Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Replacing all the hard brake lines. Requesting Advice.
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
delibessleep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Replacing all the hard brake lines. Requesting Advice. Reply with quote

Hello.

I have a 1963 Single cab with the stock single circuit master cylinder and drum brakes.

I am in the process of restoring, and intend to upgrade to a dual circuit master cylinder with disks up front.

As part of the work, I will install all new hard brake lines and unions.

Question: Would it make sense to install a later model brake line solution to better accommodate the dual circuit master cylinder, or to stick with the original brake line solution for the 63?

Thanks. Ray

Biology is destiny...choose your mutations carefully
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing all the hard brake lines. Requesting Advice. Reply with quote

I hope this helps: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Here is my install. I went with Wagenswest Babystang discs: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=60
b-man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing all the hard brake lines. Requesting Advice. Reply with quote

I’ve converted both of my Type IIs to dual circuit masters. I used all the original factory lines on my ‘66 single cab pickup which were all in perfect shape and went to a ‘67 dual master. Sent both spindles to the Bus Boys where they welded caliper brackets to them and rebuilt them. 1971 bay window discs and calipers bolted right on, all this work was done in 1989 when you really didn’t have many options for front disc brakes on early buses.

On my ‘56 I used a bay window dual master and replaced every single hard line on it using a standard kit from WW, the lines come straight and you hand bend each one during the installation. I kept drum brakes all around, but I did install a ‘66 front beam and big nut transaxle and gained the added stopping ability of the larger and improved ‘66 brakes.

The stock lines work perfectly.

Build threads for reference:

1966 single cab https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=723862&highlight=

1956 panel https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=698322&highlight=
delibessleep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing all the hard brake lines. Requesting Advice. Reply with quote

Quote:
I hope this helps: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Here is my install. I went with Wagenswest Babystang discs: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=60

Thank you for the link to the earlier thread. I probably should have looked a little harder, but when I put "hard lines" in the search engine I got over 1000 hits!

How do you like the Babystang discs? I was thinking of going with the CSP kit myself, but I am open for suggestions.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
delibessleep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing all the hard brake lines. Requesting Advice. Reply with quote

Quote:
I’ve converted both of my Type IIs to dual circuit masters. I used all the original factory lines on my ‘66 single cab pickup which were all in perfect shape and went to a ‘67 dual master. Sent both spindles to the Bus Boys where they welded caliper brackets to them and rebuilt them. 1971 bay window discs and calipers bolted right on, all this work was done in 1989 when you really didn’t have many options for front disc brakes on early buses.

On my ‘56 I used a bay window dual master and replaced every single hard line on it using a standard kit from WW, the lines come straight and you hand bend each one during the installation. I kept drum brakes all around, but I did install a ‘66 front beam and big nut transaxle and gained the added stopping ability of the larger and improved ‘66 brakes.

The stock lines work perfectly.

Build threads for reference:

1966 single cab https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=723862&highlight=

1956 panel https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=698322&highlight=

Thanks for the links. I intended to pick up the WW hard line kit, and thought perhaps getting the later year variety might save me some effort...perhaps not. Your shots from the 56 panel cover the master cylinder install nicely.

This SC of mine has been off the road for nearly 10 years. I need to replace both cross members, and as you know, the line front to rear passes through them. Doesn't make sense to go to all the trouble of rebuilding / restoring this truck and not put new hard lines in, especially since they're relatively cheap.

Thanks again.

Ray

nineteensixtyfiveVG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing all the hard brake lines. Requesting Advice. Reply with quote

I have a 65 that came with stock single. I replaced the front drums with the csp kit. I bought the 67 brake line kit and it worked perfectly.
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing all the hard brake lines. Requesting Advice. Reply with quote

On my 65 I changed to the 67 setup. Stock 67 master cylinder. I bought 5m of hard brake line and a flaring tool to make the correct f-flare.

If you use an earlier set you will be missing the 160mm piece which goes from the maser cylinder to the t-junction for the front brakes. Otherwise you can make it fit.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing all the hard brake lines. Requesting Advice. Reply with quote

When I converted to the dual brake system I replaced the lines in the front drums that connect the two cylinders with stainless steel lines.

Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
delibessleep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing all the hard brake lines. Requesting Advice. Reply with quote

Quote:
On my 65 I changed to the 67 setup. Stock 67 master cylinder. I bought 5m of hard brake line and a flaring tool to make the correct f-flare.

If you use an earlier set you will be missing the 160mm piece which goes from the maser cylinder to the t-junction for the front brakes. Otherwise you can make it fit

Yes, this was my thought...that I would be short at least one hard line (between the 63 and the 67 kits.) I had a look at the links provided earlier, and it looks like a second "T" fitting is used up front to mimic the standard rear solution. It included a nice photo of this splitter location near the MC. This makes sense. I will likely buy the 67 kit since the 67 had a DCMC. It should come with the correct count of hard lines.

Mile High Puma
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing all the hard brake lines. Requesting Advice. Reply with quote

Do a gallery search for “67 brake line kit” if you want to see some pics, did this on my 65 a while back. Just had to mount another brake line tee up front.
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing all the hard brake lines. Requesting Advice. Reply with quote

The copper nickle line is easy to work with and flare, more so then the SS, if you are not working from a kit, you will need the flare tool however.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing all the hard brake lines. Requesting Advice. Reply with quote

It all depends on the type of MC you'll be using and whether it has single or dual outputs for the front wheels. Show us a pic of the MC and we'll help you plumb it. I've done several brake upgrades and have lots of good pictures. What brand disc kit- AC Industries by chance with MC?
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Replacing all the hard brake lines. Requesting Advice. Reply with quote

Babystangs are very good, but the pedal effort is up there. I never drove my bus with drums, so I have nothing to compare with. Some have switched to a different brake pad compound to help.
delibessleep
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Replacing all the hard brake lines. Requesting Advice. Reply with quote

Quote:
It all depends on the type of MC you'll be using and whether it has single or dual outputs for the front wheels. Show us a pic of the MC and we'll help you plumb it. I've done several brake upgrades and have lots of good pictures. What brand disc kit- AC Industries by chance with MC?

Hi, I plan to use a German (ATE / CSP) 22.6 MM Dual Circuit MC as designed for a 71 and up Bus without a brake booster. I do not intend to replace the rear drums with disks. I will be using a stock 63 gearbox with the RGBs.

I think installing a simple T-line for the front will work just fine. As for the disk brake kit, I am leaning heavily to the CSP unit.

I will likely pick up the 67 bus hard line kit...should come with the extra brake line section.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: