Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel leak from charcoal canister?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Fuel leak from charcoal canister? Reply with quote

My van has been sitting for a couple months and I decided to take it out for spin yesterday. When I got back home I smelled gas and noticed a fairly large gas stain on the garage floor.

I didn't have much time to investigate but I saw no signs of leaks from my fuel lines. I did notice the plastic elbow on the bottom of the charcoal canister was wet and there was a stain on the top of my rear swing arm below the canister.

I didn't think liquid gasoline made it to the charcoal canister but maybe I don't understand how that works. Is there any chance my leak is from the canister rather than the fuel lines?
dabaron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel leak from charcoal canister? Reply with quote

SCM wrote:
My van has been sitting for a couple months and I decided to take it out for spin yesterday. When I got back home I smelled gas and noticed a fairly large gas stain on the garage floor.

I didn't have much time to investigate but I saw no signs of leaks from my fuel lines. I did notice the plastic elbow on the bottom of the charcoal canister was wet and there was a stain on the top of my rear swing arm below the canister.

I didn't think liquid gasoline made it to the charcoal canister but maybe I don't understand how that works. Is there any chance my leak is from the canister rather than the fuel lines?

just a guess but gas vapors condensed and built up enough to drip?

BiWerks Design, LLC
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel leak from charcoal canister? Reply with quote

Do you neck fill the fuel tank when filling up?
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel leak from charcoal canister? Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
Do you neck fill the fuel tank when filling up?

Nope. Once the pump clicks itself off I stop fueling.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel leak from charcoal canister? Reply with quote

I’m really puzzled. I gave a real good look at all the fuel line and evap system connections after cycling the pump/relay and while idling the van for about 10 minutes. No leaks whatsoever. I just hat intermittent problems but I guess all I can do is keep an eye on things.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel leak from charcoal canister? Reply with quote

The charcoal canister should collect hydrocarbons and purge going down the road. It may not be purging or has become saturated. The only way I recall is to weigh it against a new one. Don’t like to mess with fuel smells or leaks.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel leak from charcoal canister? Reply with quote

some vans had a purge hose to the aircleaner, other did not come with that. on mine the vent on the cannister got clogged with a spider nest, but that prevented full filling of the gas tank, ie, it would not vent. i removed the nest and all was well, then I installed a screen over the vent to keep the spiders out.

conceivable that driving or parking on a steep slope could drain fuel into the canister I suppose.

good luck

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: