Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Field find 1954 Canadian custom
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

getgeoff wrote:
Too funny! This is my early 55 that was originally from Winnipeg also. It has the ultra maroon paint underneath that coral red paint job. They must of came from the same body shop. Lol..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The fellow I bought the 54 from had a 55 convertible that was ultramaroon. Someone had painted that one orange as well.

Don
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

I now have the story of this car. It sat in a back lane for years and everyone in the local club had a look at it at some point but for some reason no one wanted it. A fellow who knew very little about VWs ended up buying it. He took it to Bill S, the local VW mechanic/guru who told him it was worth 5 or 6K. The owner misunderstood and got pretty upset with Bill because he though Bill was offering him $5K, which he was not. The car disappeared out of Bill's yard and was not heard of again until you posted this. It looks really good here, when I saw it at Bill's place I don't remember it looking so good.

Don
TinCanFab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Try mixing that ATF 50/50 with acetone, people swear by it

They're never really ever finished 58 rag build...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=658092
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim K
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
I now have the story of this car. It sat in a back lane for years and everyone in the local club had a look at it at some point but for some reason no one wanted it. A fellow who knew very little about VWs ended up buying it. He took it to Bill S, the local VW mechanic/guru who told him it was worth 5 or 6K. The owner misunderstood and got pretty upset with Bill because he though Bill was offering him $5K, which he was not. The car disappeared out of Bill's yard and was not heard of again until you posted this. It looks really good here, when I saw it at Bill's place I don't remember it looking so good.

Don

Don, I'm really enjoying watching the progress on your '54 CC!

Was this other ('55) oval in the back lane on Clarence Ave (or maybe it was Chevrier) off of Pembina Hwy?! I think the guy's name was Peter?

Keep up the great work and make sure you share it here!

Tim K
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

The color combo of this car is absolutely hilarious! Ultramaroon dash with contrasting metallic blue naugahyde seat covers and door cards, a tad shrinked, must be the ultimate 70s expression. Imagine sliding about on these zero friction seat covers! And imagine the dude installing this, taking a step back and enjoying the sight with his girlfriend!

getgeoff wrote:
Too funny! This is my early 55 that was originally from Winnipeg also. It has the ultra maroon paint underneath that coral red paint job. They must of came from the same body shop. Lol..

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Final product on bumper bracket mount:

Repairs to rusted and damaged rear left corner:

A-pillar repair

On another note, How do I get this apart?

Don
Fifty-Eight Rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Nice job on the metal fab Very Happy

1956 Oval build thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

1962 Single Cab Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7959298#7959298

1967 Beetle Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=495269&highlight=larrys
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Ditto on the hand fabrication ! :2gunfire:

Are you treating all the metal behind the work before closing it up, if so are you using a combo of rust convertor and weld through primer?

Enjoying following this project and can't wait to get going on mine after the New Year!

Last edited by tomsbuggered on Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

I'm not doing the rust convertor yet. So far I am just cleaning things and spraying with primer. One of these days I will get some POR15 and start painting stuff with that. I've also been spraying stuff with a thick layer of Boeshield.

https://boeshield.com/why-boeshield/

Don
54 Oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Quote:
"On another note how do I get this out"... [your photo] a couple posts up.

I'm confused cause I'm not sure where it is, inside the door?
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

It is the pivot for the vent window. I figured it out...eventually. Sadly I ended up breaking the phenolic washer. I have to think of a replacement for that. Maybe a piece of printed circuit board.

Don
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Man, I looked at that picture for 20 minutes or so trying to figure out what that was. I knew you had been working at the A pillar, so I was racking my brain on what could be inside there, but that clip! Never thought further than the pillar.

Sadly, I am now reading about the vent wing post and it all comes flying back into my head. Seen that before with a mirror and a flashlight! Thanks for clearing that up, for me! Also, glad you got an answer. This community is great!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Don
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Nice work Don! You are maing great progress, and the patch panels look good.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Yesterday I dug into the A-pillar an the drivers side and got a nasty shock. Some DPO stuffed the A-pillars with insulation some time in the past. Water got in through the trim holes and saturated the insulation. The whole A-pillar on the drivers side is Swiss cheese, it will have to be replaced almost from top to bottom. This is a much bigger job than I was anticipating. Hopefully it won't be any more challenging than this:

That's about as much difficulty as I'm willing to do.

Don
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Hopefully it won't be as bad as first thought. The rust worms never sleep, but slow and sure may win the race!
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Time to tackle the heater channel. This looks pretty straight forward, the back end of it is all pretty solid. Rear quarter replacement, A-pillar bottom replacement and a bit to do at the front. All stuff I have done before.

The green '59:

And now for the '54:

sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

On another note, I want to replace the pans. Who makes correct pans for my '54?

The picture that Wolfsburg West has for pre '55 pans is not correct:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=112701062B

Klassic Fab tells me that my pans are for 49/52 yet these are clearly the original pans and my car was made in August of '54. Can someone shed some light on this?

Don
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
On another note, I want to replace the pans. Who makes correct pans for my '54?

The picture that Wolfsburg West has for pre '55 pans is not correct:

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=112701062B

Klassic Fab tells me that my pans are for 49/52 yet these are clearly the original pans and my car was made in August of '54. Can someone shed some light on this?

Don

The WW pans are not an accurate stamping for an Oval window Bug. However, they do fit and are the correct thickness. I am using their pans in my restoration. They also send the jack point, which is incorrect. Up to you. I felt that the cost shipped to me justified the incorrect stamping. I will need to sandblast and weld in the old jack points!

Maybe VW had a left over set of old pans and threw them into the mix! Would not be the 1st time!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Fifty-Eight Rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Curiosity is getting the better of me.

Maybe it's just the photos, but why are you replacing full pans and heater channels?

1956 Oval build thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

1962 Single Cab Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7959298#7959298

1967 Beetle Restoration
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=495269&highlight=larrys
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 34

Jump to: