Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
mikesfc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Anyone had any experience with these?

https://tiresize.com/tires/Falken/Wildpeak-AT-Trail-215-65R16.htm
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Anybody head of these? 205 75 14 98xl rating. I’m close to pulling the trigger, just seems awfully cheap. I don’t like cheap tires.

Thoughts?
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

care to share the link?

most 205/75/14 tires are trailer tires and no good for vehicular use.

CessnaJon wrote:
Anybody head of these? 205 75 14 98xl rating. I’m close to pulling the trigger, just seems awfully cheap. I don’t like cheap tires.

Thoughts?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/gt-radial-touring-vp-plus/p/31647

98XL rating.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

What difference does a couple of pounds of tire weight make?
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Nanking CP-9 Reply with quote

Anybody have experience with Nanking CP-9 215/65-16 XL 102?????

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

those are 205 70 14..
they're rated.. so then it's just down to quality and traction
@ $50ea shipped it's a viable 'roller' not sure I'd put them on my roadtrip van.

GT RADIAL
TOURING VP PLUS
205 /70 R14 98T XL BSW

CessnaJon wrote:
https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tires/gt-radial-touring-vp-plus/p/31647

98XL rating.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schuylersister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Been researching and think I have it narrowed down for tire replacement.
Please give me your opinions.

1990 2.1 WBX Vanagon Weekender with custom kitchen. Lighter then a Westy
camper. GoWesty 15 x 7 alloy rims, GoWesty progressive springs (no lift) but they lifted this van about 1-1/2".
I live in NW Ca. and travel gravel roads, curvy wet roads and also like to go off road occasionally but not too wild.

Running Nokian 205 70 R15 WR G3 with 30K miles on them. They have worn down evenly but now tread is too low. Looking at Nokian 205 70 R15 WR G4 or
Nokian WR C3. Also, 215 70 R15 Geolandars GO15. What do you think?

Is anyone out there runnig the Nokian WR C3?
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I'm going to try these 31x10.5x15 on my Syncro. Continental ContiCrossContact AT tires.

https://www.continental-tyres.in/car/tires/conticrosscontact-at

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by tjet on Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
Schuylersister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Nokian WR G3 205 70 R15 is 20 pounds and no longer available.
Nokian WR C3 205 70 R15 is 27 pounds and is available.

Does the weight difference matter a lot for a 2.1 Westy 2wd?
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

WRG3 has fewer plies than the C3 with a lower load rating as it is made for cars and CUVs rather than commercial vans. If you run a 2WD tin top it would be fine but a heavy van benefits from the stronger sidewall of the commercial van line.

That being said, the G3 has been replaced by the G4, which is supposed to be better in snow (I have been disappointed with the G3’s snow performance on my Subaru, I have the highway-looking asymmetric version [they made two tread versions]). The WRC3 was great in the snow for the first few years, best snow and ice traction I’d ever seen out of a non-dedicated snow tire. Dunno what sizes the G4 comes in.

Nokian is confusing as hell so just to help randos reading this, all tires mentioned in this post are “all weather” (Nokian’s take on all-season) tires with the 3PMSF symbol for real snow driving.
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I am running Nitto Crosstek-2 215/70R16 Load index: 104 Speed rating: T Ply rating: XL.
My Bus is a 1986 Westfalia full camper. So far I have been keeping the tire pressure at 35 psi in the front and 38 psi in the rear. The tires indicate the max psi is 50. Do any of you tire experts know if the psi I am running is correct? If not, what do you suggest? Thanks in advance.
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Here is a tire pressure calculation formula - but I can't find the original source.
[Original Tires Max Load Rating] * [Sticker's Recommended P.S.I.] / [Original Tires Max P.S.I.] * [New Tires Max P.S.I.] / [New Tires Max Load Rating]

You can also look here for general Vanagon tire spec info:
http://www.roadhaus.com/tires/guideline.html
http://oldbluesblog.com/files/VanagonTireSpecs.pdf

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

some reasonably cheap 15in snow tires..
2013 vintage if that matters.

4 New 215 70 15 Uniroyal Tiger Paw Ice & Snow II Winter Tires
$200 for 4shipped

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-New-215-70-15-Uniroyal-Tiger-Paw-Ice-Snow-II-Winter-Tires/143468626436

Quote:
Four (4) New 215/70R15 98S Uniroyal Tiger Paw Ice & Snow II Tires

Free Shipping

These tires are new, not blems, and have never been mounted. Please check fitment before you bid, and e-mail with any questions. These tires are 2013 production. If this concerns you at all, please do not purchase these tires. Tires will not be taken back due to age. By making a purchase, the buyer agrees to the production year listed in the item description.

1x = 4 tires

Free shipping for 4 tires and in the 48 Continental US States Only!

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

flomulgator wrote:

Nokian is confusing as hell so just to help randos reading this, all tires mentioned in this post are “all weather” (Nokian’s take on all-season) tires with the 3PMSF symbol for real snow driving.

Nokian can be confusing but I've found this product guide to be extremely helpful. They do make All-Season tires which are three-season tires (excluding winter). The All-Weather tires are siped for snow traction (and probably use different compound).

- Page 2 explains the difference between Winter, All-Weather and All-Season
- next are detailed descriptions for each model including sizes, weights, rotations per mile, load range etc.
- WRG4 pages 26-29, WRC3 pages 38-39, etc.
- the final pages include other details

Only after reading this did I get clear on some of the differences

https://dc602r66yb2n9.cloudfront.net/pub/web/attac...Spring.pdf

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
do make All-Season tires which are three-season tires (excluding winter). The All-Weather tires are siped for snow traction (and probably use different compound]

Weird, they call a 3-season tire an all-season tire going against established industry norms.

TireRack description:
Passenger All-Season
Longer treadwear plus a good ride and reasonable traction.

Branded with the M+S symbol and capable of providing year-round traction (even in light snow), the steering response and handling capabilities of Passenger All-Season tires won''t match that of performance or touring tires. Passenger All-Season tires emphasize good wear, a plush ride, and predictable handling.

LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
easybeaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I just bought 15" rims and I am shopping for tires. I was about to snap up some nice discounted Geolandars (215/70/R15) when I tire guy I know offered me an insane deal on some Kumho AT 215/75/R15. The wheel height on these is a bit taller than the Geolandars at 27.7". I am driving an '86 Weekender with stock suspension. It is not at all saggy, as far as I can tell. Am I going to have any clearance problems with these tires? Is anyone else running them?
Many Thanks,
Mike
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:44 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I think it's likely you would rub in the front upper wheel well when turning and entering driveways, and also making contact in the rear at the corner of the trailing arm.
It depends also on the et of the 15" wheels.

These would be almost a full inch greater diameter than the 215/70, which probably doesn't sound like a big difference but it is.

I ran 195/75/16 (27.5 ") and had to lift 1-1/2" to keep from rubbing up front, plus the rear had about 1/4" clearance from the arm.

You CAN make them fit, but I'd suggest a little research, maybe consult Christopher at t3technique.

Also, the difference in climbing will be harshly noticeable.

If you look in my gallery pics you can see how close they are to the fenders, and that is with the 1-1/2" lift.

Looked good though. Wink
Wouldn't really recommend it.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
easybeaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

The Wheels are the GoWesty Alloys, ET23. The General Grabber's are a 205/70 R15... and they are about .6" shorter, and a little narrower... do you think these would be significantly better? I've got about 16.25" from the lip of the fenders, front and back, to wheel center. Many Thanks,
Mike
Russpauly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

mikesfc wrote:
Anyone had any experience with these?

https://tiresize.com/tires/Falken/Wildpeak-AT-Trail-215-65R16.htm

I am also a bit interested in these as well. Some of the 16' specs below.

https://www.falkentire.com/tires/light-truck-suv-cuv-tires/wildpeak/t-trail-tire

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 40, 41, 42 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 41 of 57

Jump to: