Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Vanagon Spotters Thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 141, 142, 143 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

WA
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

Titian Red Syncro w/with hightop just past us on I-15 near Payson, Ut. It was Bob Stevens with his 3.0 V6 Subaru powered van from Salt Lake City.
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

I saw this Syncro at the beach in El Segundo during my runs (two consecutive weeks) about a month ago. As nice as they come, with all the bells and whistles. A Sambanista?

Oh, wait a sec. I just noticed after posting the photos that is also has the gas fill in the regular spot. May be the Syncro fill was one of those stickers????? WT?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

Neato!

Given the five utility ports on the driver's side all bets are off on what's going on there. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
levi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

Side marker lens close to the seam = 2 wd.

Side marker lens has a gap behind the seam = syncro.

Maybe he added gas tanks under the rails and added a 2wd filler port for that.
gonna see life my way

https://youtu.be/cSrL0BXsO40
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

Aux tank under the sliding door Looks good!
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Given the five utility ports on the driver's side all bets are off on what's going on there.

The usual three plus one for an external beer tap and one for the chocolate fountain?
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

Another thing I just noticed is the fold down steps. That must be for getting to the racks. That is a great solution. I'd been wondering about something because I found strapping surfboard on my rack hard to do once I got my awning in place.

How would you attach those in a way that will support my 165 pounds or more?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

That is otherwise known as "A Wicked Syncro"

llilibel03 wrote:
Another thing I just noticed is the fold down steps. That must be for getting to the racks.

I don't see the fold down steps you are referring to.
I see some tiny receptacles for the awning supports .

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:

llilibel03 wrote:
Another thing I just noticed is the fold down steps. That must be for getting to the racks.

You’re right. I guess the folding steps are my idea. Laughing I didn’t want to put a ladder on the side or have to pull out a step ladder. So how would you attach them to the sheet metal?
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

North tip of Maui, Honolua bay, from a lookout point called “surfs up” on the Google map. Two westies there.

Maui is almost like Seattle, probably seen 12 Vanagons in 24 hours.

We have a Jeep with a Tepui rooftop tent, camped on the beach.
Nobody there, only us.
Listed as a 4wd road, which was no exaggeration, an articulations test. I was amazed at the capability of this Jeep, it just walked through it barely spinning a tire.

Tepui works on this Jeep but they got nuthin’ on a Syncro Westy, camp-abilty wise... You can’t just pull over & make tea, or take a nap in the rain. That Tepui is a once-a-day endeavor. And 4 people in the Westfalia is way better than 4 in the Tepui. Wish we rented a Westy, but wanted to go to the top of Haleakala, and the Vanagon rentals won’t allow it (too steep). But one thing in its defense (aside from its 55k mi (young) host, the temperature was sweltering to a PNW family fresh outta winter and nice to have open windows on all 4 sides.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb

Last edited by Sodo on Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:42 pm; edited 2 times in total
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

Nice long range sniping. I wanted to rent a jeep in Maui but the gf said it was a waste of money. The "but when in Rome" thing didn't work. Actually I think the state car of hawaii is the tacoma.
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

Tacoma

WA
Bermoco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

Just saw a Syncro tin top climbing the grade on highway 1 southbound to Pacifica. The amazing part was it was doing 70 mph before it crested the grade When I caught up to it I noticed it had a 1.8 turbo badge on the back.

The grade is short but steep and it is a good test of performance. My Honda Civic seemed anemic compared to the Syncro. I thought about the hours I have spent reading about engine swaps and gear ratios but here was a real life demonstration of what a 1.8 can do. It brought a smile to my face.

I followed the van for a while and was hoping it would stop at the beach but it kept heading south. I noticed the license plate frame had Monterey Peninsula on it and figured it was heading home. Would have loved to check it out but did not want to follow it for 90 miles. Plus I did not want to be a "stalker"!
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:
Sodo wrote:

llilibel03 wrote:

You’re right. I guess the folding steps are my idea. Laughing I didn’t want to put a ladder on the side or have to pull out a step ladder. So how would you attach them to the sheet metal?

Steps. Deets in my build thread.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_keywords=Battle+jitney+step
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

theadventureneverends wrote:

WA

Interesting front solar panel mount with what looks like storage below. (That will crush mpgs though.) I did a study going to Florida three successive times and something that tall in the roof rack reduced my highway mpgs by 2mpg.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Love My Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:
theadventureneverends wrote:

WA

Interesting front solar panel mount with what looks like storage below. (That will crush mpgs though.) I did a study going to Florida three successive times and something that tall in the roof rack reduced my highway mpgs by 2mpg.

I would imagine it wouldn't effect mpg much more than that roof rack.
Viva.Sabata
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 1:25 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

To the French couple in the Syncro spotted yesterday in Shatti Al Qurum, Muscat, Oman! Nice chatting with you at the traffic light. If you’re need of any help pm me. I’m pretty well versed in VW powered Vanagons and would love to hear about your adventure to get here!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

Home built high top?

West Seattle, WA

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
theadventureneverends
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Have you SEEN ONE on the road lately? Spotters thread Reply with quote

WA
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 141, 142, 143 ... 167, 168, 169  Next
Jump to:
Page 142 of 169

Jump to: