Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

40 hp autowerks fvee heads 35.5 intake valves stock ex valve
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: 40 hp autowerks fvee heads 35.5 intake valves stock ex valve Reply with quote

hi guys been a long time since I have been on samba . I have a pair of 40hp heads by auto werks formula vee heads I got these off of a formula vee racer. they are strange set of heads. because they have 35.5 intake valves the head number is 113.101 73 the heads are cast in mexico they have high rev single springs with high rev retaners stock 40hp ex valves I don't know much about autowerks but I am sure there work is the best. the heads have new guides new valves there like brand new cond. any info on these heads would be great . I am sure they would be great street heads I will try to post photos its been a long time since I posted photos thanks spencerfvee ps I think these heads might be cheater heads for formula vee my under standing is you must run stock valve heads in formula vee race cars
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andy198712
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: 40 hp autowerks fvee heads 35.5 intake valves stock ex valve Reply with quote

Interesting heads! Like you say, maybe cheater heads Wink
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: 40 hp autowerks fvee heads 35.5 intake valves stock ex valve Reply with quote

andy198712 wrote:
Interesting heads! Like you say, maybe cheater heads Wink
…………………………………………………………………………………….one person told me they might be made for over seas heads. like Germany where your taxed by how many ccs your motor is ./ so I think over seas they used 1200cc motor into the 1980s I could be wrong , they updated the heads with 35mm intake valves. they all so used harder valve seats . that would make them hold up for todays gas .one day I might use them on a 40hp build there like new cond. spencerfvee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andy198712
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: 40 hp autowerks fvee heads 35.5 intake valves stock ex valve Reply with quote

Ah that’s interesting, makes sense too! No porting done? (Was that allowed in FV?)

I’m going to move my beetles original 40hp from the garage and into my living room where I rebuild it the warm lol
It swallowed a carb plate screw at one point in it life so will be interesting to see if that’s in there or not

I’ll look to make a special 1200 from it!
Seen the 1200 competitions they have in Europe? They look like a fun challenge to try for

Sorry to wonder off topic!
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 40 hp autowerks fvee heads 35.5 intake valves stock ex valve Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
andy198712 wrote:
Ah that’s interesting, makes sense too! No porting done? (Was that allowed in FV?)

I’m going to move my beetles original 40hp from the garage and into my living room where I rebuild it the warm lol
It swallowed a carb plate screw at one point in it life so will be interesting to see if that’s in there or not

Seen the 1200 competitions they have in Europe? They look like a fun challenge to try for

………………………………………………………………………………………………...in your living room .lol us guys in the north where it gets cold have to keep warm any way we can . I work in my junk room in my house but I don't have a wife to say no you cant bring a motor in the house .lol hope your motor is not damaged and you get it on the road .what kind of mpg do you get? I herd 40hps get like 35 40 mpg good luck keep me posted on your motor oh your in the uk sorry spencerfvee
andy198712
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: 40 hp autowerks fvee heads 35.5 intake valves stock ex valve Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
spencerfvee wrote:
andy198712 wrote:

………………………………………………………………………………………………...in your living room .lol us guys in the north where it gets cold have to keep warm any way we can . I work in my junk room in my house but I don't have a wife to say no you cant bring a motor in the house .lol hope your motor is not damaged and you get it on the road .what kind of mpg do you get? I herd 40hps get like 35 40 mpg good luck keep me posted on your motor oh your in the uk sorry spencerfvee

it gets colder in the north in the UK then right at the very bottom where i am anyways Wink
same situation, although lifting it up to a first floor flat isn't all that easy lol might wrap it in a old duvet so I can grab hold of it easier and closer to my chest without covering my self in oil and grime! maybe i should pressure wash it first too!

it'll be fine i'm sure, it ran for ages after that, was a bit clanky which got better when i ran 20-50w so either rod bearings or followers wearing is my guess....
it may even see a turbo Wink

MPG i'll need to look over my old thread, but i recall getting alot better MPG when i started to control the ignition with mega squirt and crank fired.... even made up a home brew water injection for it at one point.
gears
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp autowerks fvee heads 35.5 intake valves stock ex valve Reply with quote

In '69 I purchased a set of 35.5 x 32 German heads, which I paired with a big bore kit and 200 CFM Holley. The engine ran quite well in my '58 bus ..
'87 Syncro GL 2.5
https://guardtransaxle.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
surferdudedav
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: 40 hp autowerks fvee heads 35.5 intake valves stock ex valve Reply with quote

Jack!!!!! How you been?!
PEPPE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp autowerks fvee heads 35.5 intake valves stock ex valve Reply with quote

mexico heads were standard equipment on beetles sold in italy until 1986. they were regular 40hp heads but with slightly better i/o runners. 35.5mm valves were not used here. probably they were modified in the past.
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 40 hp autowerks fvee heads 35.5 intake valves stock ex valve Reply with quote

surferdudedav wrote:
Jack!!!!! How you been?!
hi dave how have you been ? I am fine . got out of vws for two years . after hank passed away also stopped drag racing vws 2 years ago . now I am back into vws . I don't know if you know jerry mong passed away .my old bobsy formula vee is going to be raced next year tom Simpson built a bad ass 40hp motor . I sold him a lot of formula vee parts heads carbs cams. toms wifes son has my bobsy vee . you still into vanguard parts ?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: