Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Automatic on a 78 CEII
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic on a 78 CEII Reply with quote

Engine front mail oil seal, towards front of car

Transmission rear oil seal

Check oil galley plugs for seeping

Check end play on engine,,,,,gulp.

Transmission mounts?
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic on a 78 CEII Reply with quote

sneakyjack wrote:
Yes agreed on all
Fuel
Boxes
tank

All will happen

Was askin more about the auto tranny.

Search sneakyjack I've been around. (bali 74) Just that the auto Trans is new to me!

I appreciate all the responses in the this thread. Feel free to add.

Pics will come "soon"

Most of the stuff that you can do to an auto tranny, short of total rebuild, you can actually do with the tranny in the bus. Exception would be differential seals (as you know) and changing out the torque converter.

Tranny maintenance is basically fluid/filter change, check the magnet in the pan, adjust the throttle and kickdown per Bentley. You can also readjust the 2nd gear band preload (shouldn't be necessary) and you can also drop the whole "hydraulic computer" from underneath and carefully clean it if you are feeling adventurous. Just don't lose track of which spring goes where.

Another overlooked maintenance item is the ground strap from the transmission to the frame. If this is missing or damaged you will get electrical gremlins.
sneakyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic on a 78 CEII Reply with quote

Pics
for now

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sneakyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic on a 78 CEII Reply with quote

Gettin back on this...

In case anyone is following..

I'm considering renogy solar
and a replacement fridge

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=664258&highlight=renogy
&
http://www.amazon.com/Dometic-CF-025DC-Portable-Fr...etic+cf35

I'm interested in more current stereos that "fit in dash" and Even a cassette player - YES cassette. Not old style(VW)

AND any other 78 reference or Automatic info. More pics come as the build moves forward - stay tuned. Shootin' for May 2019.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic on a 78 CEII Reply with quote

I am considering a 1500 mile round trip this summer from upstate NY to PEI. My auto trans is the biggest unknown in terms of breakdown potential. Most engine related issues you see coming and can act accordingly. Not sure how you could get a sense of the condition of an auto trans that has been plugging away for 150,000 miles with no issues. I just change the ATF, probably more often than I have had to, just because it hadn’t been driven in a long time. It’s the original box on a 73.

Note sure if this was mentioned, but I think the Haynes manual for the bus covers the later automatic in a supplemental section.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic on a 78 CEII Reply with quote

If the shifts are smooth and the fluid is staying clean, drive it and enjoy. ATs are pretty good about letting you know when the bed is defecated.
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic on a 78 CEII Reply with quote

The 010 is widely considered near-bulletproof in terms of reliability. In addition, these transmissions were used on multiple VAG cars well into the 90's. Parts are extremely common and any competent mechanic fresh out of tech school can rebuild them. You can overpay GTA for the job, or just have your local transmission shop do a rebuild for half the price. Nothing to be afraid of.
I have had both manual and automatic buses, and would take the auto any day. They are a joy to drive. All the hate they get is completely mis-directed.
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic on a 78 CEII Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
If the shifts are smooth and the fluid is staying clean, drive it and enjoy. ATs are pretty good about letting you know when the bed is defecated.

Thanks, that's good to know. When I first got it, it would surge between 2nd and third when shifting up. Changed the fluid and it has been great for decades and tens of thousands of miles. I'm not sure if my kickdown switch is working at the moment, but I think it's just an electrical gremlin. I never liked using it as it always felt like it was hard on the transmission.
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic on a 78 CEII Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
... It’s the original box on a 73.

We are talking about something other than your CE Westy then. The 1973 model buses came with the earlier style of automatic transmission. Your CE bus should have the later 010.

Adjusting the bands and changing the fluid is all you really need to do. That's part of the beauty of it. I have put close to 45,000 miles on our 010 transmission in our 1987 Westy, and only problem was overheating it in stop-and-go traffic then having to drive up a long hill.

If you overheat it, it will let you know because it will start to feel like its slipping or losing effort moving you. You will quickly notice this... it won't be anything drastic like loud noise or shudder. It will just feel real weak and sluggish.

Let it cool down for about 20-30 minutes just being parked. It will perform normally again, but now it is time to change the fluid. No need to change the filter,but you might as well if you drop the pan. Kit for that is less than $15.00

I removed our water-interface cooler (1987 Westy is a waterboxer engine) and set up an external cooler with thermostat fan. You can engineer something like that for yours, but will need a bigger design plan to move the fluid. The later 010 trannies had a port for the external cooler, the earlier 010 models did not.

We could argue about missed or noticed engine failure symptoms, but I won't. Just know the 010 is a solid, widespread design with a lot more support than the earlier 003 style.

Work your CV joints, top off the gear oil in the Final Drive and change the ATF. Drive out to California and let me have your CE Westy. I will give you some food. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic on a 78 CEII Reply with quote

Wasted youth wrote:
orwell84 wrote:
... It’s the original box on a 73.

We are talking about something other than your CE Westy then. The 1973 model buses came with the earlier style of automatic transmission. Your CE bus should have the later 010.

Adjusting the bands and changing the fluid is all you really need to do. That's part of the beauty of it. I have put close to 45,000 miles on our 010 transmission in our 1987 Westy, and only problem was overheating it in stop-and-go traffic then having to drive up a long hill.

If you overheat it, it will let you know because it will start to feel like its slipping or losing effort moving you. You will quickly notice this... it won't be anything drastic like loud noise or shudder. It will just feel real weak and sluggish.

Let it cool down for about 20-30 minutes just being parked. It will perform normally again, but now it is time to change the fluid. No need to change the filter,but you might as well if you drop the pan. Kit for that is less than $15.00

I removed our water-interface cooler (1987 Westy is a waterboxer engine) and set up an external cooler with thermostat fan. You can engineer something like that for yours, but will need a bigger design plan to move the fluid. The later 010 trannies had a port for the external cooler, the earlier 010 models did not.

We could argue about missed or noticed engine failure symptoms, but I won't. Just know the 010 is a solid, widespread design with a lot more support than the earlier 003 style.

Work your CV joints, top off the gear oil in the Final Drive and change the ATF. Drive out to California and let me have your CE Westy. I will give you some food. Laughing

I don't mean to complicate the thread, I'm not the OP and definitely have the 003 box. Just thought I'd throw in my question while an autotrans thread was in progress.
sneakyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic on a 78 CEII Reply with quote

Thanks for all the above responses.

diggin into this 78 now - Engine is out and compression good!

Doing the fluids change over through the go westy kit.

Lots more questions to come.

May do a build thread or work off this.

same vehicle different subject:
Whats a decent fit (no cut Stereo WITH CASSETTE) if any.
Also gonna swap the fridge and plan to do extra battery and Solar- Ive read a bunch on here on about -
Dometic CF-25 and its fit in the 78 AND Renogy solar.

Repond as needed on Auto trans Fridge Stereo and Solar.

Thanks in advance!!!
sneakyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic on a 78 CEII Reply with quote

boink for answer to above post
sneakyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic on a 78 CEII Reply with quote

Working with 2000 engine pic to come

Tryin to figure out the drivers side heater accordion tubes on the engine.
This bus originally had a Ac compressor
Tryin to figure how to get the heater tubes up through to the blower / fan.
Also this bus has a one sided fan blower.
Basically tryin to make the heat use able but tryin look for diagrams. That show
How and where these tubes go?
This one tube is close the muffler.
Maybe they are fresh air tubes???
Pics coming

Any additional assists welcome.
sneakyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic on a 78 CEII Reply with quote

I found a pic from Ratwell and it has a number 29 next to it. However I can't find the reference / list to get name of corresponding part.

The part looks like an L no clue on its name.
or where to find / buy. Thanks in advance
sneakyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic on a 78 CEII Reply with quote

https://www.averysaircooled.com/bus/heater-box-exhuast/

found answers here and parts.

figured it may help someone else's search
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic on a 78 CEII Reply with quote

sneakyjack wrote:
Working with 2000 engine pic to come

Tryin to figure out the drivers side heater accordion tubes on the engine.
This bus originally had a Ac compressor
Tryin to figure how to get the heater tubes up through to the blower / fan.
Also this bus has a one sided fan blower.
Basically tryin to make the heat use able but tryin look for diagrams. That show
How and where these tubes go?
This one tube is close the muffler.
Maybe they are fresh air tubes???
Pics coming

Any additional assists welcome.

The one outlet booster fan was for certain 411/412s. The bus takes a dual outlet fan.

FWIW, I long ago welded up the ports in the heater boxes where the risers for the booster fan attached. This gives about the same idle air flow as the booster fan does and better air flow at higher engine speeds.
sneakyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic on a 78 CEII Reply with quote

The one outlet booster fan was for certain 411/412s. The bus takes a dual outlet fan.
Thanks Wild things...
Since the accordians were not hooked up maybe PO popped that in for circulation? I'll Swap for a double
I found the engine parts at Averys VW. On line
sneakyjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic on a 78 CEII Reply with quote

still goin on this

pics to come in the NEW paint which will be agate with "champagne in it"
AGATE white yo top (not pastel)

Trans fluid to be swapped and seals
Engine tin painted close to install

all rust repaired removed gone

top off ready to repaint and canvas with new seals (any one like the new extra strut roof supports?

windows (slider in rear) with new seals to go back

underside (wheel well better recovered with "good 2 stage stuff"

Still wondering
current stereo fit in original spot for radio - bluetooth / aux OR Cassette
Solar ? 200w? Renology? flex panels?
1 Starter battery & one "deep cycle" for solar and parked
a good LCD tv? (kidding just to see if you are reading)
fridge replacement Seen a few to fit where old one fits.

as always thanks in advance
rickfox96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Automatic on a 78 CEII Reply with quote

I've had a couple single DIN stereo's in my 1974 bus, there is lots of room for single DIN stereo's. Mind you mine came with a CD player so the previous owner may have massaged the opening.
HippyTom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Automatic on a 78 CEII Reply with quote

I have a 77 CEI Automatic. I just had a local trans shop completely rebuild mine to like-new. He had done hundreds of 010s back in the day. He showed me everything, cleaned everything inside and out, replaced all worn parts, and reinstalled. He had no trouble finding parts. I should be good for another 42 years.

I love the auto trans in my bus. Mine has been converted to dual webers and it runs great. Plenty of pep. I have 3 Bugs that are standards, so I get my shifting fix in them.
63 Sunroof Bug, Former Herbie, Dad bought in 66
79 Super Beetle Convertible, OG paint and interior
69 Weekender Bus
77 Bay Window Bus, OG paint
69 Bug Convertible - SOLD
71 Super Beetle Vert - SOLD
64 Karmann-Ghia, barn find - SOLD
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: