Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1.8T ATW Swap at 50 Degrees w/Diesel pan Help! Oil Capacity?!
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
UtahGOgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: 1.8T ATW Swap at 50 Degrees w/Diesel pan Help! Oil Capacity?! Reply with quote

Hey there! I'm in the depths of fitting a 1.8t ATW from a 2000 Passat into our '90 tin top. I've done one of these swaps before and enjoyed it a lot! It was a fantastic learning experience full of several hurtles and challenges. My goal is to do an even better job this time around and to use diesel components.

My question is this- how much oil should I put in?? I've got it in there at 50 degrees with the diesel bell housing, I switched the pickup tube for the diesel one and put the diesel oil pan on there too. So here it sits- but the dip stick is toward the side that's been tilted up more so I'm worried that it's not going to read anything at all.... I've put 5 quarts into her already and nothing has shown up on the stick. I'm using the stock filter and should be around 3.8 quarts for the 1.8t, but then the diesel 1.9 took around 4.8 quarts.... is that at all due to the pan being a bit bigger? Is it even bigger?! I'm worried now that even 5 quarts is just a bit too much. I've searched for days without any luck.

Any thoughts would be extremely appreciated!! Very Happy
'78 Transporter Moon Roof Camper Conversion
'78 Westy Restoration
'85 Westy 1.8T AEB 50* w/adapter plate
'87 Syncro 2.1 WBX
'91 1.8T ATW 50* w/diesel components
Currently enjoying:
'97 Eurovan Winnebago
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T ATW Swap at 50 Degrees w/Diesel pan Help! Oil Capacity?! Reply with quote

Assuming you're sitting at 50 degrees and not on a fore/aft incline, then the stock diesel oil amounts should be your baseline. It's a finite space you're trying to fill, and I don't think you've altered anything to change the original volume specs.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
UtahGOgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T ATW Swap at 50 Degrees w/Diesel pan Help! Oil Capacity?! Reply with quote

Thank you!! I guess I'll drain a little to hit the 4.8 quarts and make a dipstick once the van's at level and off jack stands. I appreciate it! Hopefully will have this thing running soon Smile
'78 Transporter Moon Roof Camper Conversion
'78 Westy Restoration
'85 Westy 1.8T AEB 50* w/adapter plate
'87 Syncro 2.1 WBX
'91 1.8T ATW 50* w/diesel components
Currently enjoying:
'97 Eurovan Winnebago
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.8T ATW Swap at 50 Degrees w/Diesel pan Help! Oil Capacity?! Reply with quote

Yeah, unless you've done something to alter the overall oil capacity -- like a massive filter or an external oil cooler with hoses -- then the stock specs for the diesel Vanagon engine should be fine, at least as a baseline. The turbo and it's oil lines don't hold much at all.

Make sure the return line is a smooth downward shot to the pan, you don't want oil backing up into the turbo...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: