Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I just bought a Westy Single Cab! (1.6TD JX)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

WestyBob wrote:

I guess it depends on how you intend to use -- work truck or drive to visit the Queen in your silk tux when she visits or somewhere in between ?

Somewhere in between. I don't fit in my silk tux anymore.......must have shrunk.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
WestyBob wrote:

I guess it depends on how you intend to use -- work truck or drive to visit the Queen in your silk tux when she visits or somewhere in between ?

Somewhere in between. I don't fit in my silk tux anymore.......must have shrunk.

I kinda like the look of the 'industrial' box but can agree I'd prefer without than with (mine in my avatar) unless I was using exclusively on a farm. Maybe remove and sell which seems to be what you are thinking. I never had a silk tux but am sure I wouldn't fit in it anyway Smile

I see sinka side/tail gates show up on the Samba classifieds periodically, especially from out west here, more specifically from Cali. Shipping costs may be murder. Maybe Plompen has a nice set around.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

WestyBob wrote:

I kinda like the look of the 'industrial' box but can agree I'd prefer without than with (mine in my avatar) unless I was using exclusively on a farm. Maybe remove and sell which seems to be what you are thinking. I never had a silk tux but am sure I wouldn't fit in it anyway Smile

I see sinka side/tail gates show up on the Samba classifieds periodically, especially from out west here, more specifically from Cali. Shipping costs may be murder. Maybe Plompen has a nice set around.

I probably should have asked Mike if he could find a set to through in the back. Oh well. Who knows, might start growing on me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SteveMc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

old_man wrote:

Speaking of which, anyone know where I can find a used set of sinka drop sides/tail gate? Should I not change my mind about it's ugliness.

You can get NOS from Volkswagen Classic but they are pricey. Also, there is an NOS tailgate in the Samba ads. And nice looking truck you have there!
https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/ersatzt...appen.html
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

SteveMc wrote:

You can get NOS from Volkswagen Classic but they are pricey. Also, there is an NOS tailgate in the Samba ads. And nice looking truck you have there!
https://www.volkswagen-classic-parts.de/en/ersatzt...appen.html

A little rich for my blood. I can't even fathom what shipping would cost.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:

EDIT: Here is my guess, turbo is overpressurizing due to a stuck wastegate causing the BOV to actuate. The BOV doesn't close/reset until 6psi. Possible? I'm new to turbos.

Out of curiosity what would happen if I just block off my BOV and run with the waste gate stuck? Too much boost? I know I would need an EGT gauge but could the mighty JX take it?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
?Waldo? wrote:

EDIT: Here is my guess, turbo is overpressurizing due to a stuck wastegate causing the BOV to actuate. The BOV doesn't close/reset until 6psi. Possible? I'm new to turbos.

Out of curiosity what would happen if I just block off my BOV and run with the waste gate stuck? Too much boost? I know I would need an EGT gauge but could the mighty JX take it?

If you block the BOV and your wastegate doesn't work then boost will spike quite high if you keep on the accelerator pedal at higher rpms. It would probably not cause any significant issues but could cause the head gasket to fail. Also, when you boost unintercooled above ~15 psi, it becomes somewhat counterproductive.

I took a look at the spare k14 wastegate I have here and it is in somewhat poor condition. The casting is fairly eroded. I'd send it for the cost of shipping with no guarantee that it works properly.
Odd_Dutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

Nice pick-up! For a trailer hitch you can have a look here:
https://www.aanhangwagendirect.nl/koppelingen/ongeremde-koppelingen/
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

Work work work. No time to play with truck but tons of time to waste on the internet......
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

owokie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

Sweet whip. If you really wanna waste internet time, start looking at LTs too:

WRT the hitch, I'd leave it off. We put a 2" receiver in place of the euro-weiner. Much more functional.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

So today was a busy day full of highs and low.

It started off with UPS emailing me they were charging me $80 in brokerage fees. I thought they was going to be no brokerage fees because I had selected UPS express but there was. Turns out if there is more than 5 items in the box they charge an additional $4.50 per item. I really hate this company. I told them I wanted to self clear the package and they would email the paper work for me to do so. Never recieved it. I really really hate this company. I may have to bend over and give them my money.

The goal here was to get the wastegate working. Tried penetrant and compressed air but as I expected...no dice. So I had to remove the turbo. This was a bit of a challenge. I eventually got it out.

Unfortunately some PO used cheap bolts on the exhaust bracket instead of the required studs the bolts snapped. I managed to get 3 out of 4 out but the last one I had to drill. It was not a fun experience and took a long time.

On the bright side the I got the 4 big bolts out that hold the turbo to the manifold. I was very happy about this.

It was hard to do and required a lot of heat. I am convinced spraying penetrant a day or two before hand does nothing. Exhaust needs heat. You can see the threads aren't good anymore. Good thing I had already ordered replacements. These are very expensive bolts.

This I don't understand. Stainless steel hose clamp but a regular steel crew drive. Had to be cut off.

Exhaust came out. I just cut it off to give me room to work. It's getting replaced anyways. Several welded patches already and someone welded the muffler on.

When it came time to get the wastegate off that also fought me the whole way. Getting those allen heads out is painful. Not a good design. Naturally, one didn't cooperate. Had to be drilled and that didn't go too straight. Still managed to get it to work. Hopefully it lasts. I bent the valve getting the wastegate out. Apparently that is common.

Here is where I stand now. Might as well rebuilt the turbo seeing as I am this deep.

I've been thinking. What if I drill a mid sized hole opposite the wastegate valve. Tap it and then but a short bolt in it. That way if the wastegate if ever stuck again (common on K14s apparently) I can take the bolt out, spray some carbon dissolver, insert a punch, and then pop it loose. Good idea or bad idea? I would rather not have to go through this again.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

I totally understand the pain. I've disassembled several like that. In that situation I would either send it off to someone to have it rebuilt (it should be balanced anyway) or purchase a used turbo.
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

owokie wrote:

Want!

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

Another day, another problem. Decided to take apart the centre section. Ya, that worked out well.

Tried to reassemble it and then realized that the main spool wobbled because the shaft is bent. I think I dropped it a couple days ago.

....New CHRA ordered. The downside is that is that just before this I had paid UPS additional money to expedite another order. I won't be able to use that order until my new turbo is in so that was money wasted. The disappointment is that it will probably be January before this stupid thing is working again.

If I could do it all over again I think I would have just bought a complete replacement K14 from China on AliExpress. Then I would have rebuilt mine over time.

Stupid wastegate. I think my drilling a hole idea to free it has some merit.
foodeater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
owokie wrote:

Want!

me too!

Looks like its getting shipped to the US, it has Baltimore written on the windshield.
'87 Vanagon Syncro-RIP
'81 diesel rabbit-sold
'82 Vanagon auto-RIP
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

old_man wrote:
Another day, another problem. Decided to take apart the centre section. Ya, that worked out well.

Tried to reassemble it and then realized that the main spool wobbled because the shaft is bent. I think I dropped it a couple days ago.

....New CHRA ordered. The downside is that is that just before this I had paid UPS additional money to expedite another order. I won't be able to use that order until my new turbo is in so that was money wasted. The disappointment is that it will probably be January before this stupid thing is working again.

If I could do it all over again I think I would have just bought a complete replacement K14 from China on AliExpress. Then I would have rebuilt mine over time.

Stupid wastegate. I think my drilling a hole idea to free it has some merit.

Dang. As they say no good deed goes unpunished. Very Happy

Thanks for posting your turbo saga - I know this is my future, and with zero experience with turbos will be relying heavily on your thread here. Wish I could offer something other than encouragement. I’m rooting for your success!
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

Alaskaberrys wrote:

Dang. As they say no good deed goes unpunished. Very Happy

Thanks for posting your turbo saga - I know this is my future, and with zero experience with turbos will be relying heavily on your thread here. Wish I could offer something other than encouragement. I’m rooting for your success!

That's the funny part. The turbo was function fine, I could have left it alone. If you are reading then I will try to take more pictures and document better. I, too, have zero experience with turbos.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

I noticed this the other day: https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-1994-Canadian-Golf-K14...SwVYNdrjcE

You might have better luck North of the border, though. You might try contacting BurnYourMoney on vwdiesel.net and see if he has one or post a wanted ad on TDI club.
old_man
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

So parts box show up.

But first, I was sizing up how much effort it would be to take off the exhaust manifold so I could drill and tap for an EGT probe and I spotted this.

Someone has been there before. Not sure what kind of work would necessitate an exhaust removal but it's probably interesting. Judging by their solution to what I assume was a broken exhaust stud I don't have high hope for the quality of their work. I think I will just let the manifold be and drill/tap in situ.

So I ordered everything from JustKampers in the UK. It was a toss up between them and Brickworks but JK had the exhaust I wanted. Everything, except the exhaust, showed a European country of origin with the majority of it being either the UK or Germany. However, as you will see, it was not entirely accurate. I have ordered a few times from JK and it has always been a pleasant experience. Unfortunately for larger orders they ship UPS. I, and just about every other Canadian, hates UPS with a passion.

Speaking of exhaust, I spoiled myself and went stainless. It wasn't that much more. This was manufactured by the hard working and industrious people of China.

Turbo installation kit. Here you can see the correct studs and copper nuts. It even came with a little syringe to pour oil into the turbo.

Is this better one that I should get?

They were fairly cheap so I got new metal work for the lower windshield in case I need them. It would cost far more to order it later due to shipping.

New boots. Hopefully they last, I have read that some don't.

Here you can see of the manifest that the country of origin is "DE". It is not.

The only thing that didn't work out so far is the fuel filter I got is a simple nipple in and nipple out. I think they one I have on my truck is banjo fittings. Chucks but out of everything else that has gone sideways this is just a drop in the bucket.

So I think I figured out where I want to put the EGT probe but where should I put the boost gauge sensor? T off the LDA line? T off the waste gate line? Drill tape the manifold? or drill/tap somewhere on aluminium turbo housing?

Last edited by old_man on Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
erste
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: I just bought a Westy Single Cab! Reply with quote

old_man wrote:

The mirrors are one of the first things I noticed and it's interesting that this truck has the same mirrors as yours. I figured they were adapted from a different vehicle but it seems like they were fitted by Westfalia to see around the rear box?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 12

Jump to: