Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trip Report: Wisconsin to California and back in a 40hp Beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report: Wisconsin to California and back in a 40hp Beetle Reply with quote

Yes it is. I am amazed at how well the Krylon has held up. I do wax the car about 3 times a year and polish it once a year. It sits outside spring, summer, and fall. Though the pictures don't show it, the paint is getting thin in quite a few places but for the $100 or so I spent back in 2010, I can't complain.
John P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Trip Report: Wisconsin to California and back in a 40hp Beetle Reply with quote

Tim,

I rarely post, but feel compelled to do so here due to the quality of your work. I thoroughly enjoyed your original California trip story, and am delighted to see a follow-up.

Your descriptive story telling and excellent photography is a rare treat, especially in our Insta-everything, social media world, where people don't have the "time" (attention span) to digest engrossing, long-form narrative.

Please continue to share your road trips in the '66. Few people take their VWs on journeys anymore, and the romance of the open road in an old car in your stories might inspire more to do so.

Bravo!

John
(Fellow vintage VW road trip and paper map fan)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report: Wisconsin to California and back in a 40hp Beetle Reply with quote

Thank you very much. Your reply means a lot, as writing and posting all this up was a big commitment, and its nice to hear people enjoy it. In May 2020 I will most likely be driving the VW out to Kansas and will try to document the trip.
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: Trip Report: Wisconsin to California and back in a 40hp Beetle Reply with quote

Most definitely keep posting about your trips, they are very fun to read and very much appreciated. I retire in three years and hope to contributing in the same manner. Right now I have to live vicariously through people like you.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report: Wisconsin to California and back in a 40hp Beetle Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliment. I hope you will write about your future adventures as well. My favorite threads on The Samba are the ones about people getting out and driving their VW's.
j buijs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report: Wisconsin to California and back in a 40hp Beetle Reply with quote

Tim, even in the Netherlands I have read your story with much pleasure. What a trip did you make and such a nice stories of what happened on and off the roads Very Happy
The amount of miles you have made this trip are unbelievable, here in Europa you should have visited most countries.. Laughing
Owning a 1966 beetle myself; It is a dream for us to make a trip like that
across the U.S.A. (Arizona, Nevada, California) but for now we must keep on dreaming and be happy with our camper trips through France, Italy and Spain.
I have enjoyed your story, it is very inspiring, thank you and I wish you many safe trips in the future.
Best regards from the Netherlands
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report: Wisconsin to California and back in a 40hp Beetle Reply with quote

I'm glad you liked the story. Yes the US is huge, and even with the amount of miles I covered, I didn't even cross two-thirds of its width. I can still remember a road trip we took to Arizona from our home in northeast Texas when I was about 10 years old. I was so frustrated that we had driven almost all day and were still in Texas. Safe travels to you in Europe as well.
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report: Wisconsin to California and back in a 40hp Beetle Reply with quote

supercub wrote:
Yes it is. I am amazed at how well the Krylon has held up. I do wax the car about 3 times a year and polish it once a year. It sits outside spring, summer, and fall. Though the pictures don't show it, the paint is getting thin in quite a few places but for the $100 or so I spent back in 2010, I can't complain.

That's krylon paint? That looks good for the age. Did you spray it or roll it?
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report: Wisconsin to California and back in a 40hp Beetle Reply with quote

Sprayed. I think it took about 20 cans of color and around 10 cans of primer. At the time they were only like $2.something per can at Walmart. Personally I think Rustoleum is a better paint, but Krylon has those nice spray tips with the fan pattern. Including the sandpaper, scuff pads and other prep materials there is probably between $150-$200 in that paint job.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report: Wisconsin to California and back in a 40hp Beetle Reply with quote

Tim,

I remember your other trip report a few years back. Thanks for sharing the story and pictures. It should make many owners realize that these (old) VW's can be reliable enough for a cross country road trip if they are repaired and serviced correctly.

I do have to say, you went big in crossing those mountains with that 40 HP motor! Not many hardcore VW folks would have taken on that challenge, including me!

For fun, the next cross country trip, you should take a "modern" early 70's VW with a dual port engine, 34-3 carb, etc.. Wink

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report: Wisconsin to California and back in a 40hp Beetle Reply with quote

Glad you liked it. That last trip back in 2013 was the first big trip I took in the VW and felt like much more of an adventure since I wasn't totally positive the car would make it. For a former junker pulled from a field and rebuilt, this VW has proven to be an amazing car. It's had a few minor breakdowns and hiccups over the years but overall I couldn't ask for a better old car. I do religiously keep up with all the maintenance so the car stays in solid mechanical shape. Part of the reason I posted these trip reports is to hopefully show fellow VW owners that it is still possible to drive these cars long distance. It always makes me happy when I see another old car, VW or not, out on the highway. I don't know if I'd feel right in a more powerful later bug. I like my pitiful little car.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report: Wisconsin to California and back in a 40hp Beetle Reply with quote

supercub wrote:
Glad you liked it. Part of the reason I posted these trip reports is to hopefully show fellow VW owners that it is still possible to drive these cars long distance. It always makes me happy when I see another old car, VW or not, out on the highway.

Absolutely and I couldn’t agree more, I did something similar but took a series of smaller day trips up and down Route 66. I wanted to show that you could drive the car and in my case drive a little fast. I’m pretty sure family constraints and time away from work make it near impossible for many here to embark on pleasure trip on the backroads so perhaps we should consider ourselves lucky having this luxury. Very Happy

But you know there’s something peaceful about cruising the backroads and pausing to check out the many curiosities. You captured some excellent photos. I wish more folks would share their driving exploits, it makes for good reading 😀
supercub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip Report: Wisconsin to California and back in a 40hp Beetle Reply with quote

I've actually read through your Route 66 thread a few times. It's good. Back when I lived in Kansas, I enjoyed searching out old bypassed sections of highway for fun. There were a lot of them out there. Yeah not having a family depending on me does open up a lot possibilities for trips and such.
I wont deny that I can be a distracted driver on the back roads. I usually do a decent amount of rubber-necking while scoping an abandoned building, an interesting tree, a hawk flying overhead or just a nice landscape as I bumble along.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: