Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Off road modifications for your bus FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79 ... 90, 91, 92  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VOLTWAGEN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

dastransporter wrote:
VOLTWAGEN wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

that looks amazing. you aren't in the states so im not sure I can find those exact same wheels, but if I could - id totally copy you. I don't have any decent caps and my stock wheels are pitted and ugly.

Time to hit the yards for Merc's running 15's.

PM sent re where I got them from, you might be able to get them shipped to the US easy enough?, they cme from Germany to Australia for me.
VOLTWAGEN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Have put a freshly built 2L type 4 engine in with a 6 rib bellhousing/flywheel/clutch on a 5 rib box, all seems good, when sitting at 60kmph in 4th i'm at 2000rpm, still bedding in the new engine, will get higher speeds later.

I also updated the front seats with covers from Sewfine, got some spare plaid fabric to do the new bed when I get that sorted

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Does anybody know of published specs for a stock bus approach and departure angles?

Anybody measured their own?

Thanks,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Does anybody know of published specs for a stock bus approach and departure angles?

Thanks,
Robbie
The Syncro prototype with 16” wheels, muffler and from bumper raised 3” has 22.5 departure, 30.5 approach. I could measure mine tomorrow if interested in late bay #s
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

Thanks,
Robbie
The Syncro prototype with 16” wheels, muffler and from bumper raised 3” has 22.5 departure, 30.5 approach. I could measure mine tomorrow if interested in late bay #s

Yes please, if you don’t mind!
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Ok, did this twice with two different buses

1979 7 passenger with header, glass pak, 27” ATs, my front seats are 35# heavier than stock, each, plus my winch is another 45#, stuck 50# of rock salt up front to simulate 165# driver. Approach 27 (tow hooks and bumper hit at same time) departure 21.5 Measured with laser level, corrected for ground slope.

1979 7 passenger 49-state original-style exhaust, 25” (stock profile) tires, stock interior, 50# rock salt, 105# girlfriend +10# iron weight. Approach 25 (tow hook), depart 19.5 exhaust.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Is this approaching a 45 deg slope or something?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

It’s the maximum angle you can approach/ depart from flatland, units are degrees
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Like this, Jason.

ivwshane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

VOLTWAGEN wrote:
The new shoes are on Cool

They fitted perfectly, I only had to remove 2 bolts from the rear drums, which I believe hold the cover on before the wheel nuts are tightened

Looks good. I think the large, black, Brazilian mirrors would really set it off.
VOLTWAGEN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

ivwshane wrote:
VOLTWAGEN wrote:
The new shoes are on Cool

They fitted perfectly, I only had to remove 2 bolts from the rear drums, which I believe hold the cover on before the wheel nuts are tightened

Looks good. I think the large, black, Brazilian mirrors would really set it off.

Funnily enough, I've just been thinking the same, i've been looking at getting a set, only thing is they are made for LHD and i've got a RHD, will be looking into the design of them so see if I can make them work, even if I need to take them apart
Anchovy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Sharp looking bus. Those black framed windows look tough!
VOLTWAGEN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Anchovy wrote:
Sharp looking bus. Those black framed windows look tough!

They are, it was originally a panel van that was cut for windows, I felt it needed some proper support so the frames are pretty sturdy, sikaflexed on and screwed into wooden 1x1 battens behind.

The mesh is metal security mesh as well so I can leave the slider windows open when I leave the van and it doesn't turn into an oven, it's good for overnighting in the van as well.
pau79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

HastaAlaska wrote:
Don't you worry those 16s are going to be too big?

I fitted New 15" Steel wheels to my bus (mainly for better tire selection) I'm not sure I'd want to go much bigger than this after hearing some reports of people's wheels binding in the wheel well when on rough roads.

Campervan Culture bought up all the remaining MEFRO wheels (ET30) as they are NLA, supply is limited . https://campervanculture.com/shop/15-mefro-steel-wheels-set-of-5/

They bolt right onto the bus and the clearance looks good The tire is 205 / 70. Michelin Latitude Cross. not as beefy as the other ATs but better fuel economy and much better grip in the wet.

Hello, how do you drive the van with that measure? Does it keep enough space with the body? I have a set of mefro for my stock westy, and I have doubts about installing this measure or going a little bigger 215 / 75r15, regards
BIGSERG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

went with the Empi 911 15 inch wheels and 215/75R15 Ko2 all terrains.
im running Fox shocks too . so far its great , no rubbing during normal driving conditions. rubs when fully locked on turns but ill adjust the steering stop and deal with the turning radius . ride is way better then 195 size tires. in the back i got about an inch of gap between fender wall and tire.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOLTWAGEN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

BIGSERG wrote:
went with the Empi 911 15 inch wheels and 215/75R15 Ko2 all terrains.
im running Fox shocks too . so far its great , no rubbing during normal driving conditions. rubs when fully locked on turns but ill adjust the steering stop and deal with the turning radius . ride is way better then 195 size tires. in the back i got about an inch of gap between fender wall and tire.

Nice choice of tyres Cool Laughing Wink
simon_london
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Great thread!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

ImAddicted wrote:
Ok, did this twice with two different buses

1979 7 passenger with header, glass pak, 27” ATs, my front seats are 35# heavier than stock, each, plus my winch is another 45#, stuck 50# of rock salt up front to simulate 165# driver. Approach 27 (tow hooks and bumper hit at same time) departure 21.5 Measured with laser level, corrected for ground slope.

1979 7 passenger 49-state original-style exhaust, 25” (stock profile) tires, stock interior, 50# rock salt, 105# girlfriend +10# iron weight. Approach 25 (tow hook), depart 19.5 exhaust.

Thank you so much! Don’t know how I missed this before. I appreciate the measurements!
Robbie
Tom Clarke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Finally got round to doing what I’ve been meaning to do since owning my bus and fit some AT tyres. Went with the 27/3.50r14 maxxis big horns as they looked great on photos and were a reasonable price. Turned out really nice and has given my bus a lot more attitude. No lift kit, just a low mileage stock ride height van that I’ve built a tin top westy interior for.

Last edited by Tom Clarke on Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Off road modifications for your bus FAQ Reply with quote

Simple and sweet Cool Looks very nice.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79 ... 90, 91, 92  Next
Jump to:
Page 78 of 92

Jump to: