Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

670,000 miles on 1985 Westy Odometer
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: 670,000 miles on 1985 Westy Odometer Reply with quote

SyncroHead wrote:
jimf909 wrote:
My ‘85 and ‘90 had 7 digit million mile odometers, e.g. 999,999.9 miles before returning to 0 so I’m guessing that’s typical for US spec vans.

I think your recollection might be off. All the Vanagon odometers I've seen (US spec versions) have had only 6 whole digits in the continuous odometer.
Capable of 999,999 before rolling over.
The reset-able trip-ometer has 4 digits including the red-on-white tenths digit. Capable of 999.9 miles before rolling over.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jim

Duh! You are (100.0%) correct. Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
mwcycles
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: 670,000 miles on 1985 Westy Odometer Reply with quote

In Europe, we also have 6 digits, but the last one counts every 100m... and as my dad forgot to order the optional trip odometer, I don't have it!
I agree this van doesn't look too bad, ezspecially for this mileage.
JackConner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 670,000 miles on 1985 Westy Odometer Reply with quote

Eric_Taylor wrote:
I looked and i'm not seeing the answer to this, but what is the asking price for this van and have you already purchased it? For the right price, I'd definitely buy this van. Personally, I would either do a used motor or this would be a great place to start with a motor conversion if that interests you. In a lot of ways the conversion route makes sense because you are swapping the whole fuel injection and ignition systems. That gets rid of a lot of the problems that come from such high mileage on these vintage parts.

Hard to say, but at the right price, I think this would be a fun and great project to tackle!

I purchased it for 7k before I knew it needed an engine rebuild. And I agree this would be a fun project. I'm keeping my eye out for used engines and I'll look into more info about conversions.

1985 Vanagon Westfalia
Young Gun Westy Enthusiast
JackConner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: 670,000 miles on 1985 Westy Odometer Reply with quote

levi wrote:
Ok.
At the risk of sounding crude, I'm just going to come out and say it;
I don't think the combined cost of the van and mechanical repairs is reasonable if you're going to have a mechanic do the work.

There I said it.

Let me give an example.
If the water pump went out it's only about 50 or so dollars for you to do it (and you can do it), but a mechanic will charge at least 10 times that.

I don't see anything here that you can't handle, even if you have no experience, simply by asking here, and really everything you need to do has already been covered on Samba.
You just need some tools and time.

The only thing you probably can't deal with would be internal to the transmission.

There's just so much here that you need to replace.

Make sure, as already said, that all fuel lines are replaced from the engine bulkhead back, including eliminating the plastic connector behind those beautiful coolant hoses at the bulkhead and the inch or 2 of fuel lines at the injectors.
Benny at Benplace.com did an excellent write up on this.

The added advantage of doing everything yourself is getting firsthand knowledge of your van, so that you understand how everything works together, and so you'll be able to fix whatever happens a year from now, because something will happen, pretty much guaranteed.

I do agree that having a mechanic do everything is extremely expensive and that I would learn more if I do it myself. And I definitely think with the tools and time, I could at least give it a shot. I'll have to give this a little more thought. After I talk face to face with my mechanic, and ask some more questions, I'll have a better idea of what it will mean to approach it in that way.

Thanks,

1985 Vanagon Westfalia
Young Gun Westy Enthusiast
Eric_Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 670,000 miles on 1985 Westy Odometer Reply with quote

JackConner wrote:
Eric_Taylor wrote:
I looked and i'm not seeing the answer to this, but what is the asking price for this van and have you already purchased it? For the right price, I'd definitely buy this van. Personally, I would either do a used motor or this would be a great place to start with a motor conversion if that interests you. In a lot of ways the conversion route makes sense because you are swapping the whole fuel injection and ignition systems. That gets rid of a lot of the problems that come from such high mileage on these vintage parts.

Hard to say, but at the right price, I think this would be a fun and great project to tackle!

I purchased it for 7k before I knew it needed an engine rebuild. And I agree this would be a fun project. I'm keeping my eye out for used engines and I'll look into more info about conversions.

Awesome. $7k is totally in that project range. Grab a motor and start using it. You're going to fall in love with it. This will be totally fun. I personally think starting with one with a blown motor is a nice setup because it gives you options and allows you to baseline the van. Many people start with a really nice one for a high price and end up pulling the motor, so you're ahead here in my book.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: