Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Recommendations on weather band (NOAA) capable media receivers?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Recommendations on weather band (NOAA) capable media receivers? Reply with quote

I want to replace my media receiver with a similar one that has weather band capabilities (aka NOAA radio), does anybody have any recommendations that will fit and look nice in the Vanagon?

I'm currently using a cheap JVC media receiver unit in my van, and like the small form factor (no fitting issues) and the use of solid state storage (all my CDs are in MP3 now) - however, I'm planning to use my van to do more skiing with my family, and want to get accurate/up to date weather information for planning purposes (plus I love to hear the weather forecast as we drive).

Thanks in advance for any recommendations, I'm aware of the Custom Radio Corporation radios, and those are my only options so far (unless I'm not doing a good job searching in Amazon).

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
newerwesty1987
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on weather band (NOAA) capable media receivers? Reply with quote

Never heard anyone say "Media Receiver" before. Sounds like some kind of PC replacement word. Laughing

Anyway, look at the Jensen Heavy Duty line.

https://www.jensenheavyduty.com/jensen-am-fm-wb-us...-1198.html
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on weather band (NOAA) capable media receivers? Reply with quote

newerwesty1987 wrote:
Never heard anyone say "Media Receiver" before. Sounds like some kind of PC replacement word. Laughing

Anyway, look at the Jensen Heavy Duty line.

https://www.jensenheavyduty.com/jensen-am-fm-wb-us...-1198.html

I second that recommendation. Here's a look at the stereo I installed last year in my 1987 Syncro and another a few months ago in my 1989 Westy. It's a Jensen Heavy Duty JHD36A. They also have units without the CD player.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I definitely recommend this unit for Vanagons. Has 1980's vintage look and feel with clear display, large buttons, and retro CD player, but with modern features like Bluetooth music and phone connection, Aux and USB inputs and even NOAA Weather channels. It's made and marketed primarily for commercial vehicles like tractors, trucks, perhaps buses.

Get the optional JMICHFP Omnidirectional microphone (sold separately) so you can have hands-free phone calls through the unit. Some sellers sell this without the "pig-tail" wiring harness, but you'll need that. That is unless you have a John Deere tractor to install it in which has the right connector as part of the tractor's wiring!

The metal "V-shaped" bracket at the forward end of the Vanagon's radio space is somewhat in the way to let the unit fully insert and stay straight. I removed the one in my '89 Westy.

I didn't compare NOAA capabilities with other units, so not sure how these compare with others. I just note that it has the capability.

You can check it out at Crutchfield:
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_522JHD36A/Jensen-Heavy-Duty-JHD36A.html?skipvs=T

Crutchfield's model comes with the wiring harness, but you'll need to add the JMICHFP microphone separate.

Regards,
Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on weather band (NOAA) capable media receivers? Reply with quote

Thanks for the Jensen recommendation, not a fan of the look (too many colors for my taste, I think the Custom Radio looks better in a Vanagon) but will check it out nowadays.

What about marine radios? Are they 1-DIN sized similar to a Vanagon radio? It seems most of the hits I found regarding weather band are related to marine radios (even at Amazon).

nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on weather band (NOAA) capable media receivers? Reply with quote

I personally wouldn't pay $250 for a $100 amfm cd that adds a weather radio receiver.

I have had a vehicle scanner (needed for work) and a cb back in the day, both of which had wx channel receivers. some FRS do. Most GMRS radios do. Of course most small handheld scanners, FRS and GMRS do. The handhelds are about the size of a deck of cards and can use a veh power cord.

Marine radios aren't cheap. Also it's against federal law to operate them outside of the maritime environment.

Ham is cheaper and makes more sense. Some are as low as $30 (look for Baofeng). If you actually wanted to use the two way ham radio, the licensing test can be completed after an afternoon course now. If not, learn to program and use the radio to scan almost anything (including marine or WX).

What are your goals exactly? Have you tried a handheld scanner and think you need more for some reason? you can usually get a vehicle power cord for this and it'll clip almost anywhere.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on weather band (NOAA) capable media receivers? Reply with quote

Try Crutchfield and see if they still carry any WeatherBand radios.
Years ago BMWs came with them as standard on certain models.
My only beef is waiting for your local forecast while the automated voice gives you weather in every other place including Marine Conditions.... Cell service may have pushed the WB feature out of car radios once Smart Phones became so common.... Razz
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on weather band (NOAA) capable media receivers? Reply with quote

Quote:

Marine radios aren't cheap. Also it's against federal law to operate them outside of the maritime environment.

Indeed, not cheap.

You can receive WB anywhere with impunity. You may not transmit outside the marine environment, although the rules were relaxed for ship to shore recently
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on weather band (NOAA) capable media receivers? Reply with quote

Just as an aside - I am also a weather junkie and I also spend a lot of time outdoors adventuring and pay close attention to the weather. I know you mentioned the nostalgia of hearing the weather forecast and not only is that cool, I'm the kind of nerd who'd also appreciate it.

However. Any smart phone will give you far more information than that if the highest priority is weather awareness. For instance, when I drive and weather is in the area, I have my phone sitting there with active color radar on the screen using a free app. It literally shows the weather and I decide if we're going to stop for dinner, or if the front will cross the highway after us if we simply push on another hour to have dinner. Or if we're clearly going to get hit (possible hail), I'll decide to stop for dinner now until the front passes.

So, just another thought for you in assuaging your weather needs while driving. Having said that, the strategy backfired on me this summer as I allowed my son to drive us into a hellacious summer storm in a highly competent classic sports car just so he could learn about hydroplaning, etc. I got a little overconfident and the storm had severe damaging hail I did not expect. We took a beating, unfortunately.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on weather band (NOAA) capable media receivers? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:

However. Any smart phone will give you far more information than that if the highest priority is weather awareness. For instance, when I drive and weather is in the area, I have my phone sitting there with active color radar on the screen using a free app. It literally shows the weather and I decide if we're going to stop for dinner, or if the front will cross the highway after us if we simply push on another hour to have dinner. Or if we're clearly going to get hit (possible hail), I'll decide to stop for dinner now until the front passes.

Ditto on using the weather radar app's on the smartphone I use "Radar Express" as my go to app, but also have "My Radar" for the wind directions, (if you zoom out you can see the entire jetstream!) You can select which features to display as having the wind all the time can make it too overwhelming.

This is great to see on the live app as all the arrows are in motion. You can see how the storm cells suck the air into them. The snow storm over the Great Lakes looks just like a white hurricane.

Hail is my biggest concern and the radar apps give you time to find shelter if you check the radar during weather conditions. Also getting off the highway in heavy rain ahead 'cause people still think 80mph is safe to drive!
I have a "Custom Radio" and the older style looks ok plus the NOAA feature is great, but it is just an AM/FM radio and nothing special...I agree about paying $$$ for an AM/FM.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
mellowslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on weather band (NOAA) capable media receivers? Reply with quote

Since I’m not really having fun until cell service runs out, I sought the same type of receiver with NOAA capability but couldn’t come up with a unit to suit my musical needs Cool Laughing

The Cobra C75 WX ST fits in the glove box and provides audio output so it’s possible to plug right into my existing Alpine Mechless. Install needed it’s own antenna.
I can listen to Donna and Craig until the house battery goes flat. Very Happy
I admit to never having a CB radio conversation, but it is there.

[url] https://www.cobra.com/collections/recreational-cb-radios/products/c75wxst [/url]

Mine was a $50. Craigslist score from a retired RVer.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on weather band (NOAA) capable media receivers? Reply with quote

I needed the dashboard space for AC vents. This is a Clarion from the Marine industry. It has a remote head and has an optional remote control.

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on weather band (NOAA) capable media receivers? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
I needed the dashboard space for AC vents. This is a Clarion from the Marine industry. It has a remote head and has an optional remote control.

off Topic, but what's the Silver BMW on the floor, in the bay. Can't make out the badging...
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on weather band (NOAA) capable media receivers? Reply with quote

Thanks to all for your recommendations, to answer some of the questions/comments:

1 - I'm aware of the many weather apps for the iPhones (my wife is a weather junkie with a GIS background and we have tried - and kept - many different apps).

2 - I was looking for something similar (minus CD) to the stereo that my wife has on her Forester (that has weather band); that thing will work even if there's no cell signal like it happens many times in the middle of National Parks.

3 - I actually like very much the idea of the CB radio outputting weather band audio (that I could connect to my stereo ?), need to look at that more in detail (CB radio was also in my todo list for next year) - this might be the solution we end up with.

4 - Regarding the Cobra C 75 mentioned above, are there 2 different pieces of hardware with it (the mic and a base)? The pictures in the Cobra website seem to only show the mic portion (unless everything is together in the mic ?) - I'm not a CB radio expert.

5 - I was not aware of the limitations to using marine radios on the ground, that's weird (thanks for the heads-up).

6 - Finally, Doug nailed out the nostalgia of hearing the weather radio while driving, it brings memories of great road trips and put us in the right "adventure" frame of mind.

sped372
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on weather band (NOAA) capable media receivers? Reply with quote

I carry a handheld "police scanner" in the camper which I have the weather frequencies programmed into. As was mentioned, we're often out of cell coverage but I have yet to find a location that isn't covered by the weather bands. Might be another option to consider.
dschaftlein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on weather band (NOAA) capable media receivers? Reply with quote

The great thing about radio is that when you're out of cell range you can still get weather warnings, forecasts etc.

I carry a VHF/UHF handheld radio for communications and I use the weather band channels as well. Keep in mind that you may not be able to pick up weather band channels deep in the wilderness. I rarely can unless I'm near the coast or a city of some sort.

Danny
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on weather band (NOAA) capable media receivers? Reply with quote

Not my picture but it looks like one of my all time favorite Bimmers - the 635CSI. From that angle the 735 also has those delicate C pillars but I think its the beloved 6 Series coupe.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on weather band (NOAA) capable media receivers? Reply with quote

I had a then new Cobra CB with NOAA but wasn't impressed that it died an early death, (took a hit?). IMO, family service radios can do as good a job as a CB for caravanning etc. I liked the NOAA feature in the Cobra but when in camp, almost always used my Eton FR300. That Eton has suffered smoke, slight heat damage, dropped, etc. and I had to replace the dipole antenna but radio still works fine. It picks up FM stations well but the TV bands are useless like a viola solo. I often use it on FM at low levels inside the van.

The Baofeng UV5R also picks up FM broadcast stations but I wonder how well the stock "rubber ducky" antenna works for NOAA vs an adjustable expandable dipole? Unlike the typical UV5R, the FCC UV5R I purchased can't be programmed to pick up NOAA et al. There might be a work around using CHIRP but I kind of doubt it. Coming in from Canada to US, I carry an FCC rated VHF/UHF HT to avoid any potential hassles at border.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Merian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on weather band (NOAA) capable media receivers? Reply with quote

Doug, what highly competent classic sports car ??
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on weather band (NOAA) capable media receivers? Reply with quote

Ummm back to NOAA.....

Just so y’all know Whassup...

NOAA is an organization that’s basically “owned” by US citizens, we pay the salaries, pay for the satellites, the entire infrastructure. It benefits commerce, transportation, agriculture, aviation, marine, military. Its like our roads network, its basic infrastructure that “makes it all happen.“

There was a fellow from Accuweather who’s been trying to make NOAA stop giving out “free weather” cuz he’s in business to “sell weather”.
To us.
Which we’d buy if NOA wasn’t already in there providing it to us.
We pay for the whole shebang already and he wants to be able to sell weather info to the owners, info from our own equipment.

In October 2017, Barry Lee Myers, CEO of AccuWeather, was proposed to be the agency's administrator by the Trump Administration.
It didn’t happen.
Whew!!

Anyway, keep your eye on what’s ours, cuz the data you need for that NOAA radio came pretty close to being given away.

And there could be other weather issues of contention wherein the data NOAA can gather needs to be controlled a little tighter.

Sorry about that, I know nobody cares anymore......back to your regularly scheduled program.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations on weather band (NOAA) capable media receivers? Reply with quote

pnwkayaker wrote:
I was looking for something similar (minus CD) to the stereo that my wife has on her Forester (that has weather band); that thing will work even if there's no cell signal like it happens many times in the middle of National Parks.

You could no doubt buy the Subaru factory radio used and I'm sure it will fit a din slot.
Quote:
3 - I actually like very much the idea of the CB radio outputting weather band audio (that I could connect to my stereo ?), need to look at that more in detail (CB radio was also in my todo list for next year) - this might be the solution we end up with.
Not a bad solution and many offroader or back country types have CBs. One of the vagaries of this however is that CB radio (27ish MHZ) require a fairly long antenna to work well. Yes, their are the little ones available but they don't work for crap. There are other issues, like needing a solid ground to the body part being used (not always there) and a ground plane for the antenna (most antennas). Note this is generally true for all antennas but it really affects the CB more than it does short wavelengths like UHF.
Quote:
4 - Regarding the Cobra C 75 mentioned above, are there 2 different pieces of hardware with it (the mic and a base)? The pictures in the Cobra website seem to only show the mic portion (unless everything is together in the mic ?) - I'm not a CB radio expert.

https://www.cobra.com/products/c75wxst I suspect this is what you are talking about. I don't know anything about that particular radio but a hide-away in the HAM radio world has the controls on the mic like that, a separation kit (wiring) that allows you to hide the main radio itself under a seat or something and just have a mic on a long cord on your dash or whereever you mount it.

Believe it or not, your local Pilot Truck Stop or similar will likely have a decent deal on CBs and have a few to stock to see the options. Their pricing is generally pretty good too, especially if you catch them on sale like Black Friday.
Quote:
5 - I was not aware of the limitations to using marine radios on the ground, that's weird (thanks for the heads-up).
Yeah, in an emergency (basically means life or limb not I'm broken down and dont want to walk) you can use whatever frequency you have at hand. However, if you aren't near water w boats, no one's listening anyway.
Quote:
6 - Finally, Doug nailed out the nostalgia of hearing the weather radio while driving, it brings memories of great road trips and put us in the right "adventure" frame of mind.

I don't get that part myself. Struggling to imagine listening for more than a minute or two. It repeats every few minutes. The sound quality is generally irritating, even more than CB.

With any of the radios you can mount a remote speaker, remote speakers, or you could wire it into your vehicle speakers. The first option is much cheaper and less labor intensive.

To expand on the other options, FRS radio (it's like CB sort of but in UHF) or GMRS (similar, share some frequencies w FRS, better equipment and longer range but requires a govt license though most ignore it) often have Weather Band capabilities:

https://www.amazon.com/GXT1000VP4-Channel-GMRS-Two...X5J757SEST

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NB06WDI?aaxitk=AZLd0q...)&th=1

(Midland GXT1000 if the links break)

These handhelds ("walkie talkie") might give you comms around the camp site too. There are CB handhelds too, this one is neat:
https://www.buytwowayradios.com/midland-75-822.html

I generally find that more people have frs/gmrs than CB these days. A well setup CB has better range but damn near none are well setup up.

Or this vehicle mounted GMRS also has weather. The antenna sucks but a little sucky antenna outside the car is better than a little sucky antenna inside the care:

https://www.amazon.com/Midland-MicroMobile-Two-Way-Privacy-Weather/dp/B01NCR6ITQ/
(Midland Micromobile mxt115 if the links break)

How remote are you going to be? This works even if your battery is dead and can be a basecamp radio too. It charges (or charges your cell phone) with the crank on the side.

https://www.amazon.com/Midland-Channel-Emergency-Two-Way-Flashlight/dp/B000P0O12I/ (Midland XT-511 if the link breaks)

As I said earlier, vehicle charging cords and external speakers (on your dash?) are available on all of these.

If I were just wanting to hear weather radio, I'd go with the handheld FRS/ GMRS myself. One other issue is if you are evacuating an area for a hurricane, snow storm, forest fire whatever, those FRS/GMRS radios are easy to take with you no matter what vehicle you jump in.

Not I don't think poor antennas with bother your Weather Band reception. Those things broadcast with a bunch of power. I can usually hear multiple even with a small stub antenna on the cheapest radios. Poor antennas will affect your ability to transmit between your radio and others.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: