Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Flywheel serrations on shim surface
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Flywheel serrations on shim surface Reply with quote

Recently took apart an engine with a light flywheel and noticed these serrations on the flywheel. Just curious if this could be an intentional machining operation or maybe strange wear pattern.... the shims looked nice.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Also, it appears to have a GE logo in an oval stamped on it, but it almost looks like it could be a GB.... possibly Berg?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Flywheel serrations on shim surface Reply with quote

I’ve seen that before. Will help oil get behind the shims.
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Flywheel serrations on shim surface Reply with quote

Looks like someone needs to dress the stone on their flywheel grinder.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
jimmyhoffa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Flywheel serrations on shim surface Reply with quote

Look carefully... That GE is supposed to be a GB. I have a guess as to who's initials those are.
1974 Chenowth 2RL #1244 Street Legal
My other car isn't ridiculous.
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel serrations on shim surface Reply with quote

I built this engine about 25 years ago... I knew it had a light flywheel, but from memory I didn’t remember what kind it was. I figured the serrated surface was probably for oil. It’s kind of neat pulling apart an engine that you built so many years back.... found a couple of mistakes😳
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel serrations on shim surface Reply with quote

if it lasted 25 years I guess the mistakes were not that important Twisted Evil
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel serrations on shim surface Reply with quote

rugblaster wrote:
Looks like someone needs to dress the stone on their flywheel grinder.
ditto. it wont hurt that serface but may affect the clutch and burn the flywheel
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel serrations on shim surface Reply with quote

Well, I don’t plan on using that flywheel again anyway...didnt like it for a daily.
The engine ran really well and did what I needed it to do. The mistakes I found were piston ring gaps on two cylinders... one pistons gaps were lined up!
Also, I don’t think I spent enough time cleaning the case because there were some decent scratches on the main bearings.

I only took the engine out and apart because I switched the car back to 40hp stale air and 6volt. In effort to squirrel away the engine in boxes in my basement it all came apart... but it looks like it needed it anyway.
rockurob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel serrations on shim surface Reply with quote

Had to go out in my shop and look.....
I have a Gene Berg flywheel, has the same
machine marks, but not as prominent as yours.
Dug out one of my ol Gene Berg catalogues(mid 70s)
GB did not manufacture flywheels, but resurfaced/machined
genuine VW ones …. It described the swirl pattern

70 Baja Street Rod Project
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1644125.jpg
Drag Buggy project:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1726674.jpg
61 Rag Project:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1188580
anthracitedub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel serrations on shim surface Reply with quote

Cool, good to know 😁
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel serrations on shim surface Reply with quote

The piston rings could have just lined up over time, they move around on the piston. Crud in the bearings, after 25 years something's bound to shake loose, break off, or just plumb wear out

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: