Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Exterior Film/Trim Repair Tactics
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmciii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Exterior Film/Trim Repair Tactics Reply with quote

Does anyone know a good way to repair this thin film of black trim around windows?

Peeling it away and then going back with PlastiDip come immediately to mind.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
matthewb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Exterior Film/Trim Repair Tactics Reply with quote

I had the same problem. I used a heat gun to help me remove the old vinyl and then sprayed with black plasti-dip. It came out looking pretty good, unless you were looking for it you wouldn't notice a difference.
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Exterior Film/Trim Repair Tactics Reply with quote

you Could just remove and leave it that way like I’ve done. I like it better.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Exterior Film/Trim Repair Tactics Reply with quote

@Joshwa I'd be interested what that looks like on your van.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Exterior Film/Trim Repair Tactics Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Exterior Film/Trim Repair Tactics Reply with quote

I'm sorry, all I see is an awesome bumper..... What are we supposed to be looking at again? Smile

Thanks Josh. I was wondering about doing the same thing on our white van. Perfect example for me!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jmciii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Exterior Film/Trim Repair Tactics Reply with quote

Yes. I am inspired. I want to do the same treatment with our silver.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Exterior Film/Trim Repair Tactics Reply with quote

@Joshwa Thanks for posting! Smile Appreciated!
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Exterior Film/Trim Repair Tactics Reply with quote

rcowan wrote:
I'm sorry, all I see is an awesome bumper..... What are we supposed to be looking at again? Smile

Thanks Josh. I was wondering about doing the same thing on our white van. Perfect example for me!

I'm loving the bumper.
Mr Brown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Exterior Film/Trim Repair Tactics Reply with quote

I bought new film from an Ebay seller in the UK, pretty close cut but needed some trimming. I took the middle window out to do it. Indistinguishable from the original. 4 years and still looks good. Hardest part was getting the old adhesive off.
postjosh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Exterior Film/Trim Repair Tactics Reply with quote

i've been removing the film on my '93. it's hell to get off. some of it just peels but most of it i've ground off with abrasive disks on a portable drill. then i go around the windows with a dremel grinding wheel. i recently bought a clothes steamer and will see if that works when i resume work in the spring. for now i just put some primer over the bare metal i'm eventually going to repaint probably two tone and i will use the alternating color on the lip around the windshield but will leave the window surrounds in the body color.
IdeaNerd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Exterior Film/Trim Repair Tactics Reply with quote

postjosh wrote:
i've been removing the film on my '93. it's hell to get off. some of it just peels but most of it i've ground off with abrasive disks on a portable drill. then i go around the windows with a dremel grinding wheel.

Did you use a heat gun, or just pull it off at ambient temperature?
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Exterior Film/Trim Repair Tactics Reply with quote

You should use a heat gun.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: