Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

saving Henry 77 westy barn find
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Running dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:32 pm    Post subject: saving Henry 77 westy barn find Reply with quote

My family and I are jumping into the deep end of this VW world as we are now owners of our second 77 westfalia in 4 months. Our first find was Olive that we picked up in August downstate. While we were very excited to restore Olive, and not necessarily looking for another bus, jetfxr69 found another 77 westy just minutes away from us on a Sunday morning last month.

Only cause it was minutes from where we live, and we like a family adventure, my girls and I headed out to find Henry. We didnt have an address, but because the area in the Craigslist ad is so remote, we just took a drive checking roads for him.

low and behold, as we drove the roads looking, we found him. We knew immediately that this HAD to be ours. we contacted the seller through email and decided we were not gonna leave until someone showed up as we were so concerned that someone else would find it.

jetfxr69 was out of town, but we started sending pics of our find with great joy. The magical yellow pail was the icing on the cake. The seller showed up about an hour later and an immediate cash deal was struck. Our seller just bought the property and didnt have a care in the world about an old beat up VW bus. lucky us! He just needed to clean up the property and wanted it gone. What a find for us!

Now olive and Henry are together.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Henry is in amazing condition and Olive has been adopted by our daughter. we have a snowy winter ahead to get some work done. We cant wait to have our own little parade through town next summer. looking forward to the advice and support from this community going forward, Ryan
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: saving Henry 77 westy barn find Reply with quote

That's one heckuva second find! Congratulations!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: saving Henry 77 westy barn find Reply with quote

happy and jealous at the same time. cheers

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: saving Henry 77 westy barn find Reply with quote

happy days, good luck with the pair of them and keep us posted on what youre doing with them Very Happy
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: saving Henry 77 westy barn find Reply with quote

Congrats and welcome! Great to have yet another NH Bus out there!
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: saving Henry 77 westy barn find Reply with quote

So - What is it with all these buses coming to life in New Hampshire?
It seems like every other thread is coming from Live Free or Die.
Did I miss a mass bus migration?

Makes me wonder why I left - and wonder if I should go back. (Holderness)
My bus is often lonely in the midst of Illinois.
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: saving Henry 77 westy barn find Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:
So - What is it with all these buses coming to life in New Hampshire?
It seems like every other thread is coming from Live Free or Die.
Did I miss a mass bus migration?

Makes me wonder why I left - and wonder if I should go back. (Holderness)
My bus is often lonely in the midst of Illinois.

Im shaking every branch and peaking behind every birch. I wouldnt have been so motivated getting Seamus back on the road had it not been for this site. Seeing and hearing others stories and pics is a huge motivator to get out on the road.

It only took two trips in Seamus last summer to bring Ryan and his girls into the fold. We are already talking about or travels and exploits next summer with our little caravan. Would love to throw together a very informal, unassociated, and carefree bus get together here in NH next year. I figure with just the few that chime in here regularly we could probably muster up close to a dozen.

For those in the area that are unaware, Jerry Jam in Bath, NH is set for July 17-19. Free entry for the weekend for bus “pilots”. Last year had about 120 busses on the farm.

It really has more to do with turning 50 and starting to kick my kids out of the house. Call it a mid-life crisis.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: saving Henry 77 westy barn find Reply with quote

Realized I have a connection to Navy Medicine for the young Bus lady in your house, jetfxr69
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: saving Henry 77 westy barn find Reply with quote

Welcome Ryan! Been following along second-hand through Jay, glad you joined us. You got some good deals, and with Jay to help out, you’ll be on the road in no time. Grew up in Whitefield, hoping to get over for a visit in near future. Keep us posted on progress.

Andrew - you know the NE type, we are kinda reserved until we start, then can’t stop us Smile.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: saving Henry 77 westy barn find Reply with quote

Ok, it's official. Poo Pails are "not" special anymore. Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: saving Henry 77 westy barn find Reply with quote

Quote:
For those in the area that are unaware, Jerry Jam in Bath, NH is set for July 17-19. Free entry for the weekend for bus “pilots”. Last year had about 120 busses on the farm.

Well ..... My sister moved to near Keene last year. Maybe a road trip is in order. I may need to recruit a driver for Big Emma. Regular Emma and Sven are in Mexico for the foreseeable future, and I am interim caretaker for Big Emma. Murphy and Big Emma are wonderful traveling buddies. So....maybe
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: saving Henry 77 westy barn find Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:

Oh I see now. Someone else is dipping into the poo-pail supply, and hereby lowering the value of your stash.

I love that a very innocuous ( trying to keep up my vernacular to Abscate), lame yellow, non-descript, molded pile of plastic, can bring such joy or despair, depending on wether you have or have not one, to us all.

Just for the record, I have not one. This one is Ryans. I intend to be the first to officially soil it however.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: saving Henry 77 westy barn find Reply with quote

Peek-a-boo! There it is again.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: saving Henry 77 westy barn find Reply with quote

andrewtf wrote:
Quote:

Well ..... My sister moved to near Keene last year. Maybe a road trip is in order. I may need to recruit a driver for Big Emma. Regular Emma and Sven are in Mexico for the foreseeable future, and I am interim caretaker for Big Emma. Murphy and Big Emma are wonderful traveling buddies. So....maybe

Well if you make the trip, I live about 20 miles across town from the venue, and my house is open to use. That goes out to anyone wanting to make a trip to the NH mountains this summer. We always have beer on tap and a place to park. Pork products are regularly consumed here, so if your easily offended, theres some motels and a Wal-Mart parking lot in town.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: saving Henry 77 westy barn find Reply with quote

poo pail aside, that's a nice interior!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: saving Henry 77 westy barn find Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Oh I see now. Someone else is dipping into the poo-pail supply, and hereby lowering the value of your stash.

I love that a very innocuous ( trying to keep up my vernacular to Abscate), lame yellow, non-descript, molded pile of plastic, can bring such joy or despair, depending on wether you have or have not one, to us all.

Just for the record, I have not one. This one is Ryans. I intend to be the first to officially soil it however.

Not talking

I think there needs to be an East Coast Chapter with the mass influx of new finds. Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: saving Henry 77 westy barn find Reply with quote

It’s painful thinking of piles of pails of poo. Piles, ouch.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: saving Henry 77 westy barn find Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
It’s painful thinking of piles of pails of poo. Piles, ouch.
at least over here, the poo will be frozen 5 months out of the year:)
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: saving Henry 77 westy barn find Reply with quote

Finally got a little work going on Henry today. Here is Ryan, looking for his cheesy poofs again.

He is quite content just camping in the shed up on blocks. Of course this time of year up here, there aint much else to do beside putting up firewood, or working on plow truck, or skiing, or riding, or ice fishing, or snow shoeing, but other that, there aint nothing to do. Might as well pull a motor out.

Never cranked it over, but did pull it through by hand and felt “some” compression on all four. Dont matter. Will be broke down to short block and cleaned up anyways.

Pulled fuel tank out...not too good. Shes a rough, scaley lookin one. Gonna do the home treatment on it and reinstall with all new rubbers.

Thanks to his wife, they got the interior cleaned up and man is it nice! OG carpet front and back, and in great shape. Cabinets all intact, and other than some edge trim that will get heat massaged back in place, mint. Benches and cushions and curtains all intact. Nice all the way around.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: saving Henry 77 westy barn find Reply with quote

Good to see more Bus Dudes popping up in the Granite State !!

This was my Driveway in 1990 or so, Boscowen N.H.:

Moved to Royalton Vt. in '95.
Good luck on getting that Westy rolling, seems like you have some good local help.
I'd be up for a Northern N.H. Bus gathering.....

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: