Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

"What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 158, 159, 160 ... 171, 172, 173  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Did you use the stock bolts and nuts to mount the wheels?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bogle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

jerryherb: Thanks for posting on the Pacer 60683B steel rims! Sounds like the affordable wheel I've been waiting for for our '87 syncro westfalia. I am still running OE steel with Hankooks. Look forward to more news, and would really appreciate a photo of one installed!

Have you tried one in your spare tire compartment? 6.5" might squeeze in?

Anyone think this would not work for any reason on a syncro?
jerryherb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

i used the stock STEEL wheel nuts and aftermarket (14x1.5 - 33 mm shank) 10.9 bolts for the front with the 8mm spacer. stock bolts are fine if no spacer is used. unfortunately modern bolts are 17mm where original VW are 19mm wrench size so two wheel wrenches will be needed from now on in case of a flat. when i say steel wheel nuts/bolts i mean acorn/round tip, not cone.

regarding the spare, no it will not fit the new wheel fully inflated at this time, missing by about 2 inches. i have not tried deflating, nor replacing the stock mounting spring that holds the spare cover pan and tire in place with screws/nylocs. next step would be vancafe extended/lower spare carrier. i never tried putting my alloy rim in there (6") so not sure if the carrier is made to fit only a 14x5.5" as in original steel rim. ill play around with it some more once other work is completed

i'll post pics once i complete all the work. still have the van on the stands while working on CV replacement.

I also got a set of chrome pacer caps (113SD) for under $20 on ebay which were about 1mm larger than pacer rim bore so enlarged the holes slightly (mostly powdercoat and a bit of steel) to make them fit. the rim hole was supposed to be 67mm, caps 2.65" so go figure. they go over the hubs with ease and look shiny Smile

btw the rims are made in the US, the caps - china.
maco70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Hi to all,

I have an opportunity to buy Ronal R9 15x7 ET35 for my vanagon 2WD.

Would it fit direct, or should I put a 5 mm spacer on the front?

Regards,

1986 Vanagon GL full camper westfalia
(brown/tan interior)
jerryherb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

16" Pacers/w caps w/ Nokian C-line on my AC westy. installed 5mm spacers on front and rear just in case, no rubbing, they appear to fit perfectly. had to enlarge the center holes slightly to fit the caps in (about 1mm)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bogle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Thanks jerryherb for the photos and this 16"x6.5" steel option!

I inquired via ebay to tire_nation about their specs for "(4) Pacer 60683B FWD BLACK MOD 16X6.5 5X105/5X112 67.00 Hub +41 Black Wheel Rim"
I asked:
What is the load rating for each wheel?
What is the weight of each wheel?

And here's what I got back from their Customer Service Team:
"Thank you for your email inquiry. Unfortunately, we don't have the load rating nor weight of this wheel at this time. We are currently working hard on obtaining information from our vendors. If you have any further questions or concerns, feel free to contact us."
crazyvwvanman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

They are not light wheels. Close to 30 lbs IIRC.

The load rating I have seen for them is 1500 lbs.

Mark
jerryherb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

these are quite hefty. shipping weight was 35lbs each including the box. the material appears thicker than stock vw steel wheels
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

jerryherb, those look great! Thanks for the info. They look similar to the syncro 16 wheels. Are the syncro 16s even available anymore?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bogle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Is this Tiguan wheel suitable for an '87 Syncro Westfalia? I found some that have already had center bore modification to 66.7mm. It is 16x6.5 ET33.
I cannot find load rating, and don't know what other issue may be lurking.

Christopher Schimke
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

For those Tiguan wheels above, you will need to go one of a few ways.

1) Machine the centers of the wheels to 66.56mm and bolt them onto the stock studs with new small ball seat lug nuts.

2) Grind the lip down on the front hubs to clear the wheels and bolt them onto the stock studs with new small ball seat lug nuts.

3) Install 5mm spacers along with new (longer) studs and small ball seat lug nuts.

The center caps will fit on the front, but not the rear, even with the correct thickness spacers in place.

*Custom wheel hardware for Audi/VW, Porsche and Mercedes wheels - Urethane Suspension Bushings*
T3Technique.com or contact me at [email protected]
bogle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Christopher Schimke wrote:
For those Tiguan wheels above, you will need to go one of a few ways.

1) Machine the centers of the wheels to 66.56mm and bolt them onto the stock studs with new small ball seat lug nuts.

2) Grind the lip down on the front hubs to clear the wheels and bolt them onto the stock studs with new small ball seat lug nuts.

3) Install 5mm spacers along with new (longer) studs and small ball seat lug nuts.

The center caps will fit on the front, but not the rear, even with the correct thickness spacers in place.

Thanks. I appreciate you listing all the options to get this style wheel on a syncro (and all the information you have offered on this great thread.)

You have any information on the load rating of this style of Tiguan alloy?
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

I've been looking at wheels and posts for about 6 hours now, so forgive me if this has been asked:

Is there a search tool for OEM wheels by size/offset? This one works perfectly for this company's inventory, but I want to find OEM wheels that I can find in a local junk yard:
https://www.performanceplustire.com/wheels-by-size/

I feel like this would be so nice to those of us who want something that looks ok and requires very little boring/replacing lugs.

Thanks-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

[quote="jwallis"]I've been looking at wheels and posts for about 6 hours now, so forgive me if this has been asked:

Is there a search tool for OEM wheels by size/offset? This one works perfectly for this company's inventory, but I want to find OEM wheels that I can find in a local junk yard:

I feel like this would be so nice to those of us who want something that looks ok and requires very little boring/replacing lugs.

Thanks-

GW wheels look "okay" and fits...

Looks great and fits (Rhein wheels at RMW .

https://www.vancafe.com/Vanagon-Wheels-Tires-15rhein-p/15rhein.htm

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

jwallis wrote:
I've been looking at wheels and posts for about 6 hours now, so forgive me if this has been asked:

It's a short list: CLKs. Some Passat and some Merc steelies. That's about it. That's what I learned from following the thread since its start.

I found some CLKs.
jwallis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

campism wrote:

It's a short list: CLKs. Some Passat and some Merc steelies. That's about it. That's what I learned from following the thread since its start.

I found some CLKs.

Ok, that's helpful. It would be awesome if there was a shared spreadsheet, like a google sheet that had all this info compiled - or even a list of wheels which were a straight bolt-on with no mods.

I am not willing to pay $1k for a new set of wheels + tires. My hope was to find wheels that fit without too much modding with tires on them on craigslist. There are lots of ads like this on craigslist - decent looking wheels with tires with life left for $200-$400. I know this is idealistic, but it's definitely possible, and I am willing to do some work grinding/etc. I just REALLY don't want to put on longer studs in the rear.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

jwallis wrote:
campism wrote:

I found some CLKs.

Ok, that's helpful. It would be awesome if there was a shared spreadsheet, like a google sheet that had all this info compiled - or even a list of wheels which were a straight bolt-on with no mods.

I am not willing to pay $1k for a new set of wheels + tires. My hope was to find wheels that fit without too much modding with tires on them on craigslist. There are lots of ads like this on craigslist - decent looking wheels with tires with life left for $200-$400. I know this is idealistic, but it's definitely possible, and I am willing to do some work grinding/etc. I just REALLY don't want to put on longer studs in the rear.

I think you're dreaming, unless you find something being sold by a Vanagon owner upgrading to a different size or setup. For one thing, if you have a Westy you need tires with the proper load rating. THEN you need them to be on wheels that will bolt right up. Ain't gonna happen unless they came off a Vanagon. Even the CLK alloys need to have the lug holes drilled out (37/64" to fit over the 14mm lugs) and the steelies will need at least this, plus maybe the centerbores opened up.

Those Merc steelies mentioned above are probably the best and most reliably cheap approach for the wheels, then save up for the tires to fit. CLK alloys are nice and many of us are lucky to find them for $200 a set, but you still need small ball seat lugs (~$100 shipped) and drilling. You might have to pay more for the same wheels needing the same work to fit.

Say you're lucky enough to find a set of CLKs with tires on CL. You pay for those and for the new lugs and drilling. What tires are on them, something that will fit the van properly? Maybe, if you're lucky. And how long will you have to wait to find these wheels and tires? Do you wanna drive or do you wanna live on CL for the next two (or three, or four) years?
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Jwallis, just to give you an idea of what you're up against, let me tell you the fable of a guy (who shall remain nameless) with the Dodge B350 van with eight-lug 16" wheels. Lots of one-ton trucks use these but Ford has a larger center bore and Chevy uses a smaller center bore, so the Ford wheels will fit but Chevy will not without work. BUT in the early oughts Ford went from the 8 x 6.5" bolt circle to a slightly larger 170mm bolt circle that won't interchange so if I'm...er, if this guy wants to cruise CL for a nice set of used wheels with tires the right size and E load rating he needs to know all of this and be lucky enough to find it in one package that is priced at the point he is willing to pay. Simple, right? Try it, and be patient with the Ford guys who don't know the BCD changed or what year that happened. Plus, we all know every CL seller is entirely honest and accurate about what he's selling. Have fun.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

Uhhh... $1000 is CHEAP for the part of your life that depends on weather you go or stop or instead, if you don't pay-it-forward right, you just end up with shredded tires, in a crash, maimed self or loved ones, and any other vehicles or people involved in your negligence.

$1000 is cheap. Spend properly on wheels and tires. Don't put a Vanagon on the road with wheels or tires that are not designed with the load you are running. Get proper fasteners from a reputable seller. Many rims need spacers. Be glad they are available and use them.

If its is CLKs, they have gone sky high, for sure. I got this set (C320) for $200, and the properly rated tires for about $400. I used T3Technique.com for the proper hardware. The total came to slightly less than $1000, but I took about 2 years getting from Wanting to Installing.

campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: "What wheels fit?" The ultimate wheel post. Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
If its is CLKs, they have gone sky high, for sure. I got this set (C320) for $200, and the properly rated tires for about $400. I used T3Technique.com for the proper hardware. The total came to slightly less than $1000, but I took about 2 years getting from Wanting to Installing.

My experience almost word for word. I put a Want To Buy ad on the local CL and after a while was lucky to find a set of the CLK "Toliman" wheels for $200. These sat on the shelf until I researched tires in the correct load rating (102T) to fit those wheels and wound up with 205/65R16s that are only slightly taller than the stockers (minimal effect on gearing) and paid to have them mounted and balanced by a local place ($95), got the T3 hardware and eventually put it all together. Coulda been rolling two years sooner if I had not screwed around and wasted time crawling in junkyards looking for the deal.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 158, 159, 160 ... 171, 172, 173  Next
Jump to:
Page 159 of 173

Jump to: