Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

In all honesty,
Reading your list of goals makes me think you should go 100% stock.

Auto and smaller 1800 and all makes your build different than one than I would do.

My goal was always to make as much power for “high-speed” <—- quotation marks required Laughing running hard loaded heavy on the highway.
The exhaust works with the big valves and the big induction and the cam..

There are some downsides to this setup;
It’s a bit ‘lurchy’ at times; hard to drive gracefully at very low speeds.
This gets especially annoying in heavy traffic.
Big cams and heavy springs won’t last as long and have parasitic losses.

If it was stock carbs, 1800 and auto,
It would be worse, no doubt.

If you’re going stock induction, 1800ccs and auto trans,
I’d stay stock.
No shame in that.
Stock combo works great.
It will drive like an electric sewing machine.

Unless you plan specific modifications to your combo,
And test them,
And find this kind of thing fun,
Go with what will 100% for sure work great.

One ‘mod’ that I would always want on any motor, though, is a dynamic spin-balance job.. Wink

What’s That Noise?!?
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
One ‘mod’ that I would always want on any motor, though, is a dynamic spin-balance job.. Wink

Two thumbs up on that suggestion.

The gentleman who rebuilt my engine this summer had it balanced.
It's amazing how smoothly it idles, and has a different sound while running.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the input. It is much appreciated. Finally started to get to work taking it all apart. One of the things I didn’t measure during my build was side clearances for the rods. The two I could get to at the moment measured about .010 and .012. I know they are toward the high end of the spec range.

The pistons look a little scuffed after only 5000 miles.

Onward...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

This is getting fun...#4 piston. The circlip was in the hole on the opposite side of the piston.

I know I installed these correctly. Had the rods rebushed too...I’m not sure why this would happen...
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:

Looking at the way the honing marks are wiped out, I am going to say that you lost lubrication at some point. The cylinders on my old 1800 had barely wiped the honing marks at the top of the ring travel at 250K miles.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
orwell84 wrote:

Looking at the way the honing marks are wiped out, I am going to say that you lost lubrication at some point. The cylinders on my old 1800 had barely wiped the honing marks at the top of the ring travel at 250K miles.

I agree. I was thinking about the lowish oil pressure, but the loss of lubrication would be more significant than that...

This just isn’t working out...
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

Good thing you opened it up!

Keep going.

Every motor you build is an opportunity to do better.

What’s That Noise?!?
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

I was saying how the Chinese couldn’t even manufacture a good paperweight.

Looks like I have a bunch of good ones now...

Guess I will hitch up my depends and keep going...

It surprises me to find this kind of damage. Past engine failures have always been burned valves. I really beat on my engines years ago but never saw wiped hone marks or that kind of scoring.

This engine has always been run carefully, has never overheated. The oil pressure while on the low end has always been consistent.

I think these P & C’s are pretty much toast. Is there a decent alternative to AA for dished pistons and cylinders?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

Bet those P&L were tight..
FWIW I hone every set of those just to get them rounder.
Best to have them a bit on the loose side with a heavy bus.

Heads looked a bit leaky as well.
Was the case ever decked?

If you don’t have a place to get a case decked,
Might think of gluing the heads on..

What’s That Noise?!?
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

A handful of little items.

The sealing pattern between cylinders and heads....looks poor. It looks like the cylinders may not have been sitting level.

Was the case decked? Did you remove the head gaskets snd lap the cylinders flat snd then lap them to the head openings?

Also...looking at the areas where honing marks were heavily worn.....was it worse on one side of the cylinder than the other?

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

That circlip might have been put in ‘sharp side in’..?

Any chance you forgot to check orientation?

If the clip was in right,
Broken clips can mean crooked rods or crank..

What’s That Noise?!?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

Steve - (Clatter) do you have a honing machine like a CK-10 etc that you can use to get a straight stone on the cylinders? I have some that I am taking to be welded (broken fins) and I would like to find someone who has the ability to mount them into a CK-10 etc when done and make a couple passes to be sure they are straight. I no longer have access to one or someone who has one and is a good operator of it. It will also take a special plate made to hold the cylinder down. As to the cylinder in this thread that the snap ring failed, that gouge looks deep but one could hone it and see how deep it actually is.

orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:
Bet those P&L were tight..

FWIW I hone every set of those just to get them rounder.

Heads looked a bit leaky as well.
Was the case ever decked?

If you don’t have a place to get a case decked,
Might think of gluing the heads on..

The case has never been decked. I did a quick and dirty check with a straight edge rebuilding the second time. Rebuilt heads on the first build (with original p&l’s) were way more leaky in spite of lots of lapping. They are HAM heads and lapping wasn’t recommended, just coppercoat. The piston pins are really tight coming out. Resistance is at the piston pin bosses not the rod bushings. Ray, from memory the wiped hone marks seem to be uniform around the cylinder but I will take a closer look. There was also fretting on at least one of the cylinders. I know that’s the wrong word...It all felt tight going together compared to the old P&C’s. I didn’t measure...because with new parts you don’t have to dick around with that...Right? Wink

Having the case decked is on my list...if I can find a place to get it done. I think I would have the galley plugs done too. I was also wondering about the beat up oil pump flange. I saw an article where someone lapped it flat. I think it was Pelican. What would a machinist call this..decking a flange?

The 3/4 head is also leaky at the exhaust ports. When I switch to heater boxes I will have the pipe flanges machined flat and on the same plane...whatever that is called. I don’t think the big bastard file will do.

I know Len does case decking for his customers, though maybe just for more frequent customers. When I get further along in my disassembly, I may ask him nicely.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

Clatter wrote:

Uhhhh...I have never heard of there being a particular orientation for piston pin circlips...sharp side?!? Shit.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
Clatter wrote:

Uhhhh...I have never heard of there being a particular orientation for piston pin circlips...sharp side?!? Shit.

on a snapring / circlip there is a flat side with a 90 degree angle and a side that has a rounded corner. The side that is flat with the 90 degree faces the direction that is holding it in. You will want to have the rods checked to make sure none are bent. A bent rod can pound a circlip out. If you are able to save the piston and cylinders, someone with a Sunnen or equal rod hone can hone those pistons a few passes to clean them up where the pins slide in. Free floating piston pins should slide in with a tiny bit of resistance but not so much they have to be pounded on. Tapped with a rawhide or oak mallet maybe yes, pounded no. I like them to press in with my thumbs. On a captured rod - like a chevy or nissan where one heats the rod small end until it colors to fit the pin, the pin should slide freely in the piston.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

Thank you for explaining that. It’s likely I missed it, so it’s entirely possible. On my last rebuild, I had the machinist check the rods for straightness and both ends were balanced. I checked them too by stacking them with a piston pin through all 4.

Honestly, I would just replace the (AA) pistons and cylinders. I would put my time into measuring them properly. I might also consider using better quality rings. Giving even new ones a quick hone makes sense. Thinking back it all kind of tight and unfinished feel. I chalked it up to them being new. I have only ever handled used German stuff before that. I did wash them in soapy water more than once and really kept stuff clean during assembly.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

if one of the clips came out most likely it was not fully seated or over stretched putting it in. I push on them with the point of a small screwdriver to be sure that they are fully seated. Put them in correctly is important to. On more than one occasion a snap ring looked seated but it popped when pushed, showing it was not - or it goes so far into the groove one can see there is not enough tension on it. Since you checked the rods that isn't it. It may be since the pins were tight that you thought there was room for the snap ring but there wasn't. If the pin pushed it out you'll see the damage on the piston where the snap ring deformed the groove.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

Most common snap rings are stamped or punched. The side of the ring that was impacted by the die....gets its edges rolled or crowned very slightly. Also,common....if you inspect a few rings on a flat surface.....they can get very slightly crowned....meaning dished.

The "dishing" can be one of the larger issues. When pressure is applied....it can act a little like the wedge shape of a piston ring....but since its reversed.....it can drive force inward...collapsing the ring and allowing the crowned edge to slip past the ledge its seated on.
This is not usually an issue if the rolled edge gets placed toward the load....and the sharp flat edge against the ledge its wedged against.

In the piston pin usage...the sharp edge goes away from the pin.

There are also snap rings made that are not punched or stamped....that have a flat surfacd on both sides. They are called "constant section" retaining rings. Ray
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:

Funny, I was looking at one of those this AM, I don't think it's worth shipping to Canada and back for the job though, but if if you completely run out of options I think the guy has the skills required (awaiting results on a Datsun block).

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 engine rebuild: take 3 Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
Most common snap rings are stamped or punched. The side of the ring that was impacted by the die....gets its edges rolled or crowned very slightly. Also,common....if you inspect a few rings on a flat surface.....they can get very slightly crowned....meaning dished.

The "dishing" can be one of the larger issues. When pressure is applied....it can act a little like the wedge shape of a piston ring....but since its reversed.....it can drive force inward...collapsing the ring and allowing the crowned edge to slip past the ledge its seated on.
This is not usually an issue if the rolled edge gets placed toward the load....and the sharp flat edge against the ledge its wedged against.

In the piston pin usage...the sharp edge goes away from the pin.

There are also snap rings made that are not punched or stamped....that have a flat surfacd on both sides. They are called "constant section" retaining rings. Ray

Thank you, that’s good to know. Mine look flat, but I will have to take a closer look. I always have a miserable time getting them out. The circlip pliers I have always seem to distort or not stay straight or the pins break off. These are coming out ugly as I won’t be using these pistons and cylinders again. Can you recommend a supplier for the circlips and tool? It’s funny how the little things get you.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 37

Jump to: