Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1977, #3 sucking oil
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jargon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: 1977, #3 sucking oil Reply with quote

So my '77 seems to have a perforated cylinder. #3 is sucking oil out of the case and burning some of it, and spitting the rest into my exhaust system. So I think I'm looking at either replacing the piston/head etc, or getting a rebuild. I guess I could also look for a used engine to replace it with.

My mechanic doesn't want to just replace the cylinder. He doesn't think it is worth the potential for it not to work. He's asking $4k for a rebuild. I live around Boston - any advice?

.b
westy78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: 1977, #3 sucking oil Reply with quote

For 4k send it to Jake Raby and have an engine you dont have to worry about for a long time. That is ALOT for just a stock rebuild. I would kind of agree on not replacing just one piston. While your there might as well replace them all. Are you sure its the piston or do you just need new rings? If it only needs new rings you may get away without having to mess with the pistons.
nodtobob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:46 pm    Post subject: 1977, #3 sucking oil Reply with quote

If the lower end is still good why go with a rebuild automatically unless it is old and has extreme freeplay from worn bearings and it grumbles. Just do an upper end rebuild or like westy78 said go with the one cylinder or new rings if thats the case and you need to save money. But putting one cylinder in there will not make it balanced with one non-native cylinder in there with the others but it is a quick fix. But if money isn't a problem get a rebuild and get everything new..ie.case, german bearings everything new then it will be done with. That is what i did with my motor. good luck anthony
jargon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 7:20 pm    Post subject: 1977, #3 sucking oil Reply with quote

Out of curiosity - anyone think if I just replace the piston and it is off balance I'll make it across the country and back?

I don't have the money right now for the rebuild.

My plans were to drive to NV in a few weeks for a week, and then back. How bad an idea is this?

Thanks!
.b
vwcampin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 8:10 am    Post subject: 1977, #3 sucking oil Reply with quote

I'd say bad idea. If you are going to need to replace one piston, do the rest. A set of pistons/rings/sleeves is around $300. If you have a space to work and a a decent set of tools, pull the motor yourself with a couple friends and save the money. It's actually not that hard at all and you will learn a lot. You will also be able to tell what condition the rest of your engine is in. I would really not recommend fixing just one piston and heading out on a trip to NV. It will more than likely be hotter than hell and your engine will need to be in top form if you want it to run cool. Better to do it right, then get stranded in the desert in NV. Good luck. I've done the shortcut method and been burned before, it can be an expensive learning curve:)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jake Raby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That rebuild is not "Stock" but balanced twice as good, blueprinted 50% better and dyno tuned....The engine will make more power, run smoother and cooler and get 5+mph more than the factory powerplant.

A "stock" engine takes us aslong as a big one-No joke.
"I've never given anyone Hell, I just told them the truth and they thought it was Hell"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: