Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windshield wipers acting up
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Katone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Windshield wipers acting up Reply with quote

Weird symptoms had me thinking the controls or motor was bad, but after checking controls and replacing motor they still go bananas. Next is relay I'm guessing, could someone point out to me which relay it is I need to replace please? Thanks
KindaHippyish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield wipers acting up Reply with quote

Can you describe what is happening? I've fought with windshield wipers acting up and thought it was maybe a motor or something, but what ended up being the problem was the metal teeth that connect the wiper to the motor sheering. I've had to replace my driver's side wiper arm twice due to this.
1986 Vanagon GL Syncro 2.1L WBX 4SPD - RIP Sad
Katone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield wipers acting up Reply with quote

KindaHippyish wrote:
Can you describe what is happening? I've fought with windshield wipers acting up and thought it was maybe a motor or something, but what ended up being the problem was the metal teeth that connect the wiper to the motor sheering. I've had to replace my driver's side wiper arm twice due to this.

Wipers start randomly without me touching the controls (intermittent) then never turn off until I switch off engine. Funny thing is it only happens with motor running, if I switch on igntion without starting the engine all is well!
So far to troubleshoot I disconnected the controls at the column and exact same symptoms happened (wipers turned on by themselves when I turned engine on with controls disconnected), and replaced wiper motor because I read on the board that it goes bad and can create funky symptoms.

Last edited by Katone on Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Katone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield wipers acting up Reply with quote

Got the replacement relay and still having the issue. I could use help if anyone has an idea plz.

Basically my wipers turn on by themselves and cant be turned off unless I switch off engine or remove relay/fuse. So far I replaced wiper motor and relay.
The twist is that it only happens with the engine actually running. With ignition on and engine off all is normal!

I'm baffled
mvaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield wipers acting up Reply with quote

happening to me too on my latest van after it sitting for a month or so.. swapped relay.. same.. did volt check on harness at motor and it shows voltage where other (working) vans don't. so, i'm guessing it's a ground feedback issue..

gonna be bear to track down but if i get there before anyone else i'll report back.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Windshield wipers acting up Reply with quote

If you can get a wiring diagram try to follow the grounds .
Katone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield wipers acting up Reply with quote

mvaska wrote:
happening to me too on my latest van after it sitting for a month or so.. swapped relay.. same.. did volt check on harness at motor and it shows voltage where other (working) vans don't. so, i'm guessing it's a ground feedback issue..

gonna be bear to track down but if i get there before anyone else i'll report back.

Really, same exact issue??? Seemed so random I wouldn't have thought

Today found the battery unable to crank engine (not all the way dead tho), and the other day battery dash light came on upon turning on heater (headlights on too). Brought battery to AutoZone and it's fine, it charged normally, started engine and voltmeter reads 13.5/.8 with lights on etc, so alternator is good too. What gives?? Wonder if it could be related somehow?
mvaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield wipers acting up Reply with quote

totally possible it's two different root causes but def same exact symptom.

my can was in a fender bender with the PO and the repair shop did typical shoddy work on wire repairs so...

i have to do the HVAC exchange flap repair so i'm waiting for when the dash is out to really investigate possible wiring issues.
Katone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield wipers acting up Reply with quote

Cool let me know what u find, I'll do the same 👍
mvaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Windshield wipers acting up Reply with quote

finally got into it .. full dashboard out wire examination.

the brown grounding donut thing on the right of the fusebox holder had some loose connections. after paying attention to that the wipers started working fine. that said, i tried to get the wiper to break again by disconnecting the same loose wires and ... didn't make a difference.

also... now i have this issue whereby the driver's headlight will be super dim until i flash the high beams at which point everything works great.

related? no idea. will post more if i learn more.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: