Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eberspatcher B1LC in multivan
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Eberspatcher B1LC in multivan Reply with quote

Been on the fence for a while between a Propex, Espar, or cheap diesel heater. I decided on an Eberspatcher B1LC to stick with one fuel type . I bought my 2kw kit off ebay that was a dealer install option for John Deere gators. The heater was produced around 2012, and the new digital controllers are not compatible. After much deliberation, I found the best location to mount it for me was under the rear seat.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I wanted the controller easy to reach from the bed or from the open sliding door.

The 90 degree elbow exits straight out the front of the rear seat. I bought a rotatable vent duct for this, but it works so well as is I may leave it alone.
The switched power wire is run up to the original rear window defrost switch. This allows me to turn it on or off from the drivers seat, although I cannot adjust the thermostat. Looking for another defrost switch if anyone has a spare.
This is by far one of my favorite mods so far. The unit itself is very quiet. The exhaust is a bit loud it you are outside the van. I do not have a muffler.Some have mentioned that the fuel pump is loud, yet mine makes no noise at all. Fuel is delivered from a T at the fuel injection return line right by the tank.

Looking forward to some cold weather camping,
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marshj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspatcher B1LC in multivan Reply with quote

This is a great install.

Love the wiring to the defrost idea.

Roughly how many hours did the install take? Weighing options much like you did
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspatcher B1LC in multivan Reply with quote

Very nice. Will be interested to see how it performs at higher altitudes.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
jordauto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspatcher B1LC in multivan Reply with quote

That’s a nice clean install. I have had the same B1LC heater for a few years now and it does work very well. I chose it to have only one fuel as well since I didn’t want to mess with a separate diesel tank. You can use it with at least some of the newer digital controllers. I upgraded from the basic thermostat that it came with to a digital one. It shows the temperature inside the Westy all the time, and then when you start the heater and press the up or down buttons it will show your target temperature, and then go back to showing the current temperature. When it’s switched on it has a nice green backlight. It’s switched off in the picture. The benefits of this one are a digital thermostat so you can see your actual temperature and more importantly it can read out fault codes and reset them. The only function that isn’t compatible with this heater is the fan only setting. The only time I’ve had fault codes is when the glow screen gets heavily carbonned up after a couple of years of use. I don’t have the high altitude pump and frequently use it at around 6,000’ of elevation, which may lead to more carbon. Eberspacher says the glow screen should be an annual service but I just wait until it doesn’t light on the first go and sounds rough as it runs. Then it’s time for cleaning.

The thermostat is called an 801 series, and I got it on eBay a couple of years ago. I think I paid about $80.
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspatcher B1LC in multivan Reply with quote

Jordauto, thanks for the controller info.

The install took longer than expected. About a week of on and off tinkering. Most of the the time was spent planning where to cut holes and running the power wires to the aux battery and dash. I did have to solder in 5 feet of extension wires to the controller harness so it would reach the RH wall panel.

I’m really happy with it.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kguarnotta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspatcher B1LC in multivan Reply with quote

That controlled switch install looks great! Nice work.

'86 Triple Knob Syncro w/EJ22
'78 Westy
'69 Single Cab
'65 Kombi - EZ-Camper
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspatcher B1LC in multivan Reply with quote

Great to see someone doing this instead of bad ideas like mounting diesel tanks in fenderwells or closet space and the like. Laughing
I bought ten of these from the John Deere guy for future customer and friend installations, having had excellent service experience from past Espar/Eberspacher products. I already have one sold to a friend who wants her China diesel removed along with the kerosene tank in her closet (!!!).
The kit include a lot of extra parts that aren't needed. I think the slot vent included would be great to slip in under a fridge or rear seat, although the slot needs some expanding, as delivered it's too tight.
For the cost, hard to beat!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspatcher B1LC in multivan Reply with quote

Sweet! I looked into it and the B1LC has an output of 7,500 BTU. A Webasto Airtop 2000 (2k) has output of 6,830 BTUs!

I can't remember - but does this heater have an high altitude mode like the Webasto?
CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspatcher B1LC in multivan Reply with quote

So , I got back from a trip early this morning after flying all night. I was exhausted, so I cranked up the heater, made my bed, and hit the hay right there in the parking lot. When I awoke, the little B1LC had kept the Westy toasty with the thermostat set to 2. It had shut off automatically at some point, and the fan was just barely turning. Aux battery volts were still 12.5. I love this thing. Hopefully I can get away soon to the mountains and test it in some really cold weather.

One thing I did not mention before- I believe the small vent supplied with the JD kit is too small unless used in conjunction with a splitter. The Gator Install appears to not have room the recirculate air back to the heater, so the shroud has a hole to relieve some of the heated discharge air into the cavity the heater is mounted in. I sealed this hole for my install, so all air is ejected out the single 60 mm hole at the seat bulkhead. Check this site out for duct design consideration and ok kinds of other interesting reading.

https://www.letonkinoisvarnish.co.uk/eberspacher_control_1.html
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspatcher B1LC in multivan Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
Sweet! I looked into it and the B1LC has an output of 7,500 BTU. A Webasto Airtop 2000 (2k) has output of 6,830 BTUs!

I can't remember - but does this heater have an high altitude mode like the Webasto?

I emailed Eberspatcher and these units cannot accept a high altitude module. They are pretty basic. But maybe you can use the high altitude B4 pump instead?

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspatcher B1LC in multivan Reply with quote

Yes, the altitude pump is an option. I wouldn't recommend running both and switching, just use the altitude pump and live with the small amount of btu loss at lower elevation.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=619095
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspatcher B1LC in multivan Reply with quote

I'm thinking about getting one of these.

What's different about the kit vs the non-Gator version?

Thanks.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspatcher B1LC in multivan Reply with quote

izzydog wrote:
What's different about the kit vs the non-Gator version?

Thanks.

Money saved.
You get extra unneeded parts in the kit that were for that specific install.
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspatcher B1LC in multivan Reply with quote

I was hoping to hold out till after Christmas. I watched this auction for a while and all of a sudden they were selling fast! I pulled the trigger and got the second to last one remaining. Merry Christmas dear, it's a heater for the van! Wink
TopBud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspatcher B1LC in multivan Reply with quote

Can someone provide a link. I couldn't find one on ebay
Thanks
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspatcher B1LC in multivan Reply with quote

They're sold out, listings over. You could try Karl, he bought 10 of them.
thatbaldwinlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspatcher B1LC in multivan Reply with quote

dkoesyncro wrote:
I was hoping to hold out till after Christmas. I watched this auction for a while and all of a sudden they were selling fast! I pulled the trigger and got the second to last one remaining. Merry Christmas dear, it's a heater for the van! Wink

Haha! I got the third to last one available. They went fast with the extra 10% off eBay had yesterday.
nate
That Baldwin Life YouTube Channel
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspatcher B1LC in multivan Reply with quote

dkoesyncro wrote:
They're sold out, listings over. You could try Karl, he bought 10 of them.

I didn't buy them to resell, but to help out a few of my local friends who would like to use 'one fuel' in vans w/o propane. I might sell a couple but already sold two.
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Eberspatcher B1LC in multivan Reply with quote

I got one of the John Deere units. My plan is to mount it in a box behind the front passenger seat - up against the battery box wall on the floor.

Do I need to vent the box? Does the heater get too hot to live inside a closed box?
DLJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Eberspatcher B1LC in multivan Reply with quote

Hey Izzy, I have a propex mounted in a box behind my passenger seat. Does not ever get too hot. Maybe you've seen it at syncro fest. Dave
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: