Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stuck Throttle Flap Shaft
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Stuck Throttle Flap Shaft Reply with quote

On my 1970 Fastback, the throttle flap shaft (item 19 below) seems to be stuck, from corrosion or similar.
The shaft is held in place by several points where it passes through the alloy fan housing, and all contact points appear to be free except the one on the RH side end of the shaft. I am trying to soak it with WD 40 etc, am trying to twist the shaft with pliers etc, and have tried tapping the end of the shaft to try to free it, (noting fragility of alloy casing) so far all to no avail. My fan housing is still intact as I am trying to do this without having to remove the flywheel..........
Anyone any ideas on how to free a steel shaft that is inside an alloy sleeve. Dissimilar metals do not like each other !!
Page dumps below of the parts I am referring to, plus a photo of where my shaft is stuck, arrowed.......
Any input welcome.
Thanks, G
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Throttle Flap Shaft Reply with quote

Aha - It appears that item No 22 in the diagram is a bush, which would mean that the spindle sits in that bush, and not directly in the alloy. Is the bush brass ? Problem is still the same though - How to free up that shaft within the bush. Heat ? Ream out the bush ? Bigger hammer ?
G
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Throttle Flap Shaft Reply with quote

The bush is steel it think doesn't look like brass , I wouldn't use anything like a hammer or to much force on the shaft. Try something better than WD 40 and allow it to sit. If I recall there are 4 bushings 2 one either side of each flap . I oil mine once in a while.

Bob Notch has a photo or photo's of him getting the shaft out is photo bucket hasn't screwed them up.
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Throttle Flap Shaft Reply with quote

The bushings on all of the fan shrouds I've taken apart (more than a few) are brass (or bronze, to Bob's point) - they're an interference fit (for lack of a better description) and when the rod isn't in there - they come out pretty easily.

I'd use something like Fluid Film or a penetrating oil - there's likely a bunch of crap in there preventing the rod from turning.

Keep in mind that it only moves roughly 90º from 'flaps open' to 'flaps closed'.

If you can't get it to turn after soaking it - the fan shroud comes off fairly easily and it's not all that hard to get back on the engine with the engine in the car - it is significantly easier out of the car, IMO.

Last edited by ataraxia on Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr.Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck Throttle Flap Shaft Reply with quote

Have you removed the thermostat yet? (#5 in the diagram)

If you haven't removed that, you will have a hard time turning the flap shaft as its connected to that thermostat rod.

I see in your photo you have the upper cylinder head tin off on the 1/2 cylinder side. I just cant see if your thermostat is connected to the rest of that assembly.

Flaps look like they are in the closed position.

Red 1971 Squareback Thread
Red 1966 Beetle Thread
---------------------------------------------------
1971 Green Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Ghia (sold)
1971 Blue Super Beetle (sold)
1966 Java Green Std Beetle (sold)
1971 Red Squareback (sold)
1966 Red Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck Throttle Flap Shaft Reply with quote

Title should have read thermostat flaps stuck.
I too wonder if the thermostat has been removed to verify free movement of the linkage.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck Throttle Flap Shaft Reply with quote

If he can't move the rod side to side as there is a bit of play, that's all you need to tell if the rod is stuck and cannot rotate.

If it can't be freed up using penetrating oil it's not difficult to pull the fan haves out in the car. If it has the stock exhaust then that is the hard part.

If this is the owners car in the photo looks like the engine is already out .
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck Throttle Flap Shaft Reply with quote

Here's a link of me taking the flaps out. Toward the bottom of the page.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php...t_dir=DESC

I was mainly doing a reverse for the guy sitting there watching, so he could see how it all goes together.
I believe the bushings are bronze, but could be brass. IDK, I've slept since then. At the end of the rod, there should be a clip to disconnect it from the bell crank from the t-stat. Remove it, and the rod and flaps should move. The bell crank might be rusted in place keeping the flaps from moving. Just something to think about, and I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Throttle Flap Shaft Reply with quote

OK, together with advice from here, and help from a bottle of Eucalyptus oil and my wife's hairdryer, together with a gentle rocking motion of the shaft using vice grips on the spindle shaft, she eventually loosened up and, after lots of rusty yuk came out, is now free as a bird !! Perfecto.
Couple of points : The eucalyptus oil was suggested to me by my 4WD mechanic who suggested it when we couldn't undo one of my rear axle nuts a couple of weeks ago, and it worked then, and now has worked again, freeing rusty parts when other "lubricants" failed. I am now a believer in this stuff for freeing up rusty things. Smells better than WD 40 etc too !!
Yes, the engine was already out. I am on a total rebuild and the engine just came back from a total (big end outwards) rebuild - The guy just forgot I had asked him about that stuck spindle, and was most apologetic.
Yes, the thermostat was already out - In fact everything is off the engine - Just starting to put it all back together now. And I have tested the thermostat in hot water, and it expands and contracts perfectly.
And for anyone still wondering why I didn't take the outer fan housing off in order to help free up the thermostat flap shaft (apologies gt 1953 !, but on the manual copied above it does call it the "Throttle flap shaft" Wink ), I have limited facilities for undoing tight bolts etc, (and I am a weak old man !!) and since the engine has just been all put back together, I really didn't want to disturb things if I could possibly avoid it.
As far as the rest of the car is concerned, it is almost ready for putting back together, Panels all rust proofed on the inside and primed, roof the same (inside and out), all steering and front suspension, brakes etc refurbed and finished, fuel tank ready to be reinserted, gearbox and engine rebuilt, and I am now putting LH suspension back together - diagonal / lateral arm sandblasted and painted, new bushings all round, new dampers etc. The car (1970 fb) is actually in very rust free condition - just having the LH A pillar replaced as that was the only bit that was quite bad. The car appears to be very low mileage (40,000 miles ??) but has sat outside in the harsh Aussie sun and weather for many years, so despite being very rust free, everything had suffered - seats, carpets, roof lining, dashboard, were all falling apart (literally) so have all new from TMI sitting here ready to go in. Once rear suspension is back on, we put the engine back in, then she goes for painting (staying Clementine), then roof liner and upholstery. Plan is to be on the road by end of March at latest. Then?????? I am thinking of shipping her over to USA in a year or so and going back to Alaska (3rd time, 3rd different car !!) as that is where my heart lies. Smile Then maybe over to Newfoundland which IMHO is very close to Alaska in terms of scenery and friendly people ! Plus lots of good people and places in between !
I just love driving........................ Very Happy
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Throttle Flap Shaft Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to ypur pics, Bobnotch, excellent, and have bookmarked them. Pics of my rebuild can be found here. I should warn that these photos are from my personal blog, not just a rebuild blog, so you might find some other photos in there other than VW ones !! No apologies, just letting you know !!

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO_5maSJbtQnZ...05NmVKM09B

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOs9MMuzMVXO0...lUOHdWTVdR

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOcdvxxuGziO8...M1TklUc2JR
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Throttle Flap Shaft Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
And I have tested the thermostat in hot water, and it expands and contracts perfectly.

Did you test it while still in the bracket? I didn't for two of my thermostats....both those lasted a few weeks each as, what I believe to be, a direct result.

Glad you got the flaps free.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Throttle Flap Shaft Reply with quote

I think it was still in its bracket ????? Didn't take a photo !! But it is still out so can test it again before I put it back in. Do you know why that causes a problem ? Does it expand "too far" when it is out of its bracket, or something ?
G
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Throttle Flap Shaft Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
Does it expand "too far" when it is out of its bracket, or something ?
G

That's the theory anyways. It could also be coincidence that mine chose to fail after a month of use.

Funny thing 50 year old metal and fatigue.

I have no advice to give you other than know where you can get another one should you need it. There are used available and there is a fellow in the US that makes new ones, albeit, at a steep price.

All that said, off all the systems to fail, this one probably has about the least immediate impact.
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Throttle Flap Shaft Reply with quote

How do you know when it fails ? Kind of hard to see once everything is back together !!!
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck Throttle Flap Shaft Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
How do you know when it fails ? Kind of hard to see once everything is back together !!!

2 things:

-Someone here suggested that you put a slot in the end of the shaft that indicates the position of the flaps. I did this.

-You can see the thermostat from the back and underneath the engine. When could it should be retracted. If it is extended when cold then it has failed. Beauty of the system, it fails open.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck Throttle Flap Shaft Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
Qldelsie wrote:
Does it expand "too far" when it is out of its bracket, or something ?
G

That's the theory anyways. It could also be coincidence that mine chose to fail after a month of use.

Funny thing 50 year old metal and fatigue.

I have no advice to give you other than know where you can get another one should you need it. There are used available and there is a fellow in the US that makes new ones, albeit, at a steep price.

All that said, off all the systems to fail, this one probably has about the least immediate impact.

Yes, over expansion causes them to fail.

The older T-stats had a tendency to fail in the open position. However, the newer Mexican ones fail in the closed position. Just something to be aware of.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Stuck Throttle Flap Shaft Reply with quote

Qldelsie wrote:
Thanks for the link to ypur pics, Bobnotch, excellent, and have bookmarked them. Pics of my rebuild can be found here. I should warn that these photos are from my personal blog, not just a rebuild blog, so you might find some other photos in there other than VW ones !! No apologies, just letting you know !!

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipO_5maSJbtQnZ...05NmVKM09B

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOs9MMuzMVXO0...lUOHdWTVdR

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipOcdvxxuGziO8...M1TklUc2JR

Thanks for the links. I'll check them out later today.

My dad has been to Alaska 3 times in 3 different vehicles. Twice he drove up, and the last time took the ferry boat up. He loves it up there.
We were going to go to Newfoundland back when I was a kid (living on the east coast), but it was a 3 day wait in the parking lot for the ferry. We took a vote, and went to Nova Scotia instead. At the time we were already in PEI, and had been there 2 weeks already. So for us, it was time for a change in scenery. Wink
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Qldelsie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Stuck Throttle Flap Shaft Reply with quote

Yes, we took the ferry up to Alaska last time we went, mainly because I had already driven the other roads, and found the ferry FANTASTIC. (My sister lives 40 feet from the ferry terminal in Anacortes, so we started there). Having a Toyota Landcruiser camper, we just got off in each and every port, stayed 2-3 days to explore, then jumped back on the next ferry and on to the next stop ! Great camp spots everywhere, even in May. Only place we couldn't get the car out to was Sitka (no car space on ferry due to a big school basketball comp that week) so we just passengered it out to there for a few days and moteled it.

Notch in the end of the shaft to indicate flap position sounds a great solution. As for being stuck in the open position, that is where mine was stuck, but I have a feeling that the being stuck had nothing to do with the Thermostat, but more to do with the car just sitting around unused for an indeterminate number of years, and that RH bushing had just corroded and cemented the spindle in place. Currently trying to track down a previous owner to find out even a little bit about the car's history.

G
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: