so i can add 2 walls to it, if necessary.
i WISH there was a 10' option.

619 201 0310
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Which awning should I get? (something relatively inexpensive) Reply with quote

ARB. I second the 10' option.

I paid $230 shipped for my ARB 2500x2500 awning. I'd highly recommend this awning. The Deluxe awning room is a sweet addition - especially with a blow up mattress for guests!
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Which awning should I get? (something relatively inexpensive) Reply with quote

Fancher's are 11x9.

So there. Wink Laughing

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Which awning should I get? (something relatively inexpensive) Reply with quote

Look for a used high end awning like a TransAwn 2000. If you can find one, they are now made by EezyAwn, but parts are still available if you need to repair it. I bought my TransAwn for $300 in 1987 and it's still going strong. The parts that get stressed are not made of plastic. BTW any awning will turn into trash if not staked down properly.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Which awning should I get? (something relatively inexpensive) Reply with quote

markswagen wrote:
i second or 3rd or 4th the ARB awning, two down sides, it's an all or nothing deal, you can't open it part way, the second, it's not easy for some to deploy and put away on your own, while i can, i am much happier when i have help.
other than that it's awesome, also i have tarps cut to size, so i can add 2 walls to it, if necessary.
i WISH there was a 10' option.

I talked to the factory about it and then started an inquiry on such on TheSamba. After the nitwit and rude responses, I shelved the idea.
Other forums that I inquired about the interest, were not negative at all, but there wasn’t enough traction for me to believe I could place a minimum order and then sell all of them. I did talk to at least one of the vendors about the idea.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7433318
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
mg93108
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Which awning should I get? (something relatively inexpensive) Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
I know it's not what you're asking but I am very unlikely to ever buy an awning that's not made by Jonce Fancher. 6.3 years of near-daily use and often in massive wind makes it an easy decision. About $300.

Thanks for your response. Do you have a link? I tried searching but can't seem to find anything
markswagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: Which awning should I get? (something relatively inexpensive) Reply with quote

that's cool, i don't have the budget for a new awning, my ARB was bought broken from a good friend Smile it took me 20 minutes to fix it, and here we are, the wife was VERY happy Very Happy i would have bought a new one if we hadn't stumbled across the broken one.

vanagonjr wrote:

I talked to the factory about it and then started an inquiry on such on TheSamba. After the nitwit and rude responses, I shelved the idea.
Other forums that I inquired about the interest, were not negative at all, but there wasn’t enough traction for me to believe I could place a minimum order and then sell all of them. I did talk to at least one of the vendors about the idea.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7433318

619 201 0310
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Which awning should I get? (something relatively inexpensive) Reply with quote

mg93108 wrote:
E1 wrote:

Thanks for your response. Do you have a link? I tried searching but can't seem to find anything

https://fanchers.com/shop?olsPage=t%2Fvolkswagen&page=1

I haven't seen an awning listed in a long while.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Which awning should I get? (something relatively inexpensive) Reply with quote

At the end of soccer season I bought two pop ups for $20

If one blows again high wind Ive got a spare
Scubavw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Which awning should I get? (something relatively inexpensive) Reply with quote

Shady Boy?
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Which awning should I get? (something relatively inexpensive) Reply with quote

mg93108 wrote:
E1 wrote:

Sorry to leave that off, and Thanks Kammy for posting it!

Yes, he's still making them, he did a second one for us last Spring. You can choose any color or pattern from the Sunbrella website, which is awesome if you care about color like we do. The material is ungodly tough, as is Jonce's stitching.

We had one minor failure once. If expecting a lot of rain it's best to pitch the awning for it. We didn't and woke up to the awning full of water. It's seven feet off the ground but the bottom was like three! It had to have hundreds of gallons of water in it and all that did was partly tear out one grommet. Jonce fixed it for like $5, if he charged anything. This was after about 600 days' being up.

They come standard with three grommets and poles. We had him install four extra grommets; two up front to use four poles, and two at the bus-side corners for erecting it separate from the van. You can set it up level, or peaked at the center, or in a V shape to shed rain in buckets (sometimes literally, to gather water).

The awning uses stakes from TheClaw.com. Each stakes uses three steel pegs, when pounded in the awning ain't going anywhere!

The only downside is you have to stake in to use, so cannot use on pavement. It's been extremely rare we've needed to, we like camping on dirt anyway.

Our first awning got over 1,200 days' use and is now a driver's side awning and blind. When half rolled down it covers the windows perfectly, or we stake to the ground at an angle for shade and/or storage.

— Colin Chapman
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Which awning should I get? (something relatively inexpensive) Reply with quote

Quote:
Note they even sell replacement bags at less than $40.

I dunno how well some of the higher-end companies do on that account, but lots of people have said how easy to was to replace broken stuff on their ARB's, with spare parts being readily available, and inexpensive if not free. You will probably break something at some point if you use the things much.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Which awning should I get? (something relatively inexpensive) Reply with quote

I truly encourage the OP to consider how much TIME costs. I had a conversation with a recent retiree who was not impressed with the ARB she bought. It landed solidly on her when I asked her how many half hours she wanted to afford to the awning each time. I mentioned the Vanis13 note on how little effort that one takes, and the 90 or so seconds to deploy and pack per camp.

Economy has more to do with perception than anything. You might think it is about dollars right now, but that might change to something completely different soon enough. Too soon for some.

I hope to run into her again some day and see what she came up with. Long May You Run, Gillian!

The Fiamma F45s at 11 foot 6 inches is, of course, the Cadillac.

-bobby
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Which awning should I get? (something relatively inexpensive) Reply with quote

Scubavw wrote:
Shady Boy?

We're very happy with ours. Just not brilliant in high winds or heavy rain - but we meet those rarely.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Which awning should I get? (something relatively inexpensive) Reply with quote

I'm another ARB fan and, like shagginwagon83, I got mine on sale through a non-VW vendor for around 250 shipped to my door. The PVC vinyl bag is tough that the ARB comes with, why do you want the metal case? I literally can't imagine a reason for needing it.
EDIT: Also,in very heavy rains, I was getting some run-off between my van and the awning. By flipping the bag inside out and towards the van, I fixed that. It acts as an extension that drains directly into the gutter.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: