Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Headlight is not centered
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Headlight is not centered Reply with quote

Man there a so many pieces to the headlight adjustment assembly. Funny thing is NONE OF THEM ARE ADJUSTABLE. The only adjustment I see is for the headlight direction.

This thing is so out of whack, I can't get the outer ring on.

Any ideas????

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight is not centered Reply with quote

How about a pic with the ring out of the way?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight is not centered Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
How about a pic with the ring out of the way?

OK. Here are a few with the HL and the empty bucket.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight is not centered Reply with quote

aftermarket basket? looks like it.

having said that...even the real deal hella baskets (by real deal, I mean as they left the factory) are kind of out to lunch in terms of being 100% centered, but those look to be way off.

do you have originals to try?

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight is not centered Reply with quote

Just now, I dug up the rusty ones out from under the house... never throw anything away, til you are done with a restoration.....

anyway. the new shiney one has a tab at 2 o'clock like this one. But I had to grind the new one off to get 2 out of 3 hold down screws in. This one also has the tab, and it is tuff to see with the black POR in the back ground, but the tab is not touching the bucket, even has a bit of clearance. moving the bracket over about 1/8". Might be enough to get the ring on. But still won't be centered.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight is not centered Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, is the mounting ring on the new one parallel with the face of the glass all the way around when viewed from the side?, if it's adjusted (aimed) to point off towards the left ditch the ring won't fit.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight is not centered Reply with quote

I thought I had both adjustment screws at their midpoints. I will double check that tho.

EDIT: they are both about mid way.

I installed the old rusty shell in the pic above. Mounted the adjustment bracket and HL and the trim ring still will not go on.

Are all BayWindow Headlight carriers the same? Maybe there is a late style from a 79 that would do better?
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight is not centered Reply with quote

Link

Here is a video of my 1st idea for a solution. The long clip on the right side of the bucket gives me enough meat to tek screw or similar the carrier to the bucket clip.

Seems logical.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight is not centered Reply with quote

malcolm2 wrote:

Are all BayWindow Headlight carriers the same?

yes.

do you have the correct "bus only" headlight rings? bus have the drain hole on the bottom, beetle have none

like I said, the just kind of don't center. I wouldn't tec screw anything. IF anything you could futz with the hook on the body and/or the trim ring.

all of my buses with OE buckets and hella H4's "scrape" a tiny bit installing the ring when I have the headlights adjusted where I want them

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Headlight is not centered Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
malcolm2 wrote:

Are all BayWindow Headlight carriers the same?

yes.

do you have the correct "bus only" headlight rings? bus have the drain hole on the bottom, beetle have none

Yes. My rings do have the tiny hole in the btm. The ring is not the problem. It goes on fine without the HL assembly attached. The rings are just the result of the problem.

Even tho I have already spent $70 on these crappy carriers, I put a WTB ad out there and got lots of replies. Now I need to find the supplier that actually has 45 year old OEM carriers and give them a shot.

However, I believe these rusty ones are OEM and they don't fit either. So I may have to go with the tek screw or drill and tap method. From the video, you can see that it is just a matter of attachment.
Suomi_bus*818
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight is not centered Reply with quote

I had/still have the same problem. So I tried different carriers. Old and new. I even bought new rings (plastic and metal) just to find out that they are not the reason for my problem.
Then I compared different buses at a meet. It seems that many buses have the same issue.
I think Im going to modify my carrier. Might be the only solution.

Erik
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight is not centered Reply with quote

Thanks to all that replied to my WTB ad, but even rusty OEM carriers cost too much to "try". Plus I have a set of rusty OEM ones.

those look like mine for sure. I could not even get the ring on. I don't care so much about the look of having a 3/8" gap, but I want the ring to attach.

Basically, modifying the carrier or the tabs welded to the bucket seems to be the only way.

Welding new tabs will be risky and lots of work. So kinda like my video shows, just attach 1 factory screw, rotate the carrier inside the ring, til you get it like yo u want it, then tek screw the carrier to the large tab in the middle.

Gonna see what the smallest tek screw that home depot has and try it tonight.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight is not centered Reply with quote

dude...

put them in and slam the ring over. like I said, and the photos confirm, that is how they seem to fit.

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight is not centered Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
dude...

put them in and slam the ring over. like I said, and the photos confirm, that is how they seem to fit.

No. 1. The ring will not seat enough for the 1 screw to hit the threads. If the screw was long enough, then "maybe".
2. Once I get it running, I will need to adjust the headlight. It would not adjust if the ring is slammed.

Sorry, some things I would prefer to be closer to "GOOD" than "IT WILL WORK".

If no one has an answer, I will forge ahead on my own and report back. Laughing
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight is not centered Reply with quote

I'd be looking at the area on the side opposite where the screw goes to see what keeps the ring from sliding more towards the side with the screw.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight is not centered Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
I'd be looking at the area on the side opposite where the screw goes to see what keeps the ring from sliding more towards the side with the screw.

The headlight is way too far to the right. The ring hits the headlight. The ring is designed to surround the headlight and cover the gap between the HL and edge of the bucket.

THe carrier touches the inside of the bucket on the right.... leaving a huge gap on the left.

The reason all this is happening is either the carrier does not have holes in the right place or the factory worker did not weld the tabs inside the bucket in the right place, or both. Seems to me, it would have been super easy for the VW guys to build a rig to insert into the bucket, leaving only room enough to weld the tabs in... PERIOD. When they are done, everything fits as designed.

Then some chinese joker started making carriers with holes in the wrong place. and this is where we all ended up.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlight is not centered Reply with quote

then park the bus further to the right...........

My suggestion is take the headlight out, and the removable portion of the bucket. Study the parts, Then adjust the tabs, holes etc, to get the bucket closer to where you need it to go. You might be able to bend the inner tab and elongate the holes on the removable bucket to center it better. I seem to recall there is some play in how the light sits in the bucket too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: